Royal Regiment of Scotland Dress Regs

Chippy as hell, will have to physically pin me down to get me to wear any of the new bits and bobs. All that crap about mess dress not being compulsory, a good barometer of how chippy things have become. I hope that battalions will use lission command to the maximum.

I couldn't find this posted.
Wonder how true it is?

ARMY ROADTEST NEW KILT .. MADE IN INDIA

SUNDAY MAIL - JULY 16th 2006

EXCLUSIVE FURY OVER £1m MoD COST-CUTTING PLAN

By Charles Lavery

SCOTTISH soldiers' latest Army issue kilts have been made in INDIA.

The kilts could become standard kit for the new amalgamated Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Defence chiefs are trialling the new uniforms before deciding whether to place a £1million order.

The Army say no decision has yet been made but the move has sparked outrage among top brass and politicians.

And the Scots firm who have supplied material for our boys' kilts for decades say they are in the dark.

The new lightweight kilts are made of worsted cloth, which is cheaper than traditional wool.

The Royal Regiment was controversially formed in 2004 with the merging of Scotland's existing regiments.

The MoD needs more than 3000 kilts in the new regiment's tartan but defence chiefs insist the contract must go to international tendering.

The MoD deny they are trying to cut costs by going for a cheaper option to the traditional eight yards of wool.

An Army spokesman said: "They got some trial kilts that various soldiers are testing and using for ceremonial duties.

"It's a slightly lighter material, more comfortable to wear and gives better definition of the pattern.

"It's also slightly cheaper but that's not the reason it's being tested. When they have done the trials and are happy with what the soldiers need they will put out an issue to tender notice.

"Anyone interested in winning the contract can then apply. It will be an international contract invite. "As regards |the foreign 'aspect of the contract, I can tell you that all of the kilts made before were made by a Yorkshire-based firm who got the material from a company in Peebles.

"The contract is worth £1million and is not necessarily going abroad but it has to be an open competition."

The MoD would not say who was supplying the new kilts but refused to deny it was a firm in India.

Roland Brett, of Robert Noble Ltd in Peebles, who have supplied the plaid for the Army's kilts in Scotland for decades, said: "To be perfectly frank we are in the dark about this. The only thing I know is that the tender has not yet been put on the monthly MoD news sheet.

"I had been told that they were intent on sourcing the whole thing in Scotland but we have had nothing concrete about that."

The amalgamation of the Scottish regiments united the Black Watch, the King's Own Scottish Borderers, the Royal Scots, the Royal Highland Fusiliers and the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

Retired Black Watch Colonel Stephen Lindsay, of Crieff, Perthshire, said: "This proves the amalgamation of the regiments was a cost-cutting measure.

"They are even cutting costs on the kilt, a piece of clothing that over the centuries has played a vital role and sometimes even won our men battles. It's very sad."

SNP Defence spokesman Angus Robertson, MP, said: "They could have stipulated in the contract that the kilts be produced by traditional and quality methods.

"It adds insult to the injury of destroying Scotland's independent regimental system.

"They think they can do what they like in Scotland and believe people will just meekly accept it regardless of the costs to tradition or Scottish jobs."

'New kilts are more comfortable.. and slightly cheaper'

Army spokesman
Maybe the very most recent pre-amalgamation contract kilts were made in Yorkshire, but I know all previous ones were made by firms in Scotland, such as Thomas Gordon, Hector Russell, Argyll kilts, etc.

RCSignals said:
I couldn't find this posted.
Wonder how true it is?

ARMY ROADTEST NEW KILT .. MADE IN INDIA

SUNDAY MAIL - JULY 16th 2006

EXCLUSIVE FURY OVER £1m MoD COST-CUTTING PLAN

By Charles Lavery

SCOTTISH soldiers' latest Army issue kilts have been made in INDIA.

The kilts could become standard kit for the new amalgamated Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Defence chiefs are trialling the new uniforms before deciding whether to place a £1million order.

The Army say no decision has yet been made but the move has sparked outrage among top brass and politicians.

And the Scots firm who have supplied material for our boys' kilts for decades say they are in the dark.

The new lightweight kilts are made of worsted cloth, which is cheaper than traditional wool.
......... ............

Maybe the very most recent pre-amalgamation contract kilts were made in Yorkshire, but I know all previous ones were made by firms in Scotland, such as Thomas Gordon, Hector Russell, Argyll kilts, etc.
:roll:

Just think - there is always room for it to get worse...

brought to you by these people making, 'modern' kilts for everyday use..

http://utilikilts.com

(their website seems to be down at the moment).

Latest Threads