Royal Navy, take note...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Recce19, Feb 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is how you are meant to act:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8500611.stm

2. :roll: fcuk off

3. Bit of a different situation to the Chandlers:

"Warships typically do not intervene in hijackings because of the danger that crews may be hit by crossfire, the spokesman pointed out.

But forces were able to intervene in this case because the ship had registered with naval authorities, was travelling along a recommended transit corridor and was part of a group transit, ensuring the ships had a helicopter within 30 minutes' reaction time."

4. How is this story related in any way to the RN and the old couple that got kidnapped (the point of your badly thought out post, I assume?)

5. msr

msr LE

Presumably by contrasting the way the Danes got stuck in and we (allegedly) sat back and watched.

msr

6. That's pretty much it. However, it wasn't me who brought the old couple into it. I was more thinking of the general piracy, rather than individual cases.

I know the RN are tied by their R.O.E. and maybe this could highlight a better way of dealing with the problem.

7. The report posted says that SF secured the ship - I may be wrong but I don't think the RFA are famous for their SF training.

It also says that the ship was in a registered convoy and so a warship with helicopter was close by - not the situation with that couple.

Personally if it was me being kidnapped by pirates the last thing I'd want is some untrained, trigger happy sailor brassing the boat they were taking me away in with a Minigun. I definitely wouldn't want untrained sailors, whether RN or RFA, attempting to board my ship and rescue me since it's not all that likely to end well.

8. Not surprising that it was the Danes. It is my understanding that their naval head, Rear Admiral Wang has expressed concerns about the piracy issues.

9. Royal Navy take note of what? From the BBC website:

Nato troops free ship off Somalia after pirate attack

Not quite the daring exploit it first appeared but well done to them, anyway. Every bit helps.

10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Then again if I said to the wife lets chuck it all in and buy a boat and go sailing
    Sailing round the coast of Somallia probably wouldn't even be in the top 200 destinations

Silly old tw4ts deserve everything they get

11. msr

msr LE

To be fair, it was hardly round the coast of Somalia: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00635/Untitled-1_635317a.jpg

12. Unfair. The Chandlers made every effort to avoid going within 1,000 nm of Puntland, the most dangerous bit of the Somali Coast (Daily Mail link):

[align=center][​IMG][/align]

The Seychelles, where the couple was hijacked, are the same distance from the Somali coast as Majorca is from Dover (700 nm). Even Iceland is only 450 nm from mainland UK. Incidentally, between Somalia and Tanzania where the couple was bound, there's a 'little' country called Kenya although it's hidden by a label. When kidnapped, they were heading south west towards the Amirante Islands, not due west as indicated on the chart. Considering the tens of thousands of merchant ships, cruise ships, coasters, dhows, trawlers, motor cruisers, yachts and other vessels that ply the Indian Ocean each day, their odds of escaping intact were probably better than if they'd had a night out in the West End. They were just exceptionally unlucky on this occasion.

If you are ever interested in sailing in the Seychelles, Sunsail is offering bareboat and skippered yacht charter holidays in this ‘paradise on earth’ (link)

13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I stand corrected apologies

I shall write to my M.P. demanding the S.A.S are despatched straight away