RTAs in Iraq in Afghanistan

dexey said:
Pay_Mistri said:
dexey said:
it seems to be about 10% of deaths in Iraq are RTA. That seems a lot.
Your statistic is a bit meaningless.
.... stringent force protection measures are taken to reduce their frequency, and they include restrictions on driver hours.

Pay_Mistri.
To be more specific: it seems that 10% of deaths of service personnel in Iraq are RTA's.
My enquiry was prompted by an observation in a book that suggested that tiredness was a factor and that tiredness was caused by restrictions on driver's hours not being robustly observed. However, that seems to be refuted by the replies in this thread which I accept.

Dexey

Driving in Iraq is not a routine task - it is virtually an act of war in itself. As mentioned above, speed can sometimes be seen as a force protection measure in its own right - there is a balance between the risk of an RTA and that of an IED.

In addition to the insurgency threat, I believe there are probably few other countries in the world where you are regularly likely to encounter an HGV travelling at night, without any lights, the wrong way up a 6 lane highway.

Drivers hours legislation is effectively a peace time diktat. That said, it is MoD policy to comply wherever possible. Commanders take this very seriously but operational needs will come first, and an element of risk management may be required.

There are plenty more non-fatal RTAs than those that get reported and the reasons behind all of these are carefully analysed and appropriate advice promulgated to reduce recurrence. In fact, there is a Warrant Officer at 2* HQ level (the Force Master Driver) who's sole task is pretty well to minimise RTAs.

In terms of barking up trees (or indeed climbing on bandwagons, if I may mix cliches), your contribution could hardly have been seen as supportive of British soldiers really, could it?

In any case, I hope we have now clarified matters.

Having the dubious pleasure of being involved in RTAs in both Iraq and Afghanistan I can safely say that in my experience none of my crashes was due to fatigue.

One was due to my 4wd becoming a 2wd on a slippery afghan road when a driveshaft sheared and my driver having leared to drive in a BMP! I ended up standing on him when the vehicle eventually stopped rolling.

My Iraqi RTAs, and I've been in too many, were either due to crap driving by the local population or by cnuts driving in US military vehicles. Without breaking into the blue on blue thread blue on white in Iraq accounts for far too many RTAs

I did once crash a military vehicle due to fatigue but that was in Gateshead and nothing to do with any reckless commander ordering me to drive, just a late night hanging one on in catterick the night before.......

Having the dubious pleasure of being involved in RTAs in both Iraq and Afghanistan I can safely say that in my experience none of my crashes was due to fatigue.

One was due to my 4wd becoming a 2wd on a slippery afghan road when a driveshaft sheared and my driver having leared to drive in a BMP! I ended up standing on him when the vehicle eventually stopped rolling.

My Iraqi RTAs, and I've been in too many, were either due to crap driving by the local population or by cnuts driving in US military vehicles. Without breaking into the blue on blue thread blue on white in Iraq accounts for far too many RTAs

I did once crash a military vehicle due to fatigue but that was in Gateshead and nothing to do with any reckless commander ordering me to drive, just a late night hanging one on in catterick the night before.......

[/quote]
In terms of barking up trees (or indeed climbing on bandwagons, if I may mix cliches), your contribution could hardly have been seen as supportive of British soldiers really, could it?
[/quote]

I really do not understand your reply, Dilfor. Are you now saying that I am jumping on a band wagon? If you are what bandwagon is it? My 'contribution' was a question to seek clarification. How on earth can that be construed as non supportive of British Soldiers? You're not a nu labour wonk getting in your defence first are you Dilfor?