Royal Military Police question

Hi, I was just wondering if there are any serving RMP’s or anyone with some knowledge that can help me out...

I am a young female who is wanting to join the rmp before using these skills for civvy street police, not only that but being a part of the military is a high aspiration of mine.

I was just wondering what a general working week is like?

What shifts do you work?

Where are full time rmps based if in the uk?

Do they get the same leave with regards to Christmas and New Years etc...

Hope somebody can help as the National recruitment team had next to no answers for me.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hi, I was just wondering if there are any serving RMP’s or anyone with some knowledge that can help me out...

I am a young female who is wanting to join the rmp before using these skills for civvy street police, not only that but being a part of the military is a high aspiration of mine.

What shifts do you work?

Where are full time rmps based? Catterick etc...

I live in Yorkshire and would like to know if you get the choice to pick where you wish to be based as Catterick would be my preferred place.

Hope somebody can help as the National recruitment team had next to no answers for me.

Thank you.
What happened to the days of joining up, leaving home and seeing the world? It seems as if today's recruits just want a job but be near enough to Mum so they have a shoulder to cry on when the Shouty Man get's a bit too shouty!

You'll be a soldier, so will go where they send you. And what's the point of joining up and then living close to your family. Are you sure the Army's for you?

You'll get short shrift from the AFCO if you go in telling them that the RMP is just a way for you to beef up your chances of getting into a Yorkshire police force.

What shifts do you work?

Where are full time rmps based? Catterick etc...

I live in Yorkshire and would like to know if you get the choice to pick where you wish to be based as Catterick would be my preferred place.

Thank you.
Get some experiance but if your considering civvie police why not try shifts as Special Constable, perhaps Army Reserve if there is a unit near you which is RMP based?

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs

What shifts do you work?

Thank you.
Recruitment team don’t have answers for the following reasons.

You don’t do shifts in the army, leave package is standard throughout the army and usually done on a rotation basis between those in the unit to see who works when. As a general rule though it’s nice to let those with kids have first dibs on things like Christmas.

The RMP are based all over the place, you go where you’re sent. As a general rule, where’s there’s soldiers, there’s RMP.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor

What shifts do you work?

Thank you.
Firstly, if that's you in your profile pic, you look unhinged enough to fit in as a squaddie.

Secondly, why bother with the RMP just to hop over to the police? It's not a stepping stone, it's a career on par if not possibly better than civvie police.

I suggest you have a long, hard think. If you're only going to go RMP to get into civvie police, don't waste that time, join the civpop instead. However, if you're only early 20's, you may find joining civvie police burns you out after a few years and you jack it in

In which case, I'd suggest RMP for as long as you can - forget about civvie police, then when your time ends, consider joining it then as your default employment option.

Certainly don't race to join the plod. It's shit.

Looks like a right danger **** with those manic eyes.
So, scarlet beret plus a warrant card, with manic eyes and also the suggestion of being a dangerf**k......sounds like she’s perfect for our estimed Corp of Monkeydom.

I recon a weekend of seedy shenanigans with her would be akin to an episode of Spartacus but slightly more dramatic.

What happened to the days of joining up, leaving home and seeing the world? It seems as if today's recruits just want a job but be near enough to Mum so they have a shoulder to cry on when the Shouty Man get's a bit too shouty!
Or seeing the Forces as a career rather than a short hop to pastures new?

Firstly, if that's you in your profile pic, you look unhinged enough to fit in as a squaddie.

Secondly, why bother with the RMP just to hop over to the police? It's not a stepping stone, it's a career on par if not possibly better than civvie police.

I suggest you have a long, hard think. If you're only going to go RMP to get into civvie police, don't waste that time, join the civpop instead. However, if you're only early 20's, you may find joining civvie police burns you out after a few years and you jack it in

In which case, I'd suggest RMP for as long as you can - forget about civvie police, then when your time ends, consider joining it then as your default employment option.

Certainly don't race to join the plod. It's shit.
Agreed. Nor is it a given that you’ll get into CivPol just because you’ve been RMP. You’ll still have to go through the same nonesense that we all had to. It’s a completely different type of policing, so you’ll start again.

So, given that the only reason you fancy RMP is to access CivPol, that’s a really shite reason to join RMP.

My advice for what it’s worth, is to choose a military career path that you already have a general interest in. Don’t only think Army. There are other armed services or the RAF that offer very good career options, some of which may not be obvious to you, so do your research.

And as controversial as it may sound, if you’re able, get a commission. 10 years service to leave as a Capt is always going to sound better to a future employer than 10 years service and leave as a Cpl.

Good luck