Royal Navy saves Spanish vessel from pirate attack

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Dec 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. slightly ironic as they still call us pirates

3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I suppose it makes a change from Spanish fishing vessels being arrested by the Royal Navy. Perhaps the skinnies just wanted to check his net size and log book?

4. Is that a wah?

5. Bouillabaisse

And having read the article, I'd like to point out to whoever writes these RSS feeds, if they're looking in, that their title is seriously misleading, if not a downright lie. The units involved were a Royal Fleet Auxiliary ship, manned by civilians, and a Royal Marine boarding team. No Naval personnel were involved.

6. It's a spin doctor in the MoD surely.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bouillabaisse

Sadly I suspect it's a deliberate policy to claim everything floating as being done by the RN to get it in the public eye as much as possible and is not being done by some clueless civil servant.

I think that a better ploy would be to point out that using a ship that's essentially a floating petrol station and bomb store is not the best platform to put in the firing line of a pirate with an RPG and the RN have to do it because someone took away all their warships.

• Like Like x 1
  8. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Sadly, fish stew, you've ignored the helicopter. Plus of course it is the RN which organises which RFA goes where.

9. yes, i know a crew member, and. From what she was saying last time I saw her, the RFA seem to be operating as warships now, within the task force!

10. The Royal Marines are no longer a part of the Royal Navy?

11. It does seem that the navy has been cut back so far that we have no appropriate vessels left for this task, and are forced to use what are in effect unprotected civilian vessels in what could become a hazardous environment.

But perhaps the navy chose to retain the wrong vessels. opting for faster, sexier vessels when hat it really needs is platforms to deploy aircraft and troops from?

12. It's up to them - if they don't want to be a part of the RN, then they best get cosy with CGS, because we won't pay for them.

13. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Except for the 20 or so permanent RN staff onboard, oh and the 160 odd FAA staff.

But otherwise yeah, no RN personnel at all.

14. well done Royal Navy!