RPG 7 Backblast

A golf partner of mine is an author. His current book is a thriller with lots of whizzbangs etc.

He has a baddy opening the back doors of a van and blowing away a car with an RPG.

Backblast thinks I

Never having fired an RPG7 but knowing there are some arrsonist who will have..Is the back blast rom RPG 7 significant and could you fire one out of the back of a van without doing yourself and others a mischief.

All info gratefully received to be passed on on the first tee next week.

http://www.nazarian.no/wep.asp?id=408&group_id=24&country_id=185&lang=0&p=8

The RPG-7 is a further development of the previous RPG-2 antitank grenade launcher. RPG-7, in its first version, known as RPG-7V, has been adopted by Soviet army in 1961, and still is widely fielded in Russia and at least 50 more countries. By far, RPG-7 can be considered as one of the most successful antitank grenade launchers ever made. Initially thought as an anti-armor weapon, it latter has been adopted for other fire-support missions by introduction of various types of grenades, such as anti-infantry HE-FRAG, multi-purpose Thermobaric / FAE, and some other types of ammunition. The antitank grenades for RPG-7 also came a long way, from original PG-7V grenade, with penetration of about 260mm/10inches of RHA, and up to 500mm/20inches of RHA or 1.5 meters/5ft of brick wall with single-warhead PG-7VL grenade, developed in 1977. By the late 1980s, a tandem-type PG-7VR grenade has been introduced. This grenade has two warheads and is intended against the most modern tanks, fitted with ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor). Front warhead sets off the ERA, and second warhead then penetrates more than 600mm/24in of armor.
The RPG-7 is a shoulder fired, single-shot, smoothbore recoilless launcher. Grenades are loaded from the front, and the rear of the barrel is fitted with venturi nozzle. Because of the recoilless design, there is a dangerous backblast zone, more than 20 meters/60ft long. The antitank grenades are of combination type, using a charge of smokeless powder for RCL-type launch. Once grenade reaches safe distance from the shooter (about 10-20 meters), the built-in rocket booster engine ignites and further accelerates the grenade, greatly enhancing the effective range (up to 500+ meters for single warhead grenades, up to 200+ meters for much heavier tandem or FAE grenades). Because of increase in range, RPG-7 is usually issued with 2.7X fixed magnification optical sight, designated PGO-7. The sight has a range-finding scale for typical targets (tanks) with height of 2.7m/9ft, and windage adjustment scales. RPG-7 also fitted with backup iron sights. RPG-7 uses mechanical ignition system with manually cocked external hammer, and a single-action trigger. Because of this, grenade must be properly aligned with the firing mechanism upon loading.
Each AT grenade consists of a large-caliber HEAT warhead with base fuze, with the 40mm diameter rocket engine behind. The rocket nozzles are located at the front of the engine, close to the warhead. The tail of the rocket is fitted with folding stabiliztator fins, which are extended when grenade leaves the barrel. The launch charge, made of black powder, is loaded into a combustible cardboard case, and attached to the rear of the grenade prior to loading into launcher. Grenades and launch charges are carried in special backpacks. By the original soviet standards, grenadier carries two rounds, and his assistant carries three more. There were several minor upgrades to the basic design of the RPG-7 in USSR and Russia, the most important being the RPG-7D, with two-part takedown barrel, which was issued to the airborne troops. Since RPG-7 was, and still is manufactured in many countries (such as Bulgaria, China, Iraq and Romania, to name a few), there are plenty of modifications in launcher, and, more important, in grenades.
RPG-7 is a simple and inexpensive weapon, yet it possess a high threat to most modern tanks, and also can serve in a number of other roles, making it a true one-man artillery.

I seem to remember the IRA finding out this lesson the hard way. I also believe that it has an arming delay/distance once fired.

I remember an urban myth about a Paddy 'somewhere' on the border firing one from inside a car and turning into a toastie. Never did see anything to back this up but it was often repeated.

I do recall three of the first RPG 7 shoots in Belfast against Pigs.
In the first it failed to go off and an Officer appeare on the BBC News explaining how to arm the missile.
A week or so later the same happened and the same dick was on the TV explaining the second arming action after x metres of flight.
And the third? Cost a Tom his legs and the same guy appeared on the News expressing his surprise that the RA had got it right!

It has a back blast a arming distance and also self detonates after so much flight time .Your friend is better off having his use baddie a grenade launcher .There is one availble for the ak74 or the good old rifle grenade
availble for everything.
Its not as easy as it looks to fire accruatly on a range in the ukraine by the end smoke trails looked like the red arrows had done a display :D .
My favorite was the one that hit the ground shot along the ground under the tank then took off and then exploded in mid air .If you fire them in to the air they go really high before exploding as well :D .
There are weapon systems with soft launch abilites ie you can fire them from a room and survive ,but, not as numerous as the rpg 7

Could you not bash up some sort of extended "exhaust" if you like? I'd be suggesting something like a crude metal tube curved to a vent in the vans side, expelling all backblast this way?

Could it work, or is it fantasy?

Could work probably have to involve more enginerring work than it would be worth it .Remeber mad fibua schemes for firing milan and 94 from rooms involved lots of sandbags reinforcement of ceilings and making large holes in the walls behind the launcher .

The_Goon said:
Could you not bash up some sort of extended "exhaust" if you like? I'd be suggesting something like a crude metal tube curved to a vent in the vans side, expelling all backblast this way?

Could it work, or is it fantasy?
I seem to recall that the Somalian militias knocked this sort of thing up during the incidents detailed in "Blackhawk Down".
They had fired on helos previously, but the backblast effectively launched the launcher incl. operator to a great height before splattering them. :p

western said:
I remember an urban myth about a Paddy 'somewhere' on the border firing one from inside a car and turning into a toastie. Never did see anything to back this up but it was often repeated.

In the first it failed to go off and an Officer appeare on the BBC News explaining how to arm the missile.
A week or so later the same happened and the same dick was on the TV explaining the second arming action after x metres of flight.
And the third? Cost a Tom his legs and the same guy appeared on the News expressing his surprise that the RA had got it right!
I seem to remember the same sort of story, only it involved failing to remove a protective nosecap on the missile?

I couldn't remember the detail of the first action, that is why I was vague. The Officer in question should have been shot.

Bambi said:
western said:

I seem to remember the same sort of story, only it involved failing to remove a protective nosecap on the missile?
IIRC (very dimly) ETA rigged up some sort of remote firing of an RPG which actually hit the shutters of the window it was aimed at but hadn't been armed so bounced off. Early 80's I think.

Civvy_Shot said:
IIRC (very dimly) ETA rigged up some sort of remote firing of an RPG which actually hit the shutters of the window it was aimed at but hadn't been armed so bounced off. Early 80's I think.
That sounds very similar to the cultural exchange that happened between ETA and 'Derry PIRA in the early Nineties. The visiting Spaniards were taken to a spot on Bishop's Street Without to witness one of the Heroes of the Revolution firing a homemade RPG in the general direction of Masonic.

(was it called PIRAD? anyway they were bloody funny to do the scene on because the recoil was absorbed by a couple of packets of Rich Tea Biscuits and the projectile was in a large baked bean tin, it was akin to examining the scene of a chimps tea party)

Anyway back to the story; Spaniards are lined up Derry PIRA twinning Committee are hosting, then hero runs out of the shadows, trips, does a 200 yard stumble, has an ND and scares the shit out of a few cobble stones.

I bet there was a few tense moments in the Bogside Inn that night!

western said:

Did he get charged with aiding and abetting the enemy?