Royal Military Tattoo

An Early Day Motion was entered on 26/1/06 demanding of the Gov't that they keep their pledge for a Military Pageant following their decision to scrap the Tattoo in 1999.

That this House notes that the Royal Tournament, which acted as a showcase for the work of the armed services and featured military bands, cavalry displays by the Royal Horse Artillery, an annual naval field gun race and mock battles fought by Gurkhas, Royal Marines and other special units of the armed forces, was disbanded by the Government in 1999 having been held for 119 years; further notes that whilst a new military tattoo was promised to be held each summer from 2001 onwards within the spectacular and historic setting of Horse Guards' Parade, with ceremonial elements, massed bands and pageantry, such an event has only been held once; believes that an annual high profile event in London focusing on the capabilities and operational activities of the UK's modern armed forces is important to show appreciation and recognition of the essential work of service personnel in the protection of this country and its interests overseas; and calls on the Government to examine the options for establishing an annual military tattoo in London to give effect to its previous public commitments.
Only 35 names have been added to the motion. Full details can be found HERE of who has signed and who hasn't.

A quick email to your MP asking why they have failed to support the EDM may elicit a few interesting responses from our "elected members"...

stameen_s said:
Can I ask why the RMT was scrapped in the first place?
Official reason was cost, real reason was probably the New Labour project to eradicate any trace of national pride, identity, and history prior to 1997.

Looks like it's a quick trip north of the border again but I bet Edinburgh is sold out already.

Loved those Scottish Country Dancers (from NZ)

I like a bit of culture and you should have seen the t1ts on them!

stameen_s said:
Because it had become rubbish. High quality military display teams were interspersed with the dull (Essex Dog Training Club), the dross (poorly pitched recruiting efforts that neither inspired nor captivated) or the dubious (too much leverage of sponsors). The net effect was franky to devalue the army brand in a format that had become tired and unimaginative.

We are better off without it - but something new is needed. There are plenty of precedents which could be fine tuned. SuperWED, CAFD, BAEE's etc. Find somewhere by the sea with a good weapons template and go for it.

Edinburgh is sold out, The scottish dancers are great. But i wonder if the standard of totty on the tattoo will go down now that Col Mel. has stepped down as producer. He had a great eye for the ladies and travelled the world each year to bring back eye candy for the massed Pipes & Drums. He will be missed.

It would be great to see the royal tournament brought back, Just for military acts, white helmets, naval gun teams, Military bands, Pipes and Drums. But sadly i dont think we have the manpower to commit to such an event again. It is unfair to send the troops on operations then on thier return take them away from their familly for the tattoo.

This happens often with the Pipes and Drums that perform at edinburgh.

The Royal Military Tattoo 2000 was a great show but if it could be done succesfully every year i do not know.

Edinburgh works and every year. Ok if you're from the UK then you don't stand a chance as the McEwans from Wisconsin have block booked.

Can't wait for this years one. I like a show that includes the diverse countries and their diverse cultures and their diverse acts but especially the scottish country dancers with big t1ts. I won't say anything about my diverse acts though.

Cpl ripper
Excellent link to mailing your MP
I'll be knocking a few letters out on a variety of subjects!!
theGimp

Thanks for pointing this out Woopert. A missive is winging it's way to my MP right now as his name was noticeably absent on the EDM listing, though I won't hold my breath for a coherent response. I'm still waiting for his reply to my letter requesting PQs on several things, including the issue of body armour to our troops in Iraq.

I was fortunate enough to attend the splendid Military Tattoo in 2000 held on Horseguards, quite emotional as I recall, it being the last display of military pageantry for the foreseeable. Would love to see something similar resurrected, I believe it would be an important part of re-generating national and armed forces pride.

Of particular interest are the members of the "Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme" whereby MP's are given the honarary rank equivalent of Lt Col/WingCo/Cdr in their sponsor service and sent off on jollies in order to educate them in the ways of the services. My MP, a serving RE(V) Maj and member of the defence Select Cttee is on this as an RAF rep.

As of 2003, the following MP's have taken part in the scheme:

Adam Ingram (L) Army
Adrian Flook (C) Royal Marines
Alan Keen (L) Royal Air Force
Andrew Mackinlay (L) Royal Marines
Andrew Miller (L) Royal Navy
Ann Keen (L) Royal Air Force
Anne McGuire (L) Royal Navy
Anne McIntosh (C) Royal Navy
Austin Mitchell (L) Royal Navy
Bob Russell (LD) Army
Brian Donohoe (L) Royal Air Force
Calum MacDonald (L) Army
Cheryl Gillan (C) Royal Air Force
Claire Ward (L) Royal Marines
Dan Norris (L) Royal Air Force
David Borrow (L) Army
David Crausby (L) Royal Marines
David Drew (L) Army
David Heath (LD) Royal Navy
David Jamieson (L) Royal Marines
David Stewart (L) Royal Air Force
David Watts (L) Army
David Wilshire (C) Royal Navy
Debra Shipley (L) Royal Navy
Dr. John Reid (L) Army
Dr. Julian Lewis (C) Royal Air Force
Dr. Robert Spink (C) Royal Marines
Edward Garnier QC (C) Army
Edward Leigh (C) Royal Navy
Frank Cook (L) Army
Geoffrey Clifton-Brown (C) Royal Air Force
Gerald Howarth (C) Army
Gerald Steinberg (L) Royal Air Force
Gillian Merron (L) Royal Air Force
Gwyn Prosser (L) Royal Navy
Hugh Bayley (L) Royal Air Force
Ian Davidson (L) Royal Marines
Ivan Henderson (L) Royal Navy
James Cran (C) Royal Marines
James Gray (C) Army
Jimmy Hood (L) Army
Jim Murphy (L) Royal Navy
Joan Walley (L) Royal Air Force
John Greenway (C) Royal Air Force
John Home Robertson (L) Army
John McWilliam (C) Royal Marines
John Wilkinson (C) Royal Marines
Jonathan Shaw (L) Army
Kerry Pollard (L) Royal Navy
Linda Perham (L) Royal Navy
Lindsay Hoyle (L) Royal Marines
Lorna Fitzsimons (L) Army
Marion Roe (C) Royal Navy
Mark Todd (L) Royal Navy
Martyn Jones (L) Royal Air Force
Michael Connarty (L) Army
Michael Fabricant (C) Royal Marines
Mike O'Brien (L) Army
Nicholas Winterton (C) Army
Nick Hawkins (C) Army
Nigel Evans (C) Royal Air Force
Paddy Tipping (L) Royal Marines
Paul Keetch (LD) Royal Navy
Peter Bottomley (C) Royal Air Force
Peter Luff (C) Royal Navy
Rachel Squire (L) Royal Navy
Roger Gale (C) Royal Navy
Sandra Gidley (LD) Army
Sir George Young Army
Stephen Hepburn (L) Royal Marines
Stephen McCabe (L) Royal Air Force
Stephen Pound (L) Royal Navy
Syd Rapson (L) Royal Marines
Terry Lewis (L) Royal Air Force
The Right hon. Dr. Gavin Strang (L) Royal Air Force
Tom Cox (L) Royal Navy
Tony Colman (L) Royal Air Force
Tony McWalter (L) Royal Navy

An interesting exercise (fopr when I'm truely bored) will be to compare the names of those members who have enjoyed flights in the back of fast-jets, gone haring round STANTA in whatever the army has to offer, or a few nights on the vino and port in the wardroom of HMS Roleless and who have not returned the compliment of actually supporting HMF in this, or any other EDM or Bill.

woopert said:
Of particular interest are the members of the "Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme" whereby MP's are given the honarary rank equivalent of Lt Col/WingCo/Cdr in their sponsor service and sent off on jollies in order to educate them in the ways of the services. My MP, a serving RE(V) Maj and member of the defence Select Cttee is on this as an RAF rep.

As of 2003, the following MP's have taken part in the scheme:

Dr. John Reid (L) Army
Didn't learn much then

No Anne Widdecombe, definite candidate for the APTC.

woopert said:
stameen_s said:
Official reason was cost, real reason was probably the New Labour project to eradicate any trace of national pride, identity, and history prior to 1997.
Is it just me or is big tone growing a little inch wide moustache, wearing a red white and black armband with a funny cross on andwaving a lot? Reminds me of someone...hmmmmm......washisname?

barnezy349 said:
woopert said:
stameen_s said:
Is it just me or is big tone growing a little inch wide moustache, wearing a red white and black armband with a funny cross on andwaving a lot? Reminds me of someone...hmmmmm......washisname?
Nick Griffin?

Haven't noticed the moustache though.

If they bring nothing else back, I think they should bring back the gun race. Very identifiable tradition, well-known outside the UK.

NTM

California_Tanker said:
If they bring nothing else back, I think they should bring back the gun race. Very identifiable tradition, well-known outside the UK.

NTM
Agreed but not the commentator. There's only so many ways to describe if a team is in the lead or not and they were well exhausted by the eighties.

On the list of MP's I spotted at least one serving reservist.

I went to a cocktail party for the AFPS last year, its fair to say those that take part know what they're talking about and genuinely care about the forces.

woopert said:
An Early Day Motion was entered on 26/1/06 demanding of the Gov't that they keep their pledge for a Military Pageant following their decision to scrap the Tattoo in 1999.

That this House notes that the Royal Tournament, which acted as a showcase for the work of the armed services and featured military bands, cavalry displays by the Royal Horse Artillery, an annual naval field gun race and mock battles fought by Gurkhas, Royal Marines and other special units of the armed forces, was disbanded by the Government in 1999 having been held for 119 years; further notes that whilst a new military tattoo was promised to be held each summer from 2001 onwards within the spectacular and historic setting of Horse Guards' Parade, with ceremonial elements, massed bands and pageantry, such an event has only been held once; believes that an annual high profile event in London focusing on the capabilities and operational activities of the UK's modern armed forces is important to show appreciation and recognition of the essential work of service personnel in the protection of this country and its interests overseas; and calls on the Government to examine the options for establishing an annual military tattoo in London to give effect to its previous public commitments.
Only 35 names have been added to the motion. Full details can be found HERE of who has signed and who hasn't.

A quick email to your MP asking why they have failed to support the EDM may elicit a few interesting responses from our "elected members"...
After I read this, I fired off an email via the link that someone provided, but it only got delivered to my MP on 5th July.

He's written to Des Browne asking for his comments.

I thought it had been replaced - Horse Guards will be converted to a beach volleyball pitch for the 2012 Olympics.

I kid you not.