Royal Navy finds uncharted Red Sea mount

Ministry of Defence said:
Royal Navy survey ship HMS Echo has discovered a previously uncharted underwater 'mountain' on the bed of the Red Sea the size of the rock of Gibraltar.

More...

These MOD RSS threads are getting quite tedious. I know I shouldn't reply (as it's automated) but really, who gives a fcuk about 75% of the stuff it puts on here.

Next one. Army Recruits fire rifles during basic training.

These news feeds help to give the site some "cred", and at least the news is comming from the people who released it. Unlike when people on here rush back from the Daily Mail or BBC news site to post a link... Particularly when they don't check to see that it's already been posted, and commented on and argued over.

So this time they didn't find it by running a submarine into it? Very good. Well done.
The hi-tech sonar suites of the Devonport-based survey ship mapped the huge feature for the first time, and it will now be marked on charts to prevent other seafarers running into it.
RN is retaining the right to collide with it.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
These news feeds help to give the site some "cred", and at least the news is comming from the people who released it. Unlike when people on here rush back from the Daily Mail or BBC news site to post a link... Particularly when they don't check to see that it's already been posted, and commented on and argued over.
Yeah, thanks. Always nice to be kept up to speed. Here we see RN discovering a previously uncharted underwater 'mountain' near the Skye Bridge the size of the rock of Gibraltar.

Which local fishermen had managed to avoid for about 3,000 years.

View attachment 80836

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
How do you discover something then write evidently Yemani fishermen knew it exsisted as they'd anchored on to it.
Hard;y as startleing discovery when the locals are parking on it

BTW Are you recruiting?
My missus discovered a bollard the other day by reversing into it.
No need for high tech gear just select reverse and hey presto she discovered it within 30 seconds.
She would do well with one of your submarines but I live in hope even she could miss Scotland on a good day.

Apart from the military benefits from the work of the UK Hydrographic Office and survey flotilla, much of it sneaky-beaky stuff, commercial sales of its services and products generated an income to the MoD of £133 million in 2011/12. We don't have too many cash cows like that in our ORBAT.

Unfortunately, HMS Nottingham bumping into the well charted Wolf Rock also cost a few shillings to polish the dents out.

This is awesome news. I am so excited over the latest discovery, it will change my life immeasurably. Maybe they have finally found a homeland for the Palestinians from Gaza.

Apart from the military benefits from the work of the UK Hydrographic Office and survey flotilla, much of it sneaky-beaky stuff, commercial sales of its services and products generated an income to the MoD of £133 million in 2011/12. We don't have too many cash cows like that in our ORBAT.
How much of that does the MoD see? How much disappears to the Treasury? Genuine question.

Don't shout to loud about it, or it will become common knowledge and privatised/sold off with a ex MP or ex Senior Officer as it's MD.

They've found a big rock under the sea ? amazing.
[Deadpan]

Yes, isn't it? Although most outputs are digital these days, that's one of the reasons why foreign navies, shipping companies, other maritime organisations, oil companies, civil engineering firms, fishermen and yachtsmen, academics and scientists all over the world have relied on Admiralty charts, tide tables, tidal stream atlases, seabed, sub-seabed and water column data, meterological data, etc., for over 300 years. What's more, we hold the copyright and they pay a tidy sum to the MoD via the UKHO for the privilege of using our services and products.

[/Deadpan]

Latest Threads