Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal navy to Army

Hi all currently in the process of joining the navy (interview, medical ) all done but I failed my Psychometric test. I'm gonna be honest I'm not very smart with that sort of stuff and stuggle alot at school too. My plan was to be a aet for 4 years and build up my fitness to then join royal marines but now I'm thinking of join the army as an infantry soldier. Can I change this far threw the process and should I speak to my advisor. Any advice will help many thanks Taylor.

Hi all currently in the process of joining the navy (interview, medical ) all done but I failed my Psychometric test. I'm gonna be honest I'm not very smart with that sort of stuff and stuggle alot at school too. My plan was to be a aet for 4 years and build up my fitness to then join royal marines but now I'm thinking of join the army as an infantry soldier. Can I change this far threw the process and should I speak to my advisor. Any advice will help many thanks Taylor.
I have no idea what the recruitment process entails nowadays but: Have you been told you can resit the psychmetric test? If so then you should do so. Just giving up on a whim and plucking 'infantry' out of thin air as a nearest alternative to your aspirations shows lack of commitment IMO.

You state you do not do well at school and 'not very smart'...what on earth prompted you to apply as an AET in the first place then? The fact you have got past the interview stage would demonstrate they have spotted some potential in you though. Stick at it until told there is no further option for you.

Ok thank you for your advice

Giving up at the first hurdle will get you nowhere and not lead to success in whichever branch of the armed forces you join.

Have a look and find some free online psychometric tests and mechanical comprehension tests to practise on. Then practise, practise, practise. It will be worth the effort and you will get better at them. Numerical and verbal reasoning and situational judgement tests may also be useful to practise with. Don't forget that you should also be able to pick up some of those types of books at discount or second hand book shops so they shouldn't be too expensive.

I don't understand why you would want to join as an AET knowing beforehand that want to leave to join the Royal Marines. If you want to become a RM then do that from the outset because you may well find it's not so simple to transfer across. If you don't think you will be fit enough to join the Marines you won't be fit enough to join the infantry. If you are still at school and want to join the RM but aren't fit enough then it might be worth delaying for a year or two whilst you build up your required fitness levels. The Royal Marines will not be disappearing anytime soon and will be there when you are ready.

Either way, you should definitely discuss it with your advisor because it seems that you are not quite sure what it is you really want to do so you need to get that sorted out in your own mind before you go any further to save yourself from making a mistake in career choice that you might not be able to change.

As Jimmy said - regardless of what the recruiters tell you - it's not as simple as...after 4 years saying I'd like to join the Marines now' and being transferred straight away. You wont believe how many people join up / join certain branches that are undermanned on the promise of "you can transfer to fighter pilot / space shuttle rear door gunner...after a few years no problem".

As Jimmy said - regardless of what the recruiters tell you - it's not as simple as...after 4 years saying I'd like to join the Marines now' and being transferred straight away. You wont believe how many people join up / join certain branches that are undermanned on the promise of "you can transfer to fighter pilot / space shuttle rear door gunner...after a few years no problem".
I ended up at Plymouth because the Tech there had been accepted for pilot training by the AAC and the REME would not let him transfer (short of technicians). The only way he could get into the Air Corps was to PVR then re-enlist.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Speak to your recruiter. They can help you look at other options. If you are more of a hands on type person there are other trades.

Air Handler for example. The entrance test is name the moving parts of a chock.

Latest Threads