Royal Signals

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Suwit, Nov 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is anyone else going into the RS Corps or know if there is a masssive waiting list. I was looking at Electronic Warfare Operator or Communication Systems Engineer. Cheers

2. I've recently got my date for cse, passed in march 2011,start basic march 2012. I got an A on Adsc. No idea for Ew op. Just giving you an idea of how long i've waited.

3. Similar here for CSE. Passed ADSC in April 2011, only recently got my phase 1 date for March 2012. If it's something you want to do, prepare to have a long wait.

I believe EWOp is similar in terms of time scale, but don't hold me to that.

4. Jeez, pretty long waiting times there! In gerneral, is it quite a long waiting time for Royal signals??

5. Generally long waiting times for most jobs in the army i bet, as far as signals goes i don't know when the next intakes are. Like the above said, if you want to do it, it has to be worth the wait as well.

6. You're looking at on average 10-12 months for the whole process to happen for all jobs. There are exceptions of course, but generally it takes a while for any job in the army.

Both of those jobs will have you in Phase 2 training for a good year and a few months, which is considerably longer than other trades.

If you start the process now, and you follow the same time scale I did, you're looking at reaching the field army as a trained soldier in early 2014. Saying that, the EW Op course is being shortened soon as it will no longer encompass the CS Op course, so if you chose that it'd probably be quicker.

If you want to join, go for it mate. I've not been in long, but I've not regretted it at all! S'awesome.

Source: Me, a Royal Signals Phase 2 bloke.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cheers for the input

8. [FONT=Arial, verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm applying for CS Eng too, just got my medical clearance, my interview with my careers officer is next week. I was told at the office that earliest openings are July with not many jobs and could be as late as October, although that isn't a guarantee either as there are not many jobs available then either, so it could potentially be later. How far along are you?

All three of my choices are R Sigs, I'm just going to stick out the wait!

Does anyone know if it is difficult to swap from CS Op to CS Eng after you've completed phase 2?
    [/FONT]​

9. There will be no chance of getting CS ENG for July at the stage your currently on plus once you hopefully pass ADSC and if your allocated as Operator you will sign a JOB OFFER letter stating you cannot change once in unless the Army needs you to change.this is being enforced more now due to the cost of changing trades once in so keep it in mind 98% sure you wont be able to change once in..........so dont risk trying to get in earlier by taking a job with plenty of places as some are finding to their peril at present. (and to the ones going through training or recently passed who are going to reply with my mates DOG just changed trades well they were extremely lucky and this will be a thing of the past especially with the Recruiting/training budget being scrutinised more)

10. What about someone changing from Infantry to Signals(or any other trade) 5, 10 years down the line?

11. Whilst transferring is possible in theory... the way my sergeant explained it to me is as follows.

If you're good at your job, your unit will be hesitant to let you go and is unlikely to support any requests for transfers.

If you're shit at your and your unit is happy to get rid of you, what makes you think the Signals will want you?

It might not sound too helpful but it seems pretty logical to me :thumright:

12. How about going to ADSC and giving it your fcukin all! That way you'll get a lovely high A grade and won't have to wait as long :)

13. After seeing some of the spoons applying, even giving it their all could only result in grade C's - however I second what you're saying :thumright:

14. Thats the plan alright! Training and studying hard at the mo! No quick fixes!

15. As long as you approach it with the correct attitude it's easy enough.