Royal Signals soldiers

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar69, May 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick question

If you were out on exercise and you had a RSigs soldier attached, would you expect them to be able to operate a radio successfully even if they were not a cs op ?

2. Yes, definitely. Probably through my ignorance, I'd expect any R Sigs cap badge to have decent radio knowledge.

3. Not a fcuking chance.

Unless the TA R.Signals are very different of course?

4. Short answer - No.

5. Cow

Cow LE

Looking at your question, why would a R Signals soldier be attached to another unit if not to 'do comms'/radios? Is this a specific question or a general one? I have to agree though, when someone saw the capbadge/belt/bullshlt they normally assumed we could work everything.

6. Er... Depends. I'd expect a Tech to know, but not an ED traded signaller to know.

Whats your definition of 'successfully'?

7. Sorry I meant "proficiently"

But was having problems spelling it.

Cow I see you point, imagine you had one person from each regiment in ome place and you needed a rad op, all you knew about them was what you could see. IE the cap badge.

8. It's the same as expecting an infanteer to be able to operate every weapon system the the Army uses, or expecting a brickie in the Engineers to be able to successfully difuse an IED because they have the same capbadge as the EOD mob.

9. Not quite. I'd expect an infanteer to be able to operate the basic tools of his trade: SA80, LMG, GPMG. Simliarly, and again this may come from my ignorance of the signals, I would expect a signaller to be able to operate a radio.

To say that is the same as thinking a Sapper can handle an IED is just daft.

10. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

I'd expect them to be able to make a good cup of tea

11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

In my experience it was best not to expect too much from any tech below FofS.......

12. I think that you are missing my point, just because someone is a signals capbadge does not mean that they have anything to do with radios. There are many trades in the Signals that have nothing to do with radios and therefore if you have an ED, for example, who deals with generators, they will most likely not have a clue about how to even switch the bloody thing on let alone operate it.

13. Cow

Cow LE

Your point is valid and is the view of the person behind the capbadge. However reality is that someone seeing a capbadge assumes that they have knowledge/experience of the prime task of the unit. I'd expect an infanteer to be able to advise a signaller on tactics but if they were a sprog that may not be possible.

I've been in the situation where a WO has asked me to advice on some kit which I haven't a clue about. Not my fault but pissed him off no end. Hopefully the persons ability to be able to find out the information/work the kit/point in right direction would be enough to satisfy the situation.

14. Another thriller of a thread!

15. I remember the first pay rise after leaving basic was after completing BSS, basic signalling skills, this included starting a genny, stopping a genny, filling a genny with correct fuel, fuctify can remember anything else actually, no driving content on BSS, every member of the corps had to complete BSS.

So no, also even if you were a radio trade you would often be given civvy radio ham stuff to play with.