"Royal Navy does not have enough ships" says new survey.

Mattb

LE
Actually it does, but it's a HEDP (high explosive dual purpose) shaped charge, rather than a kinetic penetrator.

View attachment 457644
Yes, as I said it doesn't fire AP ammunition. It does have ammunition usable against armoured targets, but AP is a specific nature for which there is no round in service for the M230.

mcphee1948

War Hero
I can't see the R.A.F. sharing it's training facilities willingly with the F.A.A.

Those two services have long been at each others throats.
When you mention separate Services being at each others' throats, I think you may have a an important point.
I have never served in the Military. All my knowledge, such as it is, comes from reading books.

And what astonishes me in these books, especially about WWII, is the extraordinary degree to which antagonisms between the British Army and the RAF, and between the RAF and the Royal Navy, seem to have adversely affected the British war effort.

One might have thought that all three Services would have got together, to work for the common goal of winning the war.

But no - from what I've read, the senior Commanders of the three Services often seemed more preoccupied with fighting each other than defeating Germany. There are so many examples of this that it would wearisome to recite them all. I'm sure historically-minded members of AARSE could bring to light some of the worst examples.

Do these attitudes really persist to the present day?

mcphee1948

War Hero
This is a British Army forum, i don't understand why an american would come here and start taking offence and reacting like a child every time anyone talks about something american.
Bloody yanks, late in WWI and WWII, haven't even started WWIII yet.

When you mention separate Services being at each others' throats, I think you may have a an important point.
I have never served in the Military. All my knowledge, such as it is, comes from reading books.

And what astonishes me in these books, especially about WWII, is the extraordinary degree to which antagonisms between the British Army and the RAF, and between the RAF and the Royal Navy, seem to have adversely affected the British war effort.
My bold - what evidence do you have for this, other than quotes from books (which by their nature are written by authors looking to make money)?

My bold - what evidence do you have for this, other than quotes from books (which by their nature are written by authors looking to make money)?
I think its probably correct in effect - but - its conflicting ideas§ doctrines / competing demands with antagonism

eg (and sorry if im seemingly picking on crab air - its just Harris and strategic bombing is a good example)
A reluctance / failure to withdraw from the strategic bombing effort and divert heavy bombers to MPA roles early in the war - that was a negative impact

Harris refusal to divert resources to the transport plan until Churchill got involved (not a negative as it got resolved)

Neither was down to antagonism or really rivalry but is a good example of how disjointedness and service belief was contrary to the war effort - Equally it should be noted that often this disjointedness or at least if onlyism is with the benefit of hindsight at the time Harris position may well have seemed entirely correct it was after all the only way we could slap Dolphy and co directly

Because you lot seem to know everything...
Only thing I am certain about is we dont have enough ships
So we don't have enough sailors]
We dont have enough troops to lockdown our capital city
We dont have enough police either
We dont have enough doctors
We dont have enough nurses
We dont have enough hospital beds
We dont have enough ventilators
We dont have enough testing kits]

We have to take it out on someone.........and the Chinks don't speak the same language :cool:

Only thing I am certain about is we dont have enough ships
So we don't have enough sailors]
We dont have enough troops to lockdown our capital city
We dont have enough police either
We dont have enough doctors
We dont have enough nurses
We dont have enough hospital beds
We dont have enough ventilators
We dont have enough testing kits]

We have to take it out on someone.........and the Chinks don't speak the same language :cool:
I can't be considered fluent in it either!!

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fun as the thread is, A10s have **** all to do with the RN. End of A10 conversations.

Friendly warning.

Latest Threads