Royal Munster Fusiliers

I'm trying to collect some badges and medals for my kids,from my granddads old regiment. He served in the 2nd btn 1915-1918. Can anyone recommend auction houses or sellers. Thanks for any help, I know their are some clued up people on this site.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

AT55

LE
I just looked on e Bay and guess what?

I'd rather eat a NAAFI pie than trust e-bay, so if you can't help fcuk off.

Thanks, Drew I'll have a look at them. I'm just finding it hard to find anything to collect on that btn.

Drew5233

Old-Salt
Sometimes it takes an age to finally get what you are looking for, patience is the key - I'm still looking for a few regimental histories to complete my 1940 BEF set, I have all the Cavalry/Armoured histories from the campaign and nearly all the Infantry ones - The Sherwood Foresters by Barclay I've been looking for, for over 4 years now.

Have you checked to see if you can download the battalions war diaries from the National Archives? They should make for interesting reading.

Thanks for that Drew, been given a good tip. Marlow's auction house and Bosleys, who do cap badges etc. so like you said it just a case of waiting.

Cheers for that Drew, my brother got hold of a book. The 2nd Munsters in France by the Naval & Military Press written in 1922. A interesting read, now know which battles his btn were involved in and where they were cut off and made POWs in Nov 17.

Downloaded one of the war diaries. My brother downloaded the rest. Too tell the truth Drew a bit disappointed expecting nominal roll call lists. Didn't expect pencil entries and trying to decipher different handwriting. Thought it would all have been typed later by a clerk
But found it interesting, the book I mentioned though was a better read.

Drew5233

Old-Salt
Considering they were written pretty much on a day to day basis in the trenches etc circa 100 years ago I'm surprised there is anything at all. The change in handwriting is probably due to the officer that was writing them being killed or wounded and someone taking his place.

Just as well you didn't ask someone to copy them for you though, they'd probably cost a lot more than a tenner :salut:

Latest Threads