Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal signals Stable belts

Heya all, just wondering if there’s any signallers out there that can fill me in on when stable belts are permitted?
Several rumours, but is it upon completion of phase 2? Or is it upon arriving/ entering phase 2?

At what stage can a signaller wear his or hers stable belt?!

many thanks lads and ladesses!

CO's discretion. No two squadrons are the same. Belts on/off, barrack dress only, under/over pully, only on Wednesdays etc.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
When you get to your unit, the badge will let you know.

TamH70

MIA
Heya all, just wondering if there’s any signallers out there that can fill me in on when stable belts are permitted?
Several rumours, but is it upon completion of phase 2? Or is it upon arriving/ entering phase 2?

I never wore one as a T.A. soldier or Regular, but did so as a Cadet, and only after I'd been in for a while - and chatting to other guys who did wear theirs and get paid for it, it was the same for them. Don't just rock up in the morning for a parade wearing one - ask your chain of command first. Not looking like a divvy is for winners.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Never went to a unit that wore stable belts over woolly-pully, but I believe the dashing chaps in the airborne and Signals THEN do wear them in that manner. All other units word them on trousers lightweight, in shirt sleeve order, or for the REMFS, trousers, plastic, barrack, gopping again in shirt sleeve order. These were also the knobheads who wore caps, chip-bag, kunt for the use of.

Not looking like a divvy is for winners.

Looking smart, efficient and soldierly, however, is. It shows espirit de corpse and marks you out as an enthusiastic trier. Ignore the idiots and let your pride shine through. Top it off with a pair of shiny shoulder titles on your JHW and maybe a G10 off ebay. The world is your clam. Be a man amongst men!

In my day it was permitted/required upon passing phase 2. Until that point, the trainee was not a qualified R SIGNALS tradesman, and so wore the fkn hideous green plastic piece of shit that has thankfully been consigned to the skip of history. Any transferees from other Regiments/Corps wore their own cap badge/ accoutrements to the same point. Jimmy and stable belt awarded upon successful completion of Phase 2. I say “awarded”, you still had to buy the stable belt.

They were worn on CS95 trousers, so I would guess MTP too. In the days of lightweights/woolly pully, some units did indeed wear them over the JHW. But never around a DPM/MTP outer jacket, that was web belt or green plastic turd only. Wearing belts over JHWs never sat right with me, but I wasn’t making the rules.

I doubt there’s been too much policy shift between then and now on when you gain entitlement to wear the corps colours. Made sense to me, if you have a R SIGNALS trade, then you’re a Scaley. If not, not.

Don't forget the buckle of the day. Skipper hates it when he's wearing side buckles and everyone else is wearing round...
apart from Sig Felize who just has to be (*******) different in his trops and square buckle. The chicks dig trops!

1.jpg

Last edited:
Don’t forget to wear it on the ranges, on exercise and on tour. So you too can look like a cxxt!

Line swine: the de facto 'go to' guys if you needed anything done.

:cool:

TamH70

MIA
Line swine: the de facto 'go to' guys if you needed anything done.

:cool:
Like getting yourself pissed-drunk in a pub in Richmond in the space of half an hour after falling in with a pack of the drunken bastiches.

some units did indeed wear them over the JHW.
Us... JHW and SSO only although I spent most of my working days sans belt in Coverall Bri Nylon.

If we had the earlier cotton coveralls we had to hand them in and I seem to recall they were re-issued to the LAD chap who did welding and stuff - seems the soppy buggers didn’t like the bri nylon melting on to their skin.

A couple of years ago it was on completion of Ph 2. To be fair it is used as a marker of time served so could be moved to whenever they want that marker displayed. There's always a battle on wether or not it should be issued. I don't think the last master was up for paying for it. Why do you want to know?

Latest Threads