RRF - Blue Berets

I once saw (possibly in Soldier), a photo of the then Comd 5 AB Bde taking a salute. I think it was Graeme Lamb, and he was wearing his QO Hldrs/Hldrs Service Dress including kilt, and a maroon beret with Brigadiers cap badge, however he had styled his beret as close to a ToS as he could with his cap badge literally over his left ear.
Funnily enough, I remember seeing that photo as well. Always stuck in my mind. Sure he had SF wings up too? Late 90's?

Was an RRF officer in 16 Bde in 2006, he wore a maroon beret complete with red and white hackle. Looked crazy.

Few years later I noticed the OC of PF was from a Jock Bn. He wore a maroon lid c/w his own massive Jock capbadge. Also looked crazy.
4 Para were at Shaiba in 05-06 (Telic 7),with reinforcements from other capbadges.At least one was from 6RRF,maroon lid mit hackle.
I thought he looked like a total throbber,and I was not alone.

Was an RRF officer in 16 Bde in 2006, he wore a maroon beret complete with red and white hackle. Looked crazy.

Few years later I noticed the OC of PF was from a Jock Bn. He wore a maroon lid c/w his own massive Jock capbadge. Also looked crazy.
I once saw (possibly in Soldier), a photo of the then Comd 5 AB Bde taking a salute. I think it was Graeme Lamb, and he was wearing his QO Hldrs/Hldrs Service Dress including kilt, and a maroon beret with Brigadiers cap badge, however he had styled his beret as close to a ToS as he could with his cap badge literally over his left ear.
Going the other way around, I saw a picture once of a PARA soldier who was also a helicopter pilot - wore PARA cap badge on a maroon backing on an AAC sky blue beret!

We seem to have berets of all colours - black, dark blue, sky blue, khaki, rifle green, cypress green, maroon, sandy, light grey, dark grey, emerald grey and even brown.

Just be glad we do not have Orange berets:

or even camo ones....

We seem to have berets of all colours - black, dark blue, sky blue, khaki, rifle green, cypress green, maroon, sandy, light grey, dark grey, emerald grey and even brown.

Just be glad we do not have Orange berets:

or even camo ones....

The Canadian SARTEC’s are wearing red berets, not orange.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
4 Para were at Shaiba in 05-06 (Telic 7),with reinforcements from other capbadges.At least one was from 6RRF,maroon lid mit hackle.
I thought he looked like a total throbber,and I was not alone.
I vaguely recall seeing that bloke. I also remember on that same tour being told by a Fusilier who had mobilised as a Regular Reservist, that fusiliers often took the hackle off from their berets when on patrol etc.

That being said, there was an armoured battalion of RRF on that tour who all seemed to have kept their feathers in.

Going the other way around, I saw a picture once of a PARA soldier who was also a helicopter pilot - wore PARA cap badge on a maroon backing on an AAC sky blue beret!
Saw a RRF officer wearing their badge and hackle in an AAC beret back in the 1970's, also seen an AAC beret with Government Tartan patch and red hackle of the Black Watch.

According to Wikipedia it is Blaze Orange.
The published history of the SARTECs say that the red beret was adopted in 1976 as the standard and never calls it orange. Evidently in the past few year's, it has morphed through the Directorate of Heritage into orange.

This is standard practice - Army with Commando Air Squadron who have passed the AACC can wear a green backing behind their cap badge on a light blue beret. If you haven't passed the AACC, you wear the dark blue backing.

Funnily enough, I remember seeing that photo as well. Always stuck in my mind. Sure he had SF wings up too? Late 90's?
That's the one, and the wings would make sense given Graeme Lamb's CV.

Not strictly berets, but I have also seen RTR & KRH officers attached to the QRH wearing tent caps in their respective regimental colours (black and crimson).

On UNTAT training at Copehill Down, 1994, there was a Gold Sergeant pilot from the Grenadiers present; AAC beret, HDiv beret badge backing and highly polished Grenade.

There must be an award for the contrived/bizarre/unlikely headdress/cap badge combo. Having been present in Enniskillen when The Highlanders sent a Coy Gp down, it always jarred with me seeing attached arm cap badges on the ToS, although the R Irish probably thought the same seeing me in a Caubeen with an RAMC cap badge.

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you Google Last Hussar, you may find an account of a 15/19H reservist, called up for the Balkans after 15/19H had become LD. His reserve kit included a 15/19H badge. He rocked up and was assigned to Scots DG. On arrival at Scots DG he was issued a grey beret which he proceeded to wear with 15/19H badge and (loose) red felt backing. QM Scots DG knew 15/19H had gone, and every time he saw this lad, he berated him, and threatened to get him an LD badge. It never happened. Until LD arrived in theatre and their QM (who'd been a trooper in Command Troop 15/19H same time as me) drove across and presented the trooper with an LD badge.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Please correct me if I'm wrong. But the midnight blue beret showed up like 'little black dots moving about' when viewed through night vision optics. Khaki berets quite mix well with the combat dress and very difficult to see. I have always thought that was the reason for change?

Paras wore, maybe still do, a maroon patche behind the badge on UN berets.

I vaguely recall seeing that bloke. I also remember on that same tour being told by a Fusilier who had mobilised as a Regular Reservist, that fusiliers often took the hackle off from their berets when on patrol etc.

That being said, there was an armoured battalion of RRF on that tour who all seemed to have kept their feathers in.
On my first tour of NI(S.Armagh)we wore berets with blacked out cap badges while out in the cuds.In town it was normally helmets but sometimes,for shits and giggles, we would wear beret and hackle.
It was the First battalion on that tour,beret and hackle to be worn whenever practicable.