Royal Navy helps reduce Somali pirate activity

Ministry of Defence said:
Following his posting as Commander of the UK Counter-Piracy Task Group, Captain Gerry Northwood, Royal Navy, has written in The Times newspaper about how concerted efforts are helping reduce attacks on merchant vessels.

More...

M

Mr_Tigger

Well this makes me feel much better about the certain knowledge the RN would lose a shooting war with a well orgnised kayak club.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Is the Navy winning because most Somalli's are in London knifing each other over whose turn it is with the new Nike Whitney Jackson Air Trainer?

Royal Navy helps reduce Somali pirate activity

Most merchant vessels in the Indian Ocean and the Gulf of Aden are now employing armed and unarmed security teams, along with other protection measures. Collectively this description of merchant ship self-protection goes by the mundane name of 'industry best management practice'.…"

I suspect that's the reason for the reduction in pirate activity rather than the RN's efforts in trying not to kill pirates.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
For those who wish to take this important subject seriously I have put some links on:

BBC: " Inside Navy's Anti-Piracy Control Room"

Meanwhile, a little bit of thought about RoE and our Government's policies of 1. Not bringing pirates back to UK because we would never get rid of them and 2. Finding countries that do not have a death penalty to try them

would not go amiss. This is a subject for grown-ups.

Meanwhile India is sad because armed guards on an Italian merchant ship (doesn't mean the guards were Italian) shot and killed two innocent Indian fishermen last week.

...Meanwhile India is sad because armed guards on an Italian merchant ship (doesn't mean the guards were Italian) shot and killed two innocent Indian fishermen last week.
Whereas the Indian Navy has form in this respect (much to the gloating approval of some of the more immature contributors to this thread, no doubt):

...But Noel Choong, head of the International Maritime Bureau (IMB) piracy reporting centre, said the vessel it attacked was a Thai-operated fishing boat which had been seized by Somali pirates off Yemen on November 18.

"We can confirm that the incident has taken place. One Thai crew member died during the attack by the Indian navy, on the same day the vessel was hijacked by Somali pirates," he told AFP.

Choong said that one Cambodian crewman was rescued by passing fishermen four days later, but 14 other crew on the Kiribati-registered vessel are still missing.

The downed boat was owned by the Thai-based Sirichai Fisheries and was being held by heavily armed pirates at the time the Indian frigate, the INS Tabar, opened fire. Sirichai Fisheries confirmed the deep sea trawler Ekawatnava 5 had been destroyed and said the crew were tied up when it opened fire...
Many more captives have been killed by their trigger-happy supposed 'protectors' than by the Somali pirates themselves. Moreover, trigger-happy forces have killed more captives than pirates.

And please, no one quote that bogusly misleading video about the Russians knowing how to treat pirates appropriately. All their captives have either been released or handed over to the few countries willing to prosecute them.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Mod mode on

I am going to let this thread run as a grown up area to discuss piracy and the UK role. I will moderate heavily and warn people now that infractions will be handed out for crayoning.

Love Guns