royal signals postings some advice

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by smoojalooge, Sep 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm coming up to the point on my tech class 1 where i must put my preference posting in, and i'n trying to work out where i want to be posted. i.e most interesting job to least bullsh*t ratio. Looking mostly outside the mainland UK.

And recent advice, no well i had a great time in 1992 posts please
  2. no idea , try civ div ..night .......................
  3. 251 Signal Sqn is Ace
  4. Yeah I agree. Stick it down as your no one choice. It's great
  5. I hear 21 sigs is dead good.
  6. Failing that you could always opt for 3 Div
  7. It all depends on the type of work you wish to do!

First try to answer some/all of the following questions:-

Do you want Field unit or static? - Regt/Div or indep Sqn/DCSA

What units have you been to previously served at? - Do you want to broaden your horizons or some more of the same

Are you looking at trying to get an Op deployment? - Again probably Regt/Div - 16 & 7 are looking at Afghan!

Try to think of the job/opertunaties then look where they are!

8. Great advice smokey you should work at records!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Try and get 2 or 30, spend a bit of time on Cormorant and get squared away for digitization. Then you can try and sidestep into Falcon when the new 22 Sigs gets formed. At least it sounds pretty interesting.
  10. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Agree with cardinal there 2 or 30, to work Cormorant, LWRN, SLE good kit - cutting edge in the corps and the opportunity for deployments on Ops and exercise all over the world. Plus the opportunity for phys and sports to all levels.
  11. I think you've got the right idea smooj. I never joined the army to stay in UK.

So let's look at the evidence - young tech, just finished his class 1 course - easy, Cyprus - all units there allow technicians do their jobs, I would recommend Ay Nik for 'high techedness' and there's always interesting new projects on the comms front. The fact that there are a lot of extra curricular activities on the island is a bonus.

Failing that NI was always pretty good for techs - haven't been there for a while so I don't know if the interesting jobs have been cutback in light of developments there.

Just remember that you'll probably want to go FofS in a few years so the Corps likes you to have a good cross section of skills so don't outstay your welcome in 'irregular' Corps jobs (if you understand what I mean).

Good Luck
  12. CS has got it spot on. Class 1 techs in both those Regts are like rocking horse s**t. You will practice your trade, be put in positions of responsibility and independence and don't get me started on the travel.

Go to one of these and you'll love it.

Looks great on your profile too.
  13. 225 in NI is closing down which is a big shame. Romeo Troop has just opened up with some new interesting ventures shall we say, may be worth a look. Aside from NI the main Regts within the Corp are your best bet as previously said they are the fore runners on the new equipments and hence the new technologies.

Best of luck.
  14. From a selfish point of view, it's a shame about 225 closing down (but entirely expected and also necessary in light of the political situation). I spent 4 years there recently and the techs were busy but in a good way. A lot of them were always shimfing but again it was part of the job - most of them will look back and admit it opened up some interesting jobs, as well as being in a reasonably grown up environment and having a really good bar (the most important bit of any insular unit!).

15. Don't bother going to 30 if you want to do sport, unless it's football. or the outstanding ladies rounders team.