RS/MTI roll

Discussion in 'REME' started by plw1970, Oct 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As an RS SNCO and a transferee from the Infantry, I have found myself in a no win situation. Since a former DEME(A) now resigned! decided there was no room in the a technical corps for non tradesman (RS), the jobs we used to have like CQMS, CSM's in Battalions, Wksps and other cushy numbers have now been classed as Un-Spec and therefore open to anyone. We have been bannished to training establishments and doomed to never be promoted or posted again!! But wait, MTI's! What a good idea, lets take guys out of trade, give them skill fade, send them to Pirbright without the necessary qualifications to hinder the training team they are now employed by. Send them away to get coursed up for their new employment just in time for them to go back to trade, pure genius!! What about the poor RS? well most of us are on or close to final tours so there ends the problem. I ask now, what is the future of our corps, and who will train you when the dinasour becomes extinct?

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't worry, by that time the next DEME(A) will have solved all our problems.

It's what he's for, after all :)

3. As all phase 1 training moves ever closer to complete intergration - all corps/trades/badges in the same place, the REME MTI is a way of making sure that under such a system new entrants to the Corps have at least some contact with their soon-to-be-bretheren.

As to the common-sense of it all and the practicalities of it, who can say - not me for sure, I've had the party line from Comd ES on how its good for promotion for the MTI and good for the early stages of the new lads/lasses careers, but it really needs someone more familiar with the whole drive toward the future training ethos - the now failed HMS Sultan thing etc etc - as I'm not entirely sure as to how they plan to conduct phase one in future.

Be interesting to hear some 'grown-ups' have a go at this one for a change instead of it just descending to an RS bashing sesh - not that RS dont deserve it mind - they do, tossers..........

BS

4. Vision of the Future:

We will all wear the same capbadge and headress. No more regimental names just numbers e.g. 1st regiment of the 3rd brigade of 1Div. Basic Training will be conducted in one large"Super-depot" following a Common Military Syllabus with continuation training at different at the requisite trade schools. So an MTI post is open to all in the Army irrespective of trade. Every soldier will also have to have a military skill that is taught in Super-depot on the CMS before they can be promoted to SGT lets say. So off they goes to super-depot and spends two years instructing an endless sea of blank faces in one subject, mapreading for example, until it is time for them to resume their normal job. (non-gender specific terms used to avoid upsetting the Bra-burning PC pinko liberals out there and any women)

The RAF do it this way now, so if there are any E-goaters out there who can contribute to this debate, come on in.

5. plw1970 please explain to me how i hinder the training team i am attached to, as i am more qualified than some of your rs corporals who are SAA qualified and maybe one other, granted some of them do bring past infantry experience with them which is an absolute asset and a valuable teaching tool as they have normaly passed brecon in the process.

however in the case of MTI'S we have to be SAA, DRILL and one other preferably 2 in my case BCDT and CBRN, we also bring a wealth of operational experience and a variety of postings, 3 inf, 2 armd and a engineer regt,

i was qualified before i arrived at pirbright and have therefore have contributed fully to my training team at the moment on my 5th intake.

so please just explain to me so i know where im going wrong why im a burden and also the other 4 of my fellow tradesmen who are MTI'S

6. this is just part of us going full circle in the end there will be no reme just tradesmen capbadged to the regiment they support wearing a trade badge ala sigs plt we will follow civvy street where they now are going to people who work on stuff are able to mend it when it goes wrong saves on manpower therrefore money in the end

7. i can answer that but have not got time this week

you don't start learning till your 6th wing beater

ask the oc, he'll explane your last cr to you :D

8. would that be explain mr h))k you illiterate dyslexic mong lol

just as well you dont need to be able to spell to be a force protection sergeant

ha you stay safe and ill see you back in sunny pirbright soon oh and this OC seems to like me so i might get a semi decent confidential this time round lol

9. <<<<<As an RS SNCO and a transferee from the Infantry, I have found myself in a no win situation. Since a former DEME(A) now resigned! decided there was no room in the a technical corps for non tradesman (RS), the jobs we used to have like CQMS, CSM's in Battalions, Wksps and other cushy numbers have now been classed as Un-Spec and therefore open to anyone.>>>>

While I sympathise with your position I fel it only fair that the corps should limit these ""cushy numbers" to people who have spent years in the corps doing all the dirty jobs. Ask yourself if it would be fair for REME tradesmen who, naturally, want a nice cushy billet in there last years were posted to infantry regiments as CQMSs and such.

10. our unit recently had the MTI brief and the rodney who gave the brief admitted in his opinion that it was an ill thought out concept. lets face it with undermanning levels as they are you cannot afford to lose tradesmen from the shop floor. yet another bonkers short term money saving exercise like getting rid of ece's. my units VM's had enough work before ece's where got rid of and now are at breaking point so if they have to lose one to take over the Wksp Sgt Major role it just see's off the remainder.