RSMs and PCS. Again

Hello,

Not sure if this is in the right section, but I've just come across this:

ABN 81 states:

BACKGROUND
3. At the 2013 RSM’s Convention, CGS gave verbal direction that units could wear the Combat Uniform jacket how they wished in barracks so long as there was consistency within the unit as a whole. This Army Briefing Note codifies that direction.
DIRECTION
4. Units may wear MTP in any of the following configurations:
• Jacket tucked in1 with sleeves rolled down.
• Jacket tucked in with sleeves rolled up.
• Jacket out with sleeves rolled down.
• Jacket out with sleeves rolled up.
5. Units are to publish the manner of wearing Combat Uniform on Part One orders.
6. When on detached duty or on a course, all ranks are to conform to local direction.
7. Part 10 of Army Dress Regulations on the PS12(A) Team Site will be updated in due course.
Now this isn't a down/out/up/in question, but what actually gets discussed at these conventions other than the ridiculous notion of wearing of a 'jacket' tucked in? What influence do they have? Is it all a waste of time and just a talking shop for crusty RSMs?

Or do they make representations, deal with thorny issues and actually improve conditions for Tommy Atkins?

Or, CGS was fed up of people's whinging about how an item of clothing (termed a Jacket, yes, but fairly similar to a shirt. Not the first time the army has used a name for something that isn't quite accurate) and gave the polite version of 'I don't ******* care. Really, really, couldn't give a purple monkey's crap. I've more important things to worry about. Just make sure that all of you in the same Regiment look the same.

No doubt someone will be along shortly with the definitive answer, but there does seem to be a tendency everywhere (and not just in the army) to discuss the little, concrete things, rather than dealing with the more important but more difficult issues.

A few decades ago on Cyprus, someone came back from some highish-level meeting of Royal Signals head honchos on the island complaining that they had spent most of the meeting discussing whether WRAC personnel attached to Royal Signals (that dates this dit!) were to wear Royal Signals stable belts and Royal Signals badges, WRAC belts and WRAC badges, sigs belts and WRAC badges, or WRAC belts and sigs badges.

T

Taffd

Or, CGS was fed up of people's whinging about how an item of clothing (termed a Jacket, yes, but fairly similar to a shirt. Not the first time the army has used a name for something that isn't quite accurate) and gave the polite version of 'I don't ******* care. Really, really, couldn't give a purple monkey's crap. I've more important things to worry about. Just make sure that all of you in the same Regiment look the same.
I think his exact words were, 'Get a fuckin' grip'.

R

really?_fascinating

No the army board wasted time on it too. And the direction (orders) were.....

Do as you wish. Helpful and unambiguous?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

No doubt someone will be along shortly with the definitive answer, but there does seem to be a tendency everywhere (and not just in the army) to discuss the little, concrete things, rather than dealing with the more important but more difficult issues.
Modern RSMs couldn't deal with difficult issues. Thick cnuts.

Dear God. If the Grown Ups (and the rest of us for that matter) spent half as much time thinking about stuff that matters as we spend wittering on endlessly about uniforms, we'd be The Best Army In The World.

I have a thread for that, however it seems to be lacking in suggestions: The Bigger Things ^~

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Not just RSMs that have to debate such important issues. A few years ago as a staffy I was making my way down Sir Isaac Newton Way in rig when a bloke on a bike zipped past me, also in rig. About 50 yards down he'd slowed and U-turned with purpose as he caught back up with me giving it the whole "Oi... Fella!"

It had been a long time since I'd been 'Fella'd" and initially I looked behind me to see if it was fact it was someone else he was gripping. Nope, it was definitely me - and it was the Corps ASM. Naturally I paid the correct compliments and he was like "what's that badge on your arm?" At this point he seemed to be a little perturbed that my TRF was not the regulation 12cm down my right shoulder as I had a DZ flash there instead in accordance with my unit regs.

After explaining this, along with the assurance it was not my idea to wear such an arrangement, he seemed quite determined to take this up with my unit at the earliest opportunity.

As he rode off I thought to myself that if I work hard and keep my nose down, I too could be rewarded with a job whereby my major priorities are 4cm wide badges and their positions on uniform.

Cynical I know. But he "fella'd" me, so feckin 'av it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Old & Bold 0
giles1969 Seniors 45
k613 Int Corps 27