Royal Signals Military Cross

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by RP578, Apr 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Wonder if anyone here could help out. Is there a list of Military Crosses awarded to R.Signals personnel over the last ten years or so? Firm believer in accept folk at face value, but this one just seems odd.

Thanks in advance guys!

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

To what are you refereing?

3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

A friend of a friend who put "M.C." (sic) after his name. Though in all fairness it could stand for Master of Ceremonies I suppose. Essentially, it's just me being a nosey bugger and not having the means to ask him personally.

4. Have you tried the corps website? :?

5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

All gallantry awards are published in the London Gazette. They have a search facility on their website. Not sure how far back it goes so you might have to go through hard copies in your local library.

6. I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure there have been no R SIGNALS MCs in the last ten years. I think the last one was Sgt Mather in the Falklands War (and even then that was an MM not a MC)

AY

7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Thanks AY. I can't find any evidence of a MC award to a Signals personnel in the last 20 years either. There was a MM awarded to a Signals soldier during the Falklands, Cpl T Brookes, but I think he might actually have been SAS at the time.

Thanks for all the links anyway guys.

8. Gonna tell us who it is so we can stick him in the walt forum?

9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

No, because I don't know if the lad, who is a serving Signalman, was actually trying to make out that he had won a MC or something else as it's unlikely I'll ever get to ask him personally. After all, he'd typed it "M.C." with full stops, so it could stand for something entirely different and I wouldn't want to have started a witch hunt on some innocent 'Microphone Chanter' or whatever.

Was really only curious if this bloke had won the award and I guess the answer is 'no'.

10. The Museum Curator can tell you exactly how many and when

11. There is / was a serving Major who had a bar to his MC I think. Not too sure if he has retired, but he was at 2 SIGREGT when on TELIC 1.

??

12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Just to put this to bed; the young Signalman in question did not win the Military Cross and I have no idea why he's got "M.C." after his name (it's on his facebook title), I'm guessing he fancies himself as a Master of Ceremonies or something like. Further to, I can't find any evidence of an MC being awarded to a Royal Signals soldier since 1993 when it became an all ranks award.

13. Name and shame him then.