RSM of the Army's Challenge Coin?

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
Taken from the Fill Your Boots page.

It appears that the Army RSM is getting Challenge Coins.

I have always thought this a quaint tradition of the cousins, if this is a real initiative what are folks opinions?

I can see it as a quick 'win' in people being recognised for their work, ie the Army Big Badge popping in to their unit and handing these out to worthy recipients. But are they really worth it? Will the young lads be chuffed to get one? Who decides who gets one? (obviously the donator, but on who's opinions?)

For what it's worth I have two pieces of paper I have held on to. One is a letter from the then SO1 soldiers in MCM Div, congratulating me on my promotion to LCpl way back in 97. It was typed, but had enough detail in to show it was pretty individual to my good self, complete with hand signed salutation and sign off. IIRC many LCpl in those days were promoted by unit, rather than APC so SO1 Soldiers probably didn't have to write too many of these! It still sits in my PDR. I've got to be honest, I don't think I'd give this the same esteem.

Where do we go from here? I believe we have a fair few of these 'Command Sgt Majors' (formerly Corps RSM etc), do they get challenge coins to dish out?

What about Bde Sgt Majors? Actual RSMs? COs, GOCs et al?

Taken from the Fill Your Boots page.

It appears that the Army RSM is getting Challenge Coins.

I have always thought this a quaint tradition of the cousins, if this is a real initiative what are folks opinions?

I can see it as a quick 'win' in people being recognised for their work, ie the Army Big Badge popping in to their unit and handing these out to worthy recipients. But are they really worth it? Will the young lads be chuffed to get one? Who decides who gets one? (obviously the donator, but on who's opinions?)

For what it's worth I have two pieces of paper I have held on to. One is a letter from the then SO1 soldiers in MCM Div, congratulating me on my promotion to LCpl way back in 97. It was typed, but had enough detail in to show it was pretty individual to my good self, complete with hand signed salutation and sign off. IIRC many LCpl in those days were promoted by unit, rather than APC so SO1 Soldiers probably didn't have to write too many of these! It still sits in my PDR. I've got to be honest, I don't think I'd give this the same esteem.

Where do we go from here? I believe we have a fair few of these 'Command Sgt Majors' (formerly Corps RSM etc), do they get challenge coins to dish out?

What about Bde Sgt Majors? Actual RSMs? COs, GOCs et al?
What was the 2nd bit of paper ????

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
This is a proper Challenge coin

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I have served in several Regts, including my present one that has a CO's coin/award/certificate. Normally presented at CO's PT

I think low level recognition a good thing myself :)

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Army Reserve 6
The_Rocket_Man Military History and Militaria 10
J REME 0