RRF and PWRR - booked insight course, but have a question.

Hello,

I completed ADSC recently with a good grade and a 1.5 mile time of 08:55. I wish to serve in the Infantry but am still undecided which regiment to go for. Having read through this forum and taken on board the advice given to many others with similar questions, I appreciate that the only real way to know which regiment is for me is to get on the course, meet the blokes and then decide. Therefore I have booked myself onto an insight course with the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and the PWRR. However, it is still several weeks away and I can't help but get on here and ask about them. I have watched the ARMYjobs videos on YouTube, and read the entries on ARRSEpedia, as well as browsed the forum here.

I am trying to establish whether there any notable differences in the way they go about doing things? Does a certain type of man fit in better with the Fusiliers than the PWRR? I am keen on being as fit as I can, like getting out into the hills, running, etc. Keen to get on and do as many courses to better myself as a soldier when I am in - that is a big motivator for me.

I know every soldier is fiercely proud of his own regiment, so impartial advice from those who have served/worked alongside either regiment is particularly welcomed.

Regards,

Datsun 120Y

Old-Salt
Hello,

I completed ADSC recently with a good grade and a 1.5 mile time of 08:55. I wish to serve in the Infantry but am still undecided which regiment to go for. Having read through this forum and taken on board the advice given to many others with similar questions, I appreciate that the only real way to know which regiment is for me is to get on the course, meet the blokes and then decide. Therefore I have booked myself onto an insight course with the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and the PWRR. However, it is still several weeks away and I can't help but get on here and ask about them. I have watched the ARMYjobs videos on YouTube, and read the entries on ARRSEpedia, as well as browsed the forum here.

I am trying to establish whether there any notable differences in the way they go about doing things? Does a certain type of man fit in better with the Fusiliers than the PWRR? I am keen on being as fit as I can, like getting out into the hills, running, etc. Keen to get on and do as many courses to better myself as a soldier when I am in - that is a big motivator for me.

I know every soldier is fiercely proud of his own regiment, so impartial advice from those who have served/worked alongside either regiment is particularly welcomed.

Regards,

What tends to set regiments apart is recruiting area, role, and "personality" - unit personnel can affect the "feel" of a regiment.

If you choose a regiment that recruits from your area then it's likely that if you don't actually know anyone, you will know the same places and have something in common with guys already there. Think of the role; Armd (Warrior) Mech (Bulldog) or Light (Lots of walking). Look at those factors then visit those battalions that fit your preferences to get a feel of how things are there, and choose the one that you feel comfortable in. Do be aware, though, that between signing up and joining the Battalion key personalities may change and the new Colonel, Stickman, OC etc may do things different that change things slightly. Also be aware that roles do change - 7 Armd Bde losing its Armour in the coming years being a current example, as is 1 RIFLES recent departure from 3 CDO Bde

I appreciate that the only real way to know which regiment is for me is to get on the course, meet the blokes and then decide.
The probability is that you are unlikely to see/work with whoever you meet on your course again, and as has been said it can not only all change overnight depending on COs, RSMs, etc, but far more importantly it will be down to the individuals in your section /platoon and that's just the luck of the draw.

Look at where they're based and current and future roles, and make your decision based solely on that rather than on personalities.

On a good day I have worked with outstanding soldiers from both regiments; on a bad day, both have fielded absolute wasters in equal amounts. Don't be influenced by personalities you may never see again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
diehard57 Infantry 136
fantassin Infantry 15
R Classified Ads 2

Latest Threads