• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Royal Waltness

was out to a dinner.. met a nice enough fellow who didn't seem to be much of a muchness, runs his own business, etc .etc....however, he was introduced as
Baron of Gilsland, Lord of Walby

googled Baron Gilsland.. seems the title went dormant after the death of ' previous titleholder ' back in 1400 something and estate was split between relatives.. doesn't seem to be his family, though..as for Walby title.. couldn't find it in Debrett's..

I'm supposing he picked it up at the local LoF tuck shop...

Isn't the Queen supposed to keep track of titles gone dormant? Are there any others up for grabs for a buck or two?? Could use something to spruce up my business card.. right now it just says Charleton and Montebank

Rocketeer said:
was out to a dinner.. met a nice enough fellow who didn't seem to be much of a muchness, runs his own business, etc .etc....however, he was introduced as

googled Baron Gilsland.. seems the title went dormant after the death of ' previous titleholder ' back in 1400 something and estate was split between relatives.. doesn't seem to be his family, though..as for Walby title.. couldn't find it in Debrett's..

Isn't the Queen supposed to keep track of titles gone dormant? Are there any others up for grabs for a buck or two?? Could use something to spruce up my business card.. right now it just says Charleton and Montebank
Bloody Normans! What did the French ever do for us?

Rocketeer said:
Are there any others up for grabs for a buck or two?? Could use something to spruce up my business card.. right now it just says Charleton and Montebank
I'm sure if you -ahem- donate to the labour party you may -cough- get a title :D

Rocketeer said:

Fill your boots.

Titles.

Grand idea. I wonder if I can get to be Lord of Brown Willy here in Cornwall, can just imagine answering the phone at work.

"MPGS, Lord Corporal Buggrit of Brown willy speaking!" :lol:

Outstanding 8)

One of my chaps at a previous unit bought a lordship from one of these places, his intention was to be referred to as Senior Aircraftsman the Lord Smoggins.

He was jailed 4 months later for n0bbing a 15 year old - bloody aristocrats!

This post from ham-shank, on this topic, has always amused me:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=871870.html#871870

ham-shank said:
Reminds me of a former acquaintance who, when he found that moving his whole family to Hereford did not give him the 'special' kudos he craved from his colleagues, went out and bought a title for some bog in Scotland (the title Lord ****** of Leominster wasn't available). He then changed his driving license and passport to reflect his new found status. Last time I saw him, he was complaining loudly to a security type at Gatwick airport that he wasn't given the respect he deserved by the trolls on the x-ray machine. Believe it or not, this individual was wearing a Panama hat, a Coldstream Guards tie, tweed jacket with obligatory leather elbows, golfing shoes and a pair of plus fours. And carrying a putter!

Said individual is a regular visitor to arrse. You know who you are, you Hassi Messaoud residing, walting bag of shi'ite. May you burn in hell and your third wife get the taste for real squaddie c***, like the previous two! Cnut!............

And you were saying?

bovvy said:

ham-shank said:
Reminds me of a former acquaintance who, when he found that moving his whole family to Hereford did not give him the 'special' kudos he craved from his colleagues, went out and bought a title for some bog in Scotland (the title Lord ****** of Leominster wasn't available). He then changed his driving license and passport to reflect his new found status. Last time I saw him, he was complaining loudly to a security type at Gatwick airport that he wasn't given the respect he deserved by the trolls on the x-ray machine. Believe it or not, this individual was wearing a Panama hat, a Coldstream Guards tie, tweed jacket with obligatory leather elbows, golfing shoes and a pair of plus fours. And carrying a putter!

Said individual is a regular visitor to arrse. You know who you are, you Hassi Messaoud residing, walting bag of shi'ite. May you burn in hell and your third wife get the taste for real squaddie c***, like the previous two! Cnut!............

And you were saying?
Amused you? I have just fallen over laughing and now the Mem. has hit the roof because she doesn't like me being too happy :lol:

happybonzo said:
bovvy said:

ham-shank said:

And you were saying?
Amused you? I have just fallen over laughing and now the Mem. has hit the roof because she doesn't like me being too happy :lol:
Classic, isn't it?

many years ago i had an Austin allegro (EVAN HAD THE SQUARE steering wheel) and on a visit to my local scrap yard i found an old rolls Royce radiator grill will the flying goddess after abit of pulling and welding said grill now in situ complete with red and orange flames sprayed on the sides on vists to places like Melton mowbray you should of seen the crusty old farts going red on seeing my pride and joy the car was a legend around were i use to live i even took it to the south of England show by then it had the dukes of hazard two tone horns and when you parked it among the range rovers and scimitars you could just feel the hate being directed at that car great fun :D :D :D :D

Thanks for the link.. Love the fact that you can acquire a ' seated' title which comes complete with land.. Got to be the cheapest real estate deal in all the UK.. $ 1600 US dollars gets you a parcel of ol' Blighty and a fancy moniker..

Don't suppose the land is anywhere near London and environs, but I've always been partial to a chunk of Scottish Isle or something so's I could swan aboot in a kilt and claim kinship to Wallace and Bruce...

does it come with a fancy Coat of Arms? Cost to order one up from the Lord Lyon/ Royal Herald costs more than the bloody hoity toity title in the first place!

buggrit said:
Grand idea. I wonder if I can get to be Lord of Brown Willy here in Cornwall, can just imagine answering the phone at work.

"MPGS, Lord Corporal Buggrit of Brown willy speaking!" :lol:

Outstanding 8)
And don't forget, you'll be able to sign everything "Brown Willy"
:D

No, the two CDs are NOT sat on my desk before anyone asks. And I have looked! :oops:

Latest Threads