RPOD - Minimum mileage

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by daylightshrubbery, Dec 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now that there is no personal contribution, changed in Feb 05. Is their still a requirement to live more than 3 miles away from your place of duty??

Out of the Pay world for a few years and just wondering if anyone has re-interpreted the rules yet??

Ta very much

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Just checked. 3 miles remains the minimum distance you can claim for.

3. Do you get paid for the 3 miles or is it just the distance over 3 miles? i.e. if you are 3.5 miles from work do you only get the allowance for the half mile?

4. in_the_cheapseats

You get paid for the 3 miles. I can't answer your second q but doubt if they do %, just whole numbers. It is the AGC (SPS) after all and they seem to have difficulty enough with those 8O

5. Disregarding your SPS-bashing remark I can confirm that you do not get paid for bits of miles - just whole numbers. And because we are a caring Corps we round up or down depending on whether we like you or not.

OK - actually half mile upwards is rounded up and less than half a mile is rounded down.

And we really do like the green berets, honestly .......

6. Sorry, I didn't word my post properly. I understand that the qualifying distance is 3 miles, and the rounding up or down bit. But is it just the distance over 3 miles that you get an allowance for, or is the initial 3 miles also included? The reason I ask is that I live 3.1 miles from work and have been told that I'm not entitled to any RPOD. Is this correct?

7. Just checked BR1950 ch14 para1427; You are entitled to three miles RPOD if the pay clerk likes you and four miles RPOD if they don't.

They must really dislike you.

8. in_the_cheapseats

No, As at feb this year you are entitled to all the cash from a journey of 3 miles length. Under the old rules you didn't get this but as daylight shubbery says, under the new rules, there is no personal contribution.ie you used to give up your first three miles of a journey in a claim (your contribution). That is no longer the case. The whole journey length is now valid.

9. Under JPA the minimum qual distance is 1mile from camp.

10. in_the_cheapseats

And JPA will be introduced in which century to the Army?

11. in_the_cheapseats

Sarcasm obviously missed you. However, since you seem to be in the know....

1. I take it JPA then has a different rules base for claims than the current manual ones?
    2. If so why? As JPA is not coming in in one go but gradually ujnit by unit we therefore have different rules for different units.
    3. Where are these rules published as, as JPA is already in, I should surely be able to claim RPOD at the new and improved rate that it gives?

Edited once for finger prrroblems :)

12. It doesn't matter which year it is introduced to the army in the 21st century. This will probably be effective from 1/4/06 when the RAF go live, as it is has been harmonised tri service. :wink:

13. 1. I believe they are slightly different to the current ones as they have to be harmonised tri service where there were differences.

2. See 1. I thought JPA was introduced by service big bang style ie wef 1/4/6 all RAF go live from that day.

3. Where is it in ?

14. in_the_cheapseats

Can't say but there are the test bed centres and presumably the are already working on the new rates?

15. in_the_cheapseats

I stand corrected.