Royal Navy unveils carrier training facility

Shouldn't they use the term 'crew' instead of 'man'.

Just being fluffy, ya.

Don't tell the RAF (it might spoil their golf)

The RAF would never plot (but some of their senior officers might)... Innocent look...

Does the Iron Duck think the massive cuts in the RN's surface fleet were a price worth paying to get a whole 6 planes to sea on HMS fitted for but not with a proper Carrier Air Group?

M

Mr_Tigger

The first buy will be 48 F35B. I believe these will be split in squadron terms between the RAF and FAA with the RAF getting the lion's share. Since there shall have to be a OCU and for a time some a/c going to a OEU the RAF will probably 'own' all the aircraft with one NAS operating 12 RAF owned jets.

SofS has made a distinction between this buy of 48 Bs and a possible future buy to replace the GR4. It is quite possible the majority of UK F35s might be the A model as the B can in no way be construed as a direct GR4 replacement.

M

Mr_Tigger

That is true but also not quite what I said. RAF crews will be carrier qualifying too and the official policy is that a joint air wing of 12 RAF/FAA F35B shall be 'routinely embarked'. No real change from JFH.

The first buy will be 48 F35B. I believe these will be split in squadron terms between the RAF and FAA with the RAF getting the lion's share. Since there shall have to be a OCU and for a time some a/c going to a OEU the RAF will probably 'own' all the aircraft with one NAS operating 12 RAF owned jets.

SofS has made a distinction between this buy of 48 Bs and a possible future buy to replace the GR4. It is quite possible the majority of UK F35s might be the A model as the B can in no way be construed as a direct GR4 replacement.
Have they decided F35 force structure yet? I'd not be surprised to a see a totally joint force with it being badged 50/50, dunno mind, just wondering out loud. Are we going to have a dedicated OEU or is it all going to be done at Eglin? GR4 replacement will chop and change and we still haven't commited to the Taranis/Neuron beast yet have we? Can QE class launch UAS's without cats?

That is true but also not quite what I said. RAF crews will be carrier qualifying too and the official policy is that a joint air wing of 12 RAF/FAA F35B shall be 'routinely embarked'. No real change from JFH.
No real change from JFH.

What, you mean the RAF will provide 75% of the aircrew, all of the real estate and other supporting functions (stand fast 3 "AET"s and a parrot - ah haaarr) and will then have to watch & cringe as the Navy News pumps out bilge about how Lt Crispin Captain's-Bum-Boy flew one sortie over Afghanistan in a "Navy Fighter".

Kiss Me Hardy, Days of Nelson, "We're-Still-Relevant-Honest-Sir" and all that s**te..........

Oh for ffs what a complete and utter disaster