Royal Signals TA take a beating

#1
The Corps has just lost 65% of it's TA on a whim from the centre removing any possibility of operational support to the regular element. See the Reserves Review announced today.

12 Signal Group, 33, 34 and 35 SR's along with probably at least another 3 from 2 Sig Bde look like disbanding before the end of the year.

As a 'volunteer' I am sure many of you will have served with the TA - given of your time and effort to support and enhance the Reserve piece - and will no doubt share some of the disbelief, disappointment and sense of waste being felt across the Reserve community.

Certa bloody Cito.
 
#3
Mr T. I know this has all been covered and I can't face reading the review just yet, but just to confirm; is re-roling on the cards?

Commiserations.
 
#4
No re-rolling, TA R Signals have to loose 2425 PIDs / posts apparently very soon. That's all of 12 Sig Gp (33,34,35 plus HQ elms) and then a further 1200 odd posts from 2 NC Sig Bde; effectively three to four Regts.

Apparently we are no longer required and there are sufficient units/strength remaining (~1500 TA R Signals) to do the job...
 
#5
Had a great time serving with the TA. Really good bunch of blokes and like a good piss up too. But after the way they have just treated my missus, they can go fcuk themselves. Especially the fat cnut of an OC Sqn (hope his job goes first)!
 
#7
Dry_Clean_Only said:
No re-rolling, TA R Signals have to loose 2425 PIDs / posts apparently very soon. That's all of 12 Sig Gp (33,34,35 plus HQ elms) and then a further 1200 odd posts from 2 NC Sig Bde; effectively three to four Regts.

Apparently we are no longer required and there are sufficient units/strength remaining (~1500 TA R Signals) to do the job...
Aren't you making the assumption we're near to being fully manned... Is that the case? I suspect its not. How many 'regiments' would really have to be culled to reach the 1200 pax mark...

So much for being BOWMANised. I'm surprised 2(NC) isn't being culled entirely. My view, also as a member of 71 Sigs Regt (I might not be able to say that a few weeks hence) is that we've been lacking a purposeful role for too long.
 
#8
Assumming Regt strength is usually around 420 for manned unit, TA Regts sit around 350, we (71) are about 340 if I recall correctly, then 1500 does equal about five Regts. For us, wait out, the CoC is on the ball and working hard to ensure we have a future; and I think we do as the London Signal Regt.
 
#9
obviously the gobermint thinks because everyone has a mobile phone now there is no longer a need for a seperate secure network of sorts.

Its a sad day..!
 
#10
What a bloody disgrace.

Never tell them I said this, but some (by no means all) of the TA geezers and gals I worked with at 40 were the most commited individuals I have ever met. Hopefully they'll be safe but you never know.
 
G

GLESGA-NED

Guest
#11
This fucks up the Regular Signals as well. We will now lose at least 3 RSM positions, numerous SPSI jobs oh what fcuking joy. I think I'm going to become a dentist in the RADC with a dodgie qual from the internet. No fcuker will check and I heard dentistry is a little like changing a split rim on a Bedford tyre :roll: .
 
#12
TopBadger said:
So much for being BOWMANised. I'm surprised 2(NC) isn't being culled entirely. My view, also as a member of 71 Sigs Regt (I might not be able to say that a few weeks hence) is that we've been lacking a purposeful role for too long.
Their has been a distinct shift in ethos recently, we are to aim for overseas ops not UK ops - so BOWMAN now a biggie not an after thought. A move in the right direction, which appears to be down to a change in supervisor - we don't have a 'on my way out Bde YofS' anymore. (Won't say anything more about the old one in case the missus reads this)
 
#13
polar said:
Their has been a distinct shift in ethos recently, we are to aim for overseas ops not UK ops - so BOWMAN now a biggie not an after thought
they said that about the TA until Gloucester turned into a giant pond. Then 39 got mobilised and the UK Ops thing took hold again. I'm sure the Gov. will be perfectly happy until somebody does something 'clever' in the capital and it all goes tits up for the blue lights, and the TA's comms side has been half disbanded and half tasked with something else.

It's always the same with our government, unless they can physically see something on their doorstep it's not even a possibility, so they can go ahead and burn all their bridges and it's fine. All fine, that is, until it does happen, at which either a) everything goes wrong, or b) they re-instate it at 100x what it would have cost to just not get rid of it in the first place.

take the amount of land we're using that used to belong to us and now we have to rent it because the government's great money saving idea was to ditch it, as a good example.
 
#16
There is a point that there will be a reductions in RSM and CO slots, and a 1 Star too?

That is going to narrow the pyramid somewhat....
 
#17
the_guru said:
There is a point that there will be a reductions in RSM and CO slots, and a 1 Star too?

That is going to narrow the pyramid somewhat....
And, I suspect, and increase in Op tours...
 
#18
msr said:
the_guru said:
There is a point that there will be a reductions in RSM and CO slots, and a 1 Star too?

That is going to narrow the pyramid somewhat....
And, I suspect, and increase in Op tours...
Good point - are there any stats for Corps TA involvement in Ops. I know the TA as a whole have provided somewhere between 18 and 19 thousand since 2003, but how many for the Royal Sigs. Maybe its alright now we're out of and there will be plenty of people to go around, which i seriously doubt.
 
#19
boney_m said:
Good point - are there any stats for Corps TA involvement in Ops. I know the TA as a whole have provided somewhere between 18 and 19 thousand since 2003, but how many for the Royal Sigs. Maybe its alright now we're out of and there will be plenty of people to go around, which i seriously doubt.
I believe its quite small, all TA infantry Bns have provided 1/2 Coys - we've generally asked the same from a Bde or 12 Sig Grp.

Our training and equipment has been flawed for a long time. I'd estimate TA was about 5-10 years behind the regular element of the corps. I see signs of this changing but its sadly too late: 38 Sigs with Reebok, training altered to provide IR's, proper issue of BOWMAN not just the radio's, regulars who want well trained TA to support them on Ops (i.e. they are stakeholders in the TA not just there to get a tick in the box).

One other problem we have is the soldiers RSigs need for Ops (technical) tend to be in good jobs which makes if difficult to mobilise them. The most readily available TA soldiers tend to be ED's.
 
#20
boney_m said:
msr said:
the_guru said:
There is a point that there will be a reductions in RSM and CO slots, and a 1 Star too?

That is going to narrow the pyramid somewhat....
And, I suspect, and increase in Op tours...
Good point - are there any stats for Corps TA involvement in Ops. I know the TA as a whole have provided somewhere between 18 and 19 thousand since 2003, but how many for the Royal Sigs. Maybe its alright now we're out of and there will be plenty of people to go around, which i seriously doubt.
Depends which way you look at it, taking to account the several tours of 97 Sig Sqn which provided pretty much a complete TA Sqn for the Balkans in support of Op Occulus (though it had elements of Canadians and Dutch), that was at least seventy troops per tour. I can't remember how many tours there were, but three at least. Then the troop deployment to Kosovo post Occulus, which despite small (circ 15), were numerous. So that's two TA R Signals lead support to Ops. Additionally LIAG and LICVG have both provided guys in support of ops, past and current in a regular basis, ditto 81 Sig Sqn (and that's a role which the regs can't provide themselves by the very nature of civilian/military cross over). 63 Sig Sqn are active in their SF support role, again 1 and 2 Sig Sqns provide inherent strategic capability constantly, and in 1's case whilst augmented by Regs provide supt to OGDs.

This isn't even touching on 32 and 40SRs support for Op Tosca nor the numerous TA which have mobilised as individual reinforcements for Occulus, Telic and Herrick. I know from serving in two Sqns, that a good 20% of each have been deployed on a range of ops, some several times.

Looking at support to non-operational theatres, TA R Signals also have provided IR's to the Falklands, BATUS and other FTRS posts, so all in all, for pretty busy for a Corp.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top