RSM John Lord

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Squiggles, Jul 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm trying to find a book called "To Revel in God's sunshine" by Richard Alford, which is the biography of the legendary RSM Lord.

Has anyone got the book, read the book or any better at Googling than me as I can't find it!

Can anyone recommend any other books about John Lord?
  2. All I've been able to find is this:

On the Word Of Command: A Pictorial History of the Regimental Sergeant Major. Richard Alford. Tunbridge Wells, Kent: Spellmount, 1990.

To Revel in God’s Sunshine: The Story of the Army Career of the Late Academy Sergeant Major J. C. Lord, MVO, MBE. Compiled by Richard Alford. Kendal, Cumbria: Westmorland Gazette, 1981.

Don't know if it'll be of any help, but I thought I'd let you know!
  3. You could try "abe books", just put it in your address box.
  4. Thanks Dozybint, I found reference to the book (not the one you gave me so thanks) but cant find the book itself anywhere.

Several good stories / anacdotes about JC Lord out there, but no bloddy book!!

no luck on abe books :(
  5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

'On the Word of command' is a superb book and throughly recommended. Good chapter on WO1 (ASM) Lord.
  6. we have quite a bit of info on rsm john lord in the musuem-including john lords para regiment song book from his time as a pow in stalag xib here in fallingbostel.
    ive also got photo copies of his notes on his de breif and treatment as a pow.
  7. RSM J C Lord gets a mensh in a book on British PoWs in Germany that I bought for a gift (quick read through while wrapping). Name escapes me for now but the man sounds like a bonafide military monarch. Captured at Arnhem IIRC, undaunted.

Not what you're after but may contribute to the man's overall bio.
  8. Ex PARA in my Legion branch told me this story about Mr Lord. Apparently even though he was RSM of a PARA battalion, he insisted on wearing his Guards forage cap. So whilst at a urine-up in the Sgts Mess his cap was destroyed. The other Sgts couldn't wait to see hm on parade the next morning without the cap. However they were disappointed when he marched on the next morning complete with forage cap slashed peak and all.

He had noticed his cap had gone missing, twigged what was going on and promptly sent the battalion's despatch rider on a motorbike to Welly B to pick up a replacement...
  9. I have an original copy of the book, signed by Richard Alford and Ray Sheriff.

I've had it for a good few years now, it originated from Terence Wise Military Books in Knighton, Powys
  10. Just read the BBC link.

This is outstanding...

Just wondering why the R.Sigs don't let in Techs with colour blindness?

How he managed to get "black bastarsd raped my etc" in Braille on those wire wound resistors and caps. My hat gos off to him twice.
  11. Thanks, they've changed their name to Bellona Books now. Will give them a try.

If they don't have it, you wouldn't lend me it would you :eek:
  12. Thanks, just bought it online!