Royal West African Fronter Forces.

The colonial administration of W Africa (particularly Nigeria) did not cover themselves in glory, with regard to recruiting troops for both Divisions.

Simply put, they recruited the 'wrong' people: some bright spark believed that Nigerians from the plains and forests would be as equally at home in the jungles of Burma and Malaya.

Also, immediately post-war, many of those who returned were-administratively-very poorly treated, so much so that there were several mutinies.

Nonetheless, the 'wrong people' managed to aquit themselves rather well; and the Japanese seem to have been terrified of them.

Nonetheless, the 'wrong people' managed to aquit themselves rather well; and the Japanese seem to have been terrified of them.
You misinterpret my comments: 'wrong' as in 'initially, unsuited to their new environment'. That initial phase of operations led to some less than positive comments regarding their fighting effectiveness.

However, as you say, once retrained they proved more than capable of meeting and defeating the Japanese.

Drew5233

Old-Salt
Some sound advice given...Drop me a PM if you want some help. I do quite a lot of research on WW2Talk for forum members from all over the world :)

I wouldn't mind having a look at the collection you have. My grandfather served with one of the Nigerian Regiments. He died in 1992. I have his Burma Star medal, which is in the village house. I look forward to polishing and preserving it better.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads