RPG - Rocket Propelled Grenade?

Hi All,
I asked this question in another thread, but didn't get an answer.

Many moons ago, during endless lessons on another countries weapons and tactics, I was taught that RPG didn't actually stand for Rocket Propelled Grenade. Anyone who suggested that it did was quickly and fiercely slapped down, on the basis that it is a shaped charge warhead, not a grenade.

Rocket Propelled Grenade now seems to have slipped into almost universal usage amongst the media in hotspots around the globe.

Am I wrong in being a pedantic git, and throwing things at the tellyy whenever I hear the term used, or I was taught incorrectly?

Do you mean to tell me that BRDM doesn't really mean "Bolshevik recce death machine" then???? I'm so disappointed...

Out of intrigue I looked it up and Longtimeout is right. It means:

Ruchnoy [Handheld] Protivotankoviy [Anti-Tank] Granatomet [Grenade Launcher]

I never knew that.

GDav said:
Out of intrigue I looked it up and Longtimeout is right. It means:

Ruchnoy [Handheld] Protivotankoviy [Anti-Tank] Granatomet [Grenade Launcher]

I never knew that.
I'm a civvie and as such don't have a clue about anything. However, wasn't it said in the first post of this thread that an RPG isn't a grenade. So even if RPG is derived from Russian, it still says grenade in Russian, which means that even the Russian title is wrong.

Of course as I said before:
I'm a civvie and therefore know bugger all about the Army

Don't want to dis you mate but a grenade can be an projectile fired from a launcher, which is exactly what an RPG system is.

Now I'm devastated;

So RPG doesn't actually stand for Rocket Propelled Grenade, but it does mean it.

It would appear that my Inf WO instructors were wrong, but the Journo's are right.

I'm taking the rest of the day off in reflected shame!

GDav said:
Don't want to dis you mate but a grenade can be an projectile fired from a launcher, which is exactly what an RPG system is.
Dis away, as I said;
I'm a civvie and therefore no nothing about the Army

So if it is classed as a grenade then longtimeout has raised a bit of a null point.

The 'Continentals' use the word "Grenade" is a somewhat different sense to us Brits speaking the Queens English.
john
My German boozing buddy uses the expression 'Heavy' to describe a Powerful Motorcycle.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Talking about continentals and grenades, I just popped out to the shop and there was a short French guy with his hand in his jacket (come to think about it he was dressed a bit strangely) he was complaining about losing his grenades. My french isn't that good, but I'm thinking he must have just got of the eurostar. I live in SW1, any ideas where to direct him if I see him again?

[align=center] :twisted: [/align]

Cant the meeja just use 'rocket-launcher'?

Rocket-propelled grenade just sounds like a big green pineapple with a rocket motor attached whizzing through the air!

Why would the Soviets name one of their weapons in an English acronym?

NTM

California_Tanker said:
Why would the Soviets name one of their weapons in an English acronym?

NTM
I suppose the assumption was that the words in Russian started with the same letters as there English equivalents. Rocketski Propelski Grenadski, or some such.

PS I obviously don't speak any Russian!

The use of the term "grenade" has a broader usage in a lot of European languages than in English:

French "grenade"-- grenade or pomegranate -- indeed a grenadier is a pomegranate tree.
Dutch "granaat" -- (normally preceded by "hand" in Dutch) grenade or (artillery) shell
Granate -- also artillery shell, if preceded by "hand" it means "grenade"

Taz_786 said:
Cant the meeja just use 'rocket-launcher'?

Rocket-propelled grenade just sounds like a big green pineapple with a rocket motor attached whizzing through the air!
The RPG-7 is the launcher, the projectile is the PG-7 (Protivotankoviy Granata – anti-tank grenade) that comes in various sub-types. In Soviet/Russian usage, the word “granata” can include a projectile that is launched as well as one that is thrown.

Strictly speaking, no vehicle has ever been destroyed by an RPG-7, because that would mean that the operator has thrown the launcher at the target! It’s the PG-7 that goes bang.

Indeed, the term Granat is also used for artillery HE-Frag rounds by the Russians.

I've been told that the 'R' stands for Raketniy.

So, it's Raketniy (Rocket) Protivotankoviy (Anti-Tank) Granatomet (Grenade launcher).

The Ruchnoy Protivotankoviy Granat is the handthrown types like the RPG40/43 and whatever the postwar one was called.

I'm with Bingo. The R is Racket (Rocket), not Ruchnoi (Hand). Also important is the fact that the launcher is Granatomet, not Granat. Granatomet means grenade launcher, whereas granat means the grenade itself.

So, the tubey doodah for lobbing the bangy things is a: Racketniy Protivotankoviy Granatomet

And the bangy thing itself is: Protivotankoviy Granata

Ahhh, I've got a warm, geeky glow inside now.