RPG Users

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Rumpelstiltskin, Jun 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick Q:

When you see Terry types - or even ANA/ANP- with RPGs, that's all they're carrying: RPGs. No slung AKs or anything else.

That surely wouldn't that have been Soviet/GENFORCE usage as well, would it?

2. Nope - Sovs also carried AK. The initial SAGGER missile (Malyutka) had a minium arming distance of 500 meters so the 4 man team deployed with the missiles, launchers and 2 RPG launchers for less than 500 metres engagement.

Source - my Soviet/Russian paratrooper colleague.

3. Excellent, thanks r-m.

I wonder why, East of Suez, RPG-toters don't have a back-up wpn..?

4. Jim Short(t)?

5. Nope - a Pukovnik in the VDV currently detached to an International Organisation here in the Balkans.

Now run along before your mum notices you are out by yourself.

6. I'll mark that down as a bite shall I? :)

7. You may indeed :twisted: :oops:

8. msr

msr LE

Pukovnik?

Does that translate as Coonel? Or is he covered in white tufts of seed from Moscow's ubiquitous balsam poplars?

msr

9. Colonel (full)

Whereas here in Balkania it means Lt Col with a full Col being a Brigadier!

Except in the Kon Mar where I believe it is a Corporal 8)

My head hurts.

Edited once to add - DOH! I see where you are coming from - I used the local rank - I meant of course Polkovnik!

Do keep up R-M :D

10. msr

msr LE

I fear you need to be brought home before you 'go native' :)

msr

11. WHAT - you'll be expecting me to pay tax on my ill-gottens next :twisted:

12. Short answer, insurgents prefer to initiate contact with the most casualty producing weapon in their inventory. An RPG amounts to poor man's artillery... it's got quite a bit of shock effect and happens to be real cheap so beligerants in certain parts of the world tend to use them extensively. While the reticule on the good ole RPG-7 is a pain to use for accurate engagement of targets at range, it isn't a drawback when your simply popping up and firing off the odd rocket at a building, vehicle, troops in the open, etc which are within spitting distance.

13. Er, because East of Suez (and South of it) there's less of a warfighting doctrine and associated equipment scalings and more a sense of relief that they've moved on from sharp flints?

14. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

It has been many years since I have been up Afghan, and things may have changed. But if I spotted a Terry carrying a RPG, for instance War of Worldcraft or Dungeons and Harry Potter, my first move would be to ask if he was a 9th Level Palladin Knight. Or a Wizard. Or maybe a Witch with PSI Vampire Powers.

Its all about engaging with the locals.

Hope this helps?