Royal Navy detains fishing vessel with illegal nets

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Aug 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Slow news day for the RN I guess, but seriously.......WHO GIVES A ****.
  3. I do actually, fishermen illegally trashing the environment for profit should be stopped - a damn fine use of my taxes if I say so myself.

Well done the Andrew.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Can they keep the money to put towards another boat?
  5. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Do you think we might stop the stupidity of throwing back a significant part of the catch dead because the trawler doesn't have a permit to land those species?

I've always thought that's a particularly cretinous part of the EU fisheries policy.

And don't get me started on benthic (bottom trawling) - which turns the seabed into a wasteland.

Fcuking MEP's are more interested in protecting their fisherman's jobs than the environment - and in the meantime entire ecosystems are being wiped out.

(Sitting on the fence over this one, aren't I...)
    • Like Like x 2
  6. The EU (again!)fishing quotas have destroyed the UK industry, the fish are still caught but most are thrown back, dead!

7. Er ..... the baby fish?
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

...aint many voters on the seabed.
    Political interest in the environment depends on whether there is money or votes in it.
    I used to dive on the Dogger Bank wrecks regularly, the amount of nets was unreal.
  9. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

I helped a friend study for a BSc and then an MSc in fresh water and marine biology. As a result I ended up reading a lot of research papers on the damage the EU fishing policy is causing to the environment and fish stocks. It's not as if there's a lack of information about the problem. Particularly worrying is the long time scale it takes environments and species to recover from this cretinous activity. It can take 10 - 20 years for a bottom dredged seabed to recover anything like its numbers and diversity.

The stupid thing is that if we managed the seas correctly we could increase the yield of fish while allowing stocks to increase and the environment to recover. There are more than a few pilot studies showing that fishermen support these activities when its shown they get a long term benefit. A simple example of that is establishing a network of protected areas on the sea bed. Species recover numbers in those protected areas, then spread outside to areas fished by trawlers. The loss of fishing area is more than counterbalanced by the increased productivity of the areas outside the protected ones. When the fishermen see that, they leave the protected areas alone because they know in doing so it increases their long term earnings.

But I suppose that sort of initiative requires MEP's to actually read a range of scientific papers and understand them. It also requires them to go talk to the fishermen and 'sell' the policy.

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

This is true, I was involved in setting up one in Italy.

It's not a new problem though, it was just as bad if not worse before from an enviromental perspective with competing boats from all over landing anything anywhere and everywhere.