Royal or Other Regiments in the Commonwealth

The British military is being criticised for its slow response to the hurricane in the British Overseas Territories, many of whom have defence forces & regiments detailed previously in this thread.

Is it time to develop and train these defence forces and bring them onto the strength of the British Army? The Royal Gibraltar Regiment are the territorial force of a British Overseas Territory and a full part of the British Army - and the Royal Bermuda Regiment seem to be going that way, moving to SA80s and having recently had a seconded British Army CO.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
The British military is being criticised for its slow response to the hurricane in the British Overseas Territories, many of whom have defence forces & regiments detailed previously in this thread.

Is it time to develop and train these defence forces and bring them onto the strength of the British Army? The Royal Gibraltar Regiment are the territorial force of a British Overseas Territory and a full part of the British Army - and the Royal Bermuda Regiment seem to be going that way, moving to SA80s and having recently had a seconded British Army CO.
Um. In order:

• The British military's being criticised. Who by?
  • How so, mainly these are independent Commonwealth nations.
  • The Royal Bermuda Regiment has a long-standing affiliation with the Queen's Division - read back on this thread.

Looks like a Cayman Regiment is being created & trained by the British Army at some point soon:

Cayman to create military regiment - Cayman Islands Headline News

I noticed elsewhere that the Royal Montserrat Defence Force has been issued with MTP uniforms by the Irish Guards, and that Mark Lancaster has instructed that they train them better too:

Does this herald a new era of bringing the military forces of the various British Overseas Territories more into line with the British Army, potentially in the same way as the Royal Gibraltar Regiment are included as an integral part?

ugly

LE
Looks like a Cayman Regiment is being created & trained by the British Army at some point soon:

I noticed elsewhere that the Royal Montserrat Defence Force has been issued with MTP uniforms by the Irish Guards, and that Mark Lancaster has instructed that they train them better too:

Does this herald a new era of bringing the military forces of the various British Overseas Territories more into line with the British Army, potentially in the same way as the Royal Gibraltar Regiment are included as an integral part?
If its Guards led its probably sponsored by Kiwi polish!

Have they taken tips from the Maddie McCann Met.
This looks like a Christmas draw prize

I understand that the Cayman Islanders want their regiment to be closely aligned to the Royal Engineers, presumably for storm related MACC taskings and the like.

I know we shouldn't poke fun at our next monarch, but doesn't he just look like the Sergeant Wilson of the Royal family. The local chap is clearly taking it all seriously while PoW is mildly slouched and has, what can only be described as, 'a bit of a silly grin' on his face.

He looks well chuffed to be exchanging his comfy, lightweight, breathable jungle boots for heavy, gore-tex lined Haix. Poor bastard.

Latest Threads