Royal Navy helps reduce Somali pirate activity

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Feb 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Well this makes me feel much better about the certain knowledge the RN would lose a shooting war with a well orgnised kayak club.
  3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Is the Navy winning because most Somalli's are in London knifing each other over whose turn it is with the new Nike Whitney Jackson Air Trainer?

4. Most merchant vessels in the Indian Ocean and the Gulf of Aden are now employing armed and unarmed security teams, along with other protection measures. Collectively this description of merchant ship self-protection goes by the mundane name of 'industry best management practice'.…"

I suspect that's the reason for the reduction in pirate activity rather than the RN's efforts in trying not to kill pirates.
  5. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

For those who wish to take this important subject seriously I have put some links on:

BBC: " Inside Navy's Anti-Piracy Control Room"

Meanwhile, a little bit of thought about RoE and our Government's policies of 1. Not bringing pirates back to UK because we would never get rid of them and 2. Finding countries that do not have a death penalty to try them

would not go amiss. This is a subject for grown-ups.

Meanwhile India is sad because armed guards on an Italian merchant ship (doesn't mean the guards were Italian) shot and killed two innocent Indian fishermen last week.
  6. Whereas the Indian Navy has form in this respect (much to the gloating approval of some of the more immature contributors to this thread, no doubt):

Many more captives have been killed by their trigger-happy supposed 'protectors' than by the Somali pirates themselves. Moreover, trigger-happy forces have killed more captives than pirates.

And please, no one quote that bogusly misleading video about the Russians knowing how to treat pirates appropriately. All their captives have either been released or handed over to the few countries willing to prosecute them.
  7. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Mod mode on

I am going to let this thread run as a grown up area to discuss piracy and the UK role. I will moderate heavily and warn people now that infractions will be handed out for crayoning.

Love Guns