Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal signals trades and phase 2

Dp1679

Crow
Hello all

I’m currently looking to transfer over to the royal signals from the infantry I’m interested in a variety of roles they offer including comms system operator , EW , and comms engineer. Just looking for peoples opinions and experiences on above trades. Also does anyone know the full score with royal signals phase 2? I.e course length , leave periods and if you are allowed to take a car up at all being a phase 2 trainee?

Cheers

Course length is anything up to one year. you can take a car.

All the courses are different so you need to work out which role you want to do, and then ask for specifics. Does it really matter how long the course is?

Dp1679

Crow
Course length is anything up to one year. you can take a car.

All the courses are different so you need to work out which role you want to do, and then ask for specifics. Does it really matter how long the course is?
Thanks for the reply mate and no was just wondering roughly how long the courses were in particularly interested in comms systems operator.

Thanks for the reply mate and no was just wondering roughly how long the courses were in particularly interested in comms systems operator.

It depends we have been told 40 weeks for ours as install techs but its changing soon so basically a year could be +/- depending on like driving licenses etc.

Hi

You are making a good decision and understand the short term impacts. Start planning long term. Decisions you make now need to have a story that ends with the day you become a civvie. Its a shame more infantry do not have this long term view.
I was Signals 71-85 (last Century), although did several years RMR Tyne when I left and moved to a job in Newcastle (my favourite city still). I was lucky that I had exposure to civvvie tech suppliers when working on special projects in NI. It started me thinking about what would happen when I left.
Technician/installation skills are a good starting point on that journey. And you will get paid more!!
Short term dont ignore the Infantry experience you bring, if you will still want to work on the edge, you will find a Signals Squadron with the Commando Brigade, Airborne and SAS.

Best of luck, but take a long term view and start planning now.

Latest Threads