Royal Yeomanry v Royal Wessex Yeomanry

Morning all,
Once this Covid 19 has blown over I'm looking to join one of my local Reserve units. Both the Royal Yeomanry and Royal Wessex have taken my fancy and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either that could help make me make my decision. Thank you in advance

Mrsheeny

War Hero
Go down to both units and get a feel for them both. No point deciding until you meet the people there as one group might feel right, the other might not.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Also look at what you want to do. I have heard that getting to be a tank crewman takes a very long time.

As above, take time to go and see. Be aware that individual Squadrons (used to, maybe still have) very individual identities and characters.

Chef

LE
As they seem to be geographically separated wouldn't that figure in your calculations? RY gets my vote. (Though I'm a bit biased having been in them from 1984-2006).

As they seem to be geographically separated wouldn't that figure in your calculations? RY gets my vote. (Though I'm a bit biased having been in them from 1984-2006).
Both RY and RWY are based in the same town nearby to me

22 years is a fair old time! Can I ask what the best and worse bits?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

RY are Light Cavalry. RWY are MBT.

RY stand a good chance of going on deployment in Jackal with QDG (their affiliated regular regiment) and getting time in overseas. When did you last see CR2 deploy?

QDG sit beside LD on the OrBat as Light Cavalry. Both the renowned author, military historian and former CO of 13/18H, Alan Mallinson and I in recent days have posited that LD must be one of the most deployed units in the army.

So it comes down to either play with CR2 but see nothing of the world, or play with Jackal and visit hotspots.

RY are Light Cavalry. RWY are MBT.

RY stand a good chance of going on deployment in Jackal with QDG (their affiliated regular regiment) and getting time in overseas. When did you last see CR2 deploy?

QDG sit beside LD on the OrBat as Light Cavalry. Both the renowned author, military historian and former CO of 13/18H, Alan Mallinson and I in recent days have posited that LD must be one of the most deployed units in the army.

So it comes down to either play with CR2 but see nothing of the world, or play with Jackal and visit hotspots.
Well I think you've sold it to me

Chef

LE

Bearing in mind I've been out for 14 years I'm probably not the best placed individual to ask about the two units. I think @AlienFTM's post is a better guide and as he says it depends on what you want to do, also your commitment as regards time you can spare.

Worst bits? Getting messed around in all conditions and being pushed further than you'd like sometimes.

Best bits? Doing things you'd be unlikely to do in civilian life in the way of activities, courses done and locations visited.

Overall the good bits outweighed the bad bits by a long chalk.

One of the good things about the bad bits is I appreciate the noise of rain on the canvas when we've been camping as a family and thinking:

'We'll go into town today and go letterboxing tomorrow, if it's a nice day'.

Pure luxury.

Dr Death

Old-Salt
If its a name you like one has Wessex in the title & One does not.
But both are fine Reserve units.

Bearing in mind I've been out for 14 years I'm probably not the best placed individual to ask about the two units. I think @AlienFTM's post is a better guide and as he says it depends on what you want to do, also your commitment as regards time you can spare.

Worst bits? Getting messed around in all conditions and being pushed further than you'd like sometimes.

Best bits? Doing things you'd be unlikely to do in civilian life in the way of activities, courses done and locations visited.

Overall the good bits outweighed the bad bits by a long chalk.

One of the good things about the bad bits is I appreciate the noise of rain on the canvas when we've been camping as a family and thinking:

'We'll go into town today and go letterboxing tomorrow, if it's a nice day'.

Pure luxury.

In regards to your comment on commitment to time did you find it hard to manage your civilian and reserve lifestyle?
Also what courses where available to you?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think @AlienFTM's post is a better guide
Bear in mind I was regular 45-30 years ago and never served in the reserve. I have a vested interest in Light Cavalry, being ex 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars (became Light Dragoons, last shake of the dice became Light Cavalry).

All I've done is link the two regiments' websites and provide some spin.

diesel_jim

Swinger
I was LAD REME attached to RWY back in the 90's. They had CVR(T) and (W) then, plus Rovers. They went to the FUCHS NBC wagons for a while, then over to Ch2 but kind of based in Tidworth for vehicles now, although the TAC is still in Swindon (and all the sheds have just been knocked down for new ones to go up, so there's no vehicles there at all at the moment)
Good bunch of lads back then.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say role or deployability is irrelevant to your choice, but by far the most important factor is the character of the squadron you train with. Reserve units vary wildly by enthusiasm & efficiency.

Visit both locations a number of times - which is the slickest, happiest and busiest?

I would rather be with a well led, highly organised mobile bath & laundry unit than a yeomanry squadron if the latter were thin on the ground, trudging around & doing half hearted lessons on a training night.

Last edited:
It’s RWxY, not RWY.

And D Sqn, Royal Devon Yeomanry, although I understand the whole Regt now wears one cap badge rather than the old individual Sqn ones?

Shut the thread.

More seriously, plenty of RWxY have deployed in roles other than MBT BCR.

Snapper 25

Clanker
One thing you also have to consider is that training on tanks would be amazing and a lot of fun but i doubt you will get much time on the platform other than on your annual camp. RY have jackals in all their squadrons, so you will have lots of opportunity to train on them. With the RY you will get to do lots of dismounted infantry training as well which is worth considering if that interests you. RWxY may do as well but i don't know.

Latest Threads