RRF - Blue Berets

Slight thread drift, but as its taken a bit of a 'crazy head dress concoctions' direction I think special mention should go to all those bands you see during marching season in NI.

All kinds of crazy colours and mixes going on there :lol:

I think RRF also at one point had an exchange (I know PWRR currently do) with the Royal Marines as well, so commando bereted fusiliers was not uncommon.

Do you know when and why?
Infantry battalions had an airborne element, I don't know which Company it was although I know an individual who was in it. There are photos.....I will check for them.
May be the late 80s I'm thinking of.
Some Fusiliers passed P-Coy around that time when 1RRF was in 5 Airborne Brigade and had a para trained element. Initially wearing maroon berets and para smocks that was changed to wearing para wings, no para smocks or berets. The para wings were worn, not the light bulb, as the battalion was in an airborne brigade.
I know no more about para fuzzys.

Not found photos from the 80s, these are RRF with 4 Para around 10 years ago.

Attachments

Last edited:
This is standard practice - Army with Commando Air Squadron who have passed the AACC can wear a green backing behind their cap badge on a light blue beret. If you haven't passed the AACC, you wear the dark blue backing.
That makes no sense. Surely if they'd passed the AACC and were operating within the brigade then they would wear the full lid - like everyone else - presumably with AAC dark blue backing (which is part of the badge set up).

As for hackles: they technically constitute part of the head dress and not the cap badge, therefore an attached arm from the RRF (etc) shouldn't really take the hackle over with them to 5 Bde/16AA, though it appears they did.

The whole thing appears to be a total cluster - like the Guards Para Coy. Why are they wearing Para Reg badges (albeit with HD backings) if they're technically attached to the regiment? Surely it should be guards badges with backing on maroon lids? It probably harks back to the old Guards Para Coy, but it's all a bit mental.

Weirdest combo for me was seeing an A&SH badge crammed on to an AAC lid, though an RAF officer's beret badge on a Commando lid also looked a bit odd.

That makes no sense. Surely if they'd passed the AACC and were operating within the brigade then they would wear the full lid - like everyone else - presumably with AAC dark blue backing (which is part of the badge set up).

As for hackles: they technically constitute part of the head dress and not the cap badge, therefore an attached arm from the RRF (etc) shouldn't really take the hackle over with them to 5 Bde/16AA, though it appears they did.

The whole thing appears to be a total cluster - like the Guards Para Coy. Why are they wearing Para Reg badges (albeit with HD backings) if they're technically attached to the regiment? Surely it should be guards badges with backing on maroon lids? It probably harks back to the old Guards Para Coy, but it's all a bit mental.

Weirdest combo for me was seeing an A&SH badge crammed on to an AAC lid, though an RAF officer's beret badge on a Commando lid also looked a bit odd.
A former Commanding Officer of mine was an Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officer attached to 42 Cdo during a particularly vigorous period of their existence; he was indeed Commando qualified and I oft wondered if he ever shoehorned his cap badge onto a green beret.

Various comments above concerning Scots Div pilots lead me to suspect he just wore his usual headdress with a Dagger on his arm whilst at 42.

Last edited:
Infantry battalions had an airborne element, I don't know which Company it was although I know an individual who was in it. There are photos.....I will check for them.
May be the late 80s I'm thinking of.
Some Fusiliers passed P-Coy around that time when 1RRF was in 5 Airborne Brigade and had a para trained element. Initially wearing maroon berets and para smocks that was changed to wearing para wings, no para smocks or berets. The para wings were worn, not the light bulb, as the battalion was in an airborne brigade.
I know no more about para fuzzys.

Not found photos from the 80s, these are RRF with 4 Para around 10 years ago.
I was in 1 RRF at that time,I don't remember seeing anyone wearing maroon lids. Sometimes they,and other colours,were worn in NI in an attempt to confuse the Provo's int section.

There's an ex-1RRF bloke on one of the military collector's forums who provided the details having been one of those who passed P Coy at that time

There's an ex-1RRF bloke on one of the military collector's forums who provided the details having been one of those who passed P Coy at that time
A load of us deployed to the Falklands in 1990,that could be why I don't remember blokes wearing red berets.
I don't doubt your word mate,I just find it curious.

You're not doubting my word - it's just the info I've been given, I wasn't there so I can simply go by what I read or am told - you've just added to what I "know" with what you've said.

(which is part of the badge set up).
All 'normally' attached ranks such as REME, RLC, wear the dark patch behind their cap badge so I would suggest it is part of the beret set up rather than the cap badge. Looking at it from a simply practical point of view most cap badges, including AAC, would 'dissapear' on a light blue background.

I have seen Cdo and Para berets with AAC capbadge on stable belt coloured patch.

This would sort it all out though:

What is that?

Did someone raid Hermann Goring's dressing up box?
If I remember correctly, it was a trial commissioned by the bloke wearing it in the hope that the AAC would roll it out as the norm.

Im not sure that the Corps dress committee were too taken especially as the bloke under it in the photo was court martialled.

Im sure I read on ARRSE that this hat is now in the Corps Museum?

Thought you said
If I remember correctly, it was a trial commissioned by the bloke wearing it in the hope that the AAC would roll it out as the norm.

Im not sure that the Corps dress committee were too taken especially as the bloke under it in the photo was court martialled.

Im sure I read on ARRSE that this hat is now in the Corps Museum?
Thought you said it was commissioned for a trial? A court martial's like a trial, so figures.
Looks horrible but then I suppose dark blue caps with light blue band and piping were already taken by RAEC and 22nd SAS.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Fashion police bust him ?

There were a couple of lads from X PARA (Maybe 4?) who mobilised from Chilwell in 2000 and attached to 2RRF.
It did seem odd watching them patrol Pristina with an maroon beret and RRF hackle?

I've seen attached 17/21 Lancers wearing their Chad with RRF hackle.