Rt.Hon.mr.Brown in the ME

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080720/ap_on_re_mi_ea/mideast_brown;_ylt=Ak8IP9TGz2wn7CGWhnTV8yBw24cA

In his first trip to Israel and the Palestinian territories as Britain's leader, Brown repeatedly stressed that economics are key to Mideast peace, and said Israel should ease travel restrictions in the West Bank that have hindered commerce.

But his strongest comments were reserved for the settlements: "I think the whole European Union is very clear on this matter: We want to see a freeze on settlements."

"Settlement expansion has made peace harder to achieve. It erodes trust, it heightens Palestinian suffering, it makes the compromises Israel needs to make for peace more difficult," Brown said at a news conference with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in the West Bank town of Bethlehem.
From formal point of view highly esteemed mr.Brown is right. However, taking into account approaching elections in the UK it was a mistake to make such a statement (about settlements). Without complete, unconditional support of Israel electoral perspectives of the Labour become quite uncertain (more right quite certain).

If I were mr.Brown I would use another wording, make another accents, underline security of Israel as a paramount.

In comparison with such an excellent politician as mr.Blair image of talented mr.Brown is rather bleak.

KGB_resident said:
In comparison with such an excellent politician as mr.Blair image of talented mr.Brown is rather bleak.
You are not alone.

I think we all appreciate your grasp of the British understatement.

msr

Without complete, unconditional support of Israel electoral perspectives of the Labour become quite uncertain (more right quite certain).
Not unless there is a massive contingent of Jews in middle England that I've overlooked.

Perhaps Mr. Brown is sick and tired of the Israeli government taking and not giving? Perhaps he's sick and tired of having to always pussyfoot around Israeli Government sensibilites? Perhaps he's sick and tired of doling out money to the Israeli Government, on the promise of peace discussions happening?

Maybe he's realised all the money being donated to the Israeli Government is simply enabling them to build settlements quickly and cheaply?

Or pehaps he's not bothered because he's not using fundraisers with close ties to Tel Aviv?

ugly

LE
30 million of my money squandered on more lying thieving asswipes and not even at home either!
Good at giving away our money isnt he?

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There I feel a bit better now!

parapauk said:
Without complete, unconditional support of Israel electoral perspectives of the Labour become quite uncertain (more right quite certain).
Not unless there is a massive contingent of Jews in middle England that I've overlooked.
Parapauk, I'm sure that you personally have your own position, that you are absolutely free from external influence. But sad truth of our political realities is widespread usage of polit-technologies, political ads, black propaganda and so on. It requires a lot of money. And those who pay are able to determine future governments. It is true not only in the UK but in other countries (including Russia).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ahams-hints-at-frequent-meetings-with-PM.html

David Abrahams, the secret donor who is facing a police investigation, suggested yesterday that he had met Gordon Brown as many times as he had "eaten porridge" in the morning.
Young, active and talented mr.Cameron is fighting for Jewish donations as well. And it looks as he is winning.

http://www.thejc.com/home.aspx?ParentId=m11s19s116&SecId=116&AId=46698&AType

The biggest Jewish donor to the party while Mr Cameron has been leader is gaming magnate Lord Steinberg, who has donated £530,000, plus a loan of £250,000. Hedge-fund owner Stanley Fink has donated £103,000, even though he was a declared supporter of Mr Cameron’s leadership rival, Liam Fox. A further £250,000 has been loaned by philanthropist Dame Vivien Duffield.

During Mr Cameron’s campaign to lead his party, Jewish figures gave his team (as opposed to the party) additional donations of more than £60,000. According to the JC’s inquiries, direct donations to “Team Cameron” in the leadership battle came from philanthropist Trevor Pears (around £20,000), Bicom chair Poju Zabludowicz (£15,000 plus £25,000 to the party), Next chief executive Simon Wolfson (£10,000 plus £50,000 to the party), former Carlton TV boss Michael Green (£10,000) and Tory deputy treasurer and key Cameron fundraiser Andrew Feldman (£10,000 through his family firm, Jayroma).
So taking into account unwise (from my point of view) statement made by mr.Brown about settlements it seems to me that the Conservatives are in a better position.

PartTimePongo said:
Perhaps Mr. Brown is sick and tired of the Israeli government taking and not giving? Perhaps he's sick and tired of having to always pussyfoot around Israeli Government sensibilites? Perhaps he's sick and tired of doling out money to the Israeli Government, on the promise of peace discussions happening?

Maybe he's realised all the money being donated to the Israeli Government is simply enabling them to build settlements quickly and cheaply?

Or pehaps he's not bothered because he's not using fundraisers with close ties to Tel Aviv?
Who knows PTP, who knows. However apparently our Israeli friends openly ignore 'hints' made by the master of 10.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080724...alestinians;_ylt=Aq16LFmrB6jVGL020wSbWpFw24cA

A key committee has approved construction of the first new Jewish settlement in the West Bank in a decade, an Israeli official said Thursday. The news infuriated Palestinians, who said the decision could cripple peace efforts.
Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat accused Israel of undermining U.S.-backed peace talks.

"This is destroying the process of a two-state solution," Erekat said. "I hope the Americans will make the Israelis revoke the decision. I think they can make the Israelis do this."

The U.S. Embassy had no comment. But on her last visit to the region in June, U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said settlement building "has the potential to harm the negotiations."
It is interesting to hear mr.Brown's comments. Maybe learned mr.Milliband would like to make a statement.

Also what would be a reaction of mr.Blair?

PTP,

I am tempted to post something but believe I did therefore I would be breaking OPSEC, but with your comments I'll think that you'll find that Britain FP interests lie a lot more deeper in Israel, than what your Joe average actually know. There is just more than what meets the eye here, a lot more.

ugly

LE
AndyPipkin said:
The UK and Israel have never been particularly close, except for 1956.
There has been an awful lot of military science cooperation especially with regard to Soviet technology, we have had scientists in newly captured areas testing abandoned vehicles and systems as soon as possible after each little war!
Thats how reactive armour was developed!
There is no opsec on this as the chap responsible did a good program on tv about it this year!