Royal Navy and the Battle of Britain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that the anti-Sea Lion action would have been a one-off sacrificial op by the RN, carried out without regard to losses. On a scale of national importance, it would have been up there with the Armada and Trafalgar. =

No, RN losses could have be relatively minimal, it being perfectly possible to leave Pompey at teatime, nip along to Eastborne, brass up ze Geermans, and be back home for a fry up for breakfast with nothing much the Germans could have done about you. Lest we forget, the RN ships was regularly shooting up French ports at night in September 1940.

However! Without RAF air superiority, the task of the defenders on land would have been much harder if the Germans had gotten ashore.

The RAF were just as necessary as the Navy. You can't fight a modern war without air superiority.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Some years ago I saw a TV programme involving a retired Army Officer in which he mentioned something about having wargamed the invasion, using British plans from the time, and captured German documents. If I remember correctly, the results were that the Germans invaded, but that the follow on supplies were virtually destroyed by the Home Fleet, and the German advanced stalled.

The Daily Telegraph ran a major war game in 1974 in conjunction with Sandhurst. Both the 'British' and 'German' sides were umpired by officers serving at the time. For instance the German Navy was umpired by Admiral Ruge, who was Rommel's naval liaison officer at the time of the Normandy landings.

Info on the war game is here:

Operation Sea Lion : The Sandhurst Wargame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A summary of the results is here.

http://mr-home.staff.shef.ac.uk/hobbies/seelowe.txt

After the Germans were 'defeated' in their Sea Lion attempt Ruge turned to the British officers and said (with a big grin), "Now we'll war game your D-Day landings and see if they succeeded".

Wordsmith

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Unless anyone can PM me with a convincing argument to open it this thread is locked as it has been done to death before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads