Royal Navy issues record fine for illegal fishing

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Feb 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Is that what the Navy is reduced to?

3. Yes

But seeing as it was a fishery protection vessel it is sort of what its supposed to be doing......

4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I was going to be sarcastic about MOD feeds in my reply but instead I shall be educational (and probably boring) - the Royal Navy has been providing protection to British fishing for over 400 years. In the old days it was frigates and cutters protecting British fishing boats from pirates and slavers. These days they attempt to enforce EU and British fishing regulations on behalf of DEFRA in the face of an indifferent DEFRA prosecution team and a judiciary that fails to take illegal fishing seriously. The RN do a boring and dangerous job and generally what they get in return is the British fishing industry calling them a bunch of *****. It may not be sexy or exciting and it doesn't win them any medals or many friends, but it has to be done. In 20 years' time when the RN doesn't operate outside British waters and only has 10 ships those 10 will be fishery protection.

5. Now that's job satisfaction.

6. What? Issuing parking and speeding tickets?

7. It was sarcasm.

8. Mine was sarcasm +1. I have finally entered the worlds beyond the British humor.....thanks ARRSE!

9. It's all rather a bit 'Parking Enforment', isn't it?

What happened to the good old days of boarding parties nailing warrants to the mast and waging distress upon Her Majesties enemies?

This may be not unconnected with the fact that while the RN, being the consummate professionals they are, obey the letter of the law and act in a very diligent manner to deal with illegal fishing, our trawlermen are all too aware that the forces of certain nameless EU countries are, how shall we put it? Less than 'diligent' when dealing with the transgressions of their own flagged fisherfolk.

10. All said and done, the RN is best placed to deal with Fishery Protection.

Even the tallest Guardsman will only manage to wade a few yards into the sea before he drowns.

As for the RAF, they could send in the Regiment, they are used to Protection duties, but they would have to put a fence around the UK so the Regiment have somethiong to navigate by.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

If you're talking about me, I can thankfully say that I never did Fish. I did do another, slightly more interesting job involving boarding ships but that had the added fun of being armed, having dog search teams (for more exciting boarding problems) and having a chain of command that took what we were doing seriously. And I suspect job satisfaction is where you find it. The ship's company in Mersey probably got a kick out of getting a collar.

12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Iceland won all three Cod Wars on the away goals rule.

13. We let you have one every now and then, just to make you feel as though you think you are superior when we all know otherwise :wink:

14. What is the point again or RSS_MOD posting on here?

15. To 'get the message out'…

Alas, I suspect they sometimes send the 'wrong' message.