• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Royal Regiment of Scotland (and England, and Germany...)

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/54453.html

The Royal Regiment of Scotland (RRS) was always going to be a hard sell, especially for those who value the geographical ties and traditions attaching to the six historic Scottish regiments that were to be subsumed into it. The plan was sold on the basis that it would be a win-win situation. The amalgamation would help provide Britain with a modern, flexible fighting force, fit to meet the challenges of the 21st century while simultaneously providing more stability and continuity for soldiers' families. The old policy of "arms plotting", which involved entire battalions upping sticks (and families) and moving to a new location every few years was to be abandoned in favour of permanent bases where soldiers and their dependants could put down roots. The new arrangement would provide "family stability", according to the RRS's official policy document. There was even a suggestion that the restructuring could result in Scottish soldiers spending more time in Scotland.
It now appears that the "family-friendly" aspect of the policy has been substantially oversold. Already a number of bases have been identified as being unsuitable for permanent postings, because of the likely adverse effect on morale. These include Omagh in Northern Ireland and Dekhelia in Cyprus. Battalions will continue to rotate through these locations, in addition to six-month deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. Furthermore, soldiers attempting to move up the promotional ladder will continue to be the subject of what are known as "trickle-postings", moving regularly to gain different types of experience.
Now it has emerged that only two of the Scots battalions will be based in Scotland. The Highlanders will be consigned to Fallingbostel in northern Germany and the Argylls are destined for Canterbury. The Black Watch could end up at Fort George near Inverness, but is initially being deployed to Northern Ireland for two years. These arrangements are far from ideal, especially for a soldier with a family. "Fallie" is an unpopular posting for "pads" – married personnel – partly because wives who do not speak German have difficulty accessing employment. In Kent, property prices make it unlikely that a private soldier could afford to buy even the most basic family accommodation.
The danger is that the restructuring could become a lose-lose situation with regular upheavals continuing to be a feature of the lives of many soldiers with the inevitable knock-on effect on recruitment and retention, which are already serious concerns. There has been a series of scandals concerning misguided Ministry of Defence spending on procurement. Modest expenditure on modern barracks and training facilities in Scotland would be a solid investment.

Anyone suprised?

But hang on a second - how many of the King's Division (5 new bns) will be based in Lancashire / Yorkshire? I'll give you a clue - it's a number between 1 and 3.

The Scottish have dripped on and on and are in danger of boring everyone to death. Get a grip and get on with it.

Wind your neck in storeman,
The scottish regiments are very proud of their traditions a lot more so than any other units in the british army.
They are well within their rights to fight this decision tooth and nail, I wouldnt wish a permanant posting to fally on anyone.
they are destroying scotlands army, just one infantry regiment, i also feel for the kings division but there is many more english regiments remaining. It is a further kick in the teeth for the jocks that have provided some of britains finest soldiers throughout the ages.
It shows their determination that they are fighting these changes, if it was left to you we would just keep quiet, bend over and take it right up the hoop.

Mr vandyke, you should.

There comes a time when you realise you're banging your head against a brick wall, p1ssing against the wind - or whatever. Whining about something which you won't change is frankly a waste of everyone's time. They are not going to change the AP by 'protesting' or 'gathering the clans', 'thrashing the haggis', hopping around in skirts or however else you dodgy colonials vent your spleen.

Actually you could; but before you do that send back all the other adopted colonials who now keep 'the Scottish' battalions' name alive (as if they giving a flying thingy about your quaint history and traditions) - and see how many you're left with.

See you in Fally!

my days in fally are long gone, 7 years there with the prospect of another 12 were too much for me. I know for a fact that this decision will be detrimental to recruiting.
you are right it is like banging your head against a brick wall and no amount of protesting will change their minds, however that doesnt mean that we should take this lying down.
The scottish regiments are rightly proud of their past, they do not join the army, they join a regiment, a familly to just wipe all that out is a sin. They tell us that each battalion will remain but we all no that this is the thin edge of the wedge and sooner or later the battalions will all merge into one.
The poor old Queen Mum will be spinning in her grave if she knew what was happening to her beloved "forty twa"

B

Biscuits_AB

Storeman Norman said:
Mr vandyke, you should.

There comes a time when you realise you're banging your head against a brick wall, p1ssing against the wind - or whatever. Whining about something which you won't change is frankly a waste of everyone's time. They are not going to change the AP by 'protesting' or 'gathering the clans', 'thrashing the haggis', hopping around in skirts or however else you dodgy colonials vent your spleen.

Actually you could; but before you do that send back all the other adopted colonials who now keep 'the Scottish' battalions' name alive (as if they giving a flying thingy about your quaint history and traditions) - and see how many you're left with.

See you in Fally!
If you weren't such a d*ckhead with your racist overtones, a few more of the 'Jocks' may accept what it is that you are trying to say, but in your effort to sound funny, you sort of lose the meaning of your arguement.

Scotland has always had a very high percentage whithin the british army. Our loyalty has never been doubted but we get nothing in return.

bobos said:
20% of the British army are Scots.
Although you don't post where this is attributable, I am delighted. This is the BRITISH Army and if the Scottish have provided 1 in 5 of us, then more power to their elbow. My point here concerns the issue of good men and true wasting their time trying to change something which frankly cannot be changed and does not deserve to be changed. 2 battalions serving on a 'home' posting is not a bad hit rate when compared to the rest of us. We are of one army and one corps and having been presented with a reasonable solution to an admittedly pretty unreasonable situation, then we should turn to the right and get on with it.

The recent history of the British Army shows that we have been quite good at facing down some fairly unpleasant situations which we would rather not have faced and I, for one, don't want to change that.

Thanks biscuit, it shouldn't just be the scots that are up in arms about this, all regiments should do their best to maintain and protect their history.
But i would expect this sort of attitude from a storeman, his only sense of pride and history is when a swamped mattress is returned to him and he detects another "map of Africa" to circle with his marker pen.
Battle honours and traditions will mean very little to him

Biscuits_AB said:
If you weren't such a d*ckhead with your racist overtones, a few more of the 'Jocks' may accept what it is that you are trying to say, but in your effort to sound funny, you sort of lose the meaning of your arguement.
This is / was called banter. 'Racism' between the constituent parts of Great Britain was completely unheard of until the precious advocates of the politically correct decided to extend their meaningless middle class values further afield. I am saddened that such PC cr*p has extended this far, but I have also seen far worse examples of 'racist overtones' elsewhere on these boards. Perhaps you had better continue your witch hunt elsewhere.

And if there are any Scottish posters here who genuinely feel racially abused - then I abjectly apologise.

Do not worry on the racism front i for one am not offended and long for the day i can return to calling you lot a bunch of "morris dancing, shandy drinking poofters" but that is not the issue. Even you must feel it is a disgrace to destroy centuries of tradition at the stroke of a pen

B

Biscuits_AB

Storeman Norman said:
Biscuits_AB said:
This is / was called banter. 'Racism' between the constituent parts of Great Britain was completely unheard of until the precious advocates of the politically correct decided to extend their meaningless middle class values further afield. I am saddened that such PC cr*p has extended this far, but I have also seen far worse examples of 'racist overtones' elsewhere on these boards. Perhaps you had better continue your witch hunt elsewhere.

And if there are any Scottish posters here who genuinely feel racially abused - then I abjectly apologise.
I am in no way an adovocate of Political Correctness. I was merely looking for a way in which to politely call you a c*nt.

And you can stick your apology up your arrse, you bell end.

In reply to the percentage of courageous, forthright, outstanding, honest, trustworthy scots who make up this corncucopia of the British militia, there was an article in the Soldier about 4 or 5 years ago, about the make-up of the army, before we recruited further afield. From memory which has sadly been damaged by the old Herforder Pils, the scots led the way, followed by the Gurkhas, English, Irish & Welsh. Of course the gurkhas have been downsized now.

The latest breakdown of ethnic minorities of course includes fijian, samoan, zimbabwian (more than I expected), south african etc. How cosmopolitan we are now, and we will soon have a scottish PM as well !!

Biscuits_AB said:
Storeman Norman said:
Biscuits_AB said:

I am in no way an adovocate of Political Correctness. I was merely looking for a way in which to politely call you a c*nt.

Oh Dear.

B

benjaminw1

Biscuits_AB said:
Storeman Norman said:
Biscuits_AB said:

Whinging Scotch Tw@t :wink:

vandyke said:
Scotland has always had a very high percentage whithin the british army. Our loyalty has never been doubted but we get nothing in return.
Mate I'm not Scots but I have vocally supported your campaign and my own Regts campaign in Wales. At least you bloke get to keep a couple of Bn in Scotland. There will be no reg Welsh Bns in Wales. And don't bleat about getting nothing back from the British Army, it's embarrassing and well wide of the mark. What do you want back? we are all taking the cuts not just the Scots.

Now now chaps.....we've been through all this before...

20% of the Army are Scots but 10% are Fijians and other miscellaneous Commonwealth etc....there are 47 Fijians in 1 HLDRS, with similar figures often higher in ALL the other regiments of the Division. Indeed I hear that 1 PWRR have over 100 Fijians, so we DO have a massive recruiting problem in all regiments.

One example given of a home base is that of Fort George by Inverness - I've found that most actually like it up there as the area is nice, the city is growing rapidly and local facilities and shopping are now great with lots of jobs for the wives. However the theory that you are left alone up there by the Arms Plot boys no longer applies as the R IRISH are just back from Iraq and possibly heading almost straight out to another location! At least the majority of the Black Watch can head straight down the A9 to home at the weekends and be there a darned sight quicker than at present. It might actually help retention but not recruiting.

Have you seen the new cap badges for the Duke of Lancs and the RRS? Size of dinner plates!