Royal Motorcade: Two Dead As Car Hits Crowd / Holland

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by YesItsMe, Apr 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

At least two people are reported to have been killed and several hurt in The Netherlands after a car careered into spectators watching a royal motorcade.

[​IMG]

A photographer said the small car appeared to be deliberately driving at high speed toward an open-top bus carrying Queen Beatrix and her family in the western Dutch city of Apeldoorn.
    Cynthia Boll said she saw about 20 people "flying through the air" after the black car swerved across police railings, where crowds of people were waiting to see the queen pass.
    The car slammed into a monument. Video footage showed police removing a man from the vehicle and putting him into an ambulance.
    The royal family were seen clutching their hands to their mouths in shock as the incident happened before their eyes.
    The royal bus was not hit and no one in the queen's entourage was injured.
    Journalist Peter von de Vorst said the incident was like watching a horror movie.

"It was a really nice day. Then you hear a bang. Everyone looks up and you see people flying through the air. This must be a joke or a strange prank. Then suddenly panic, and you realise that something really terrible has happened," he said.
    Dutch television said two people were killed and about a dozen injured, including children.
    Shortly after the incident, investigators and a sniffer dog examined the car for explosives, then sawed off the roof for a closer inspection.
    People have been tweeting about the crash, saying the royals saw what happened and were shocked.
    People were lining railings five or six deep to see the royal family pass on its way to a palace. The motorcade was part of celebrations for the annual national holiday of Queen's Day.
    Apeldoorn Mayor Fred de Graaf said all festivities were being cancelled.
    "The scare and the images that the family has seen are reason to break off the official programme," he said.
    Holiday events were also called off in the port city of Rotterdam, and more were likely to be cancelled around the country.
    Hundreds of thousands of people flock to the main Dutch cities to celebrate the national holiday, originally intended to celebrate the birthday of Beatrix's mother Queen Juliana.
    The royal family normally spends the day in a small Dutch community.

Article to be found here

I'm sure they were only on their way to France to see the 'large mushroom cloud rising' at Chinon.
    Of course they got lost then, we're talking about Dutchmen. :evil:

2. Some day this "Human Skittles" game will catch on!

The Daily Mail said that they were unclear why it happened, but another one I read (I've forgotten which one) said that it was done on purpose??

4. YesItsMe

For those who'd like to watch it all, have a look here.

Oh, and meanwhile it's 4 ppl killed, though figure might still rise.

5. Officially its now 5 dead and 12 seriosly injred in hospital.

Its unclear whether the culprit is one of the 12 - he is apparently in hospital in critical condition. Also reporting that before he blacked out that he was aiming at the royal family (according to Dutch TV).

Can't believe what I'm seeing watching the news here in The Hague, imagery of people flung through the air, being resuscitated in the middle of the street.

Shocked.

Thoughts with those injured and with the family and friends of all victims.

7. Not in the Current Affairs it won't, go play your game in Naafi Bar. :evil:

8. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

9. Another civvy no-mark.

10. Driver of the car died overnight

11. YesItsMe

I'm seriously asking myself how can one try to assault people on top of a bus using a small car.

No exlosives, nothing, how stupid can you be to expect that to work?

At least he did the decent thing then and died.

12. Apparently, this is a new feature on Top Gear: Psycho in a Reasonably Priced Car

13. YesItsMe

Ok, this explains a lot. I guess ppl in the reasonably small village of Apeldoorn must be stunned.

14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Apeldoorn is a really nice place too. All joking aside, it's a pretty horrific thing that's happened, and I really feel for them.

Anyone know where can sell a spares/repairs motor with a bit of front end damage?

15. The driver had recently lost his job as a security guard, and was today due to be evicted from his house.

I guess the pressure caused him to crack.