Royal Military Police Corps or Royal Logistics Corps as an Officer??!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by pimpjuice, Oct 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys,

I am new to this site and thought id post a question so that i get an overview of what you think.

I am hoping to get into the army as an officer and have my AOSB Briefing in Jan and the 2 corps that interest me the most are the Royal Military Police and Royal Logistics Corps.

Now I have been hearing a lot of critisisms about the RMP and that all officers seem to be hated, which is obviously not what I want, because I want my men to value me as much as I would value them, after all ill be responsible for their entire life in the army.

Which would you recommend and why? Please make them constructive and let the person that would hopefully be responding have experience in one of them.

PS: Any other corps you would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

2. at the risk of a poorly constructed wah...my 2p worth

RMP are a decent bunch, however you won't actually get to do much policing - they don't trust the officers to do that.

The Really Large Corps is a big organisation with a bit of everything with plenty of variety. It has units all over the UK, germany and 2 Regts committed to Ops in Afg. I'm sure the naysayers will be along shortly with the usual bouts of derision - if you join the RLC you'll get used to it.

3. At the risk of seeming a bit harsh, I think you need to be more informed about the various aspects of both Corps from a more focussed arena, rather than asking us! The Army needs high calibre officers to lead their men and women in an ever demanding and dangerous field of combat, not really someone who doesnt want to join a Corps because they want to be "liked".

You need to speak to your recruitment office, and do a bit more research.

4. To be fair to him, he IS doing some research: on a forum where there may well be people with practical relevant experience of commissioned service in RLC / RMP: his recruitment office might not have either. So it's a reasonable start point at least...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Just feel that before starting a career as someone who will be responsible for other people, a little more forward thinking is in order, and any doubts or queries should be more than whether he will have lots and lots of friends. Just my own, if humble opinion

6. RMP Officers and hated, and RLC officers are despised.... whatever.

Life as an officer in the RMP / RLC fills some with despair and others with a lot of self-satisfaction. The only way you're going to get an inkling of your likely place in that spectrum is when you have the opportunity to visit one of their regiments and find out for yourself.

To be honest, while I recognise your enthusiasm, you needn't worry too much about which Regiment or Corps you might join at this stage. At this point the question is very much whether the Army wants you rather than where you could end up. With that in mind work hard to prepare for your AOSB briefing and board - the Regular Officer Recruiting forum is full of advice. Some good, some misleading, but all far more useful than the mix of half truths, BAOR reminiscences and banter that are dredged up when you ask for opinions about different regiments.

Get fit, read widely about the Army & current affairs, think hard about whether military life in general might be for you, and do your damndest to be a bright team player at Westbury. That'll be more than enough to be going on with until January.

Good luck.

7. Aim for what YOU want to do.

Leadership is a lonely role. You cannot expect to be both the boss and a regular drinking buddy. Officers get respect and are 'liked' for being good at their job and being human. The 'them and us' rank divide exists still and it needs to. However, repeated ops have changed it for the better in many cases.

The important bit is my first line. Do what YOU want to do. Other considerations are very much a secondary concern.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just like to say to the people that are saying that i shouldn't be asking people on here and that it's not about being liked.

As another member has pointed out, this is just one of the forms of research im doing, ive also got familiarisation visits etc..

In response to the being "liked" part...i do consider it to be important, not the most crucial factor but an important factor nonetheless...since it would determine my happiness in the corps, since my main duty is my soldiers and if they dont like me or respect what I do, then i think its a bit pointless being an officer (in my opinion).

I think what "ADSOL" said is reasonable and something ill need to think about!

9. You will be hard pushed to come across anyone on ARRSE either still serving or having served in the Royal Logistics Corps. If you come on a site asking for people to do your work for you, I suggest you get the basics right.

If you are looking for a career in logistics, can I suggest DHL?

If you think I am being pedantic, perhaps you're correct. All I would say is - first impressions count!

10. You really need to clear your head of any thoughts regarding "being liked". It isn't important.

11. RJM

RJM Swinger

I am not a soldier or an officer yet, but I am having a similar discussion with my Army Careers Advisor. Here is what he said, paraphrased(the guy swears like a trooper, no pun intended)

The Army RESPECT officers and RESPECT rank, you have to, you are trained to, doesnt mean that all soldiers LIKE officers. Aslong as you arent a dick and start thinking you can run a troop fresh out of sandhurst and listen and RESPECT your NCOs you will do fine.
    (he said something like, you run the fuckin reports,lieutenant I will run the fuckin troop. Which sums it up nicely I think)

Now for my personal imput:
    The Army is the biggest team going, you all gotta pull your weight, you all gotta help each other out. It is like any work place, if you work in an office and you dont do what you should so people have to go round picking up after you, people arent going to like it, and arent going to like you. If you think you are billy big bollocks that is better than everyone else, people arent going to like you, if you do your job fuckin well, and help people out who need it you will be liked and respected.

So you need to focus on what job you can do well, the respect will come with that.

All this is just my common sense talking, I have no experiance in this field, so feel free to ignore this or rip it apart. Just givin you some food for thought

12. Quote: Any other corps you would recommend?

Young man (hang on a minute, God forbid, you might be a woman... if you are, disregard this advice), I wouldn't recommend any Corps. Join a Regiment. If you really want to join the Army, why not be a soldier ie someone that closes with and kills the enemy? Why go to all that bother just to end up doing something you could do in Civvy Street where they will probably do it a lot better and for decent pay?

Your two choices are suspect:

The RMP - wasters. If you want to be a proper copper, join the filth.

And as for the RLC - well, why? It is largely populated by folk couldn't get a commission with the Regiment/Corps of their choice - it's not known as the Retards Last Chance for nothing.

Make something of yourself boy. Become a Soldier not a REMF/JAFFA/Civvy in uniform.

Good luck!

13. I'm ex RLC!!
    It does not matter what corps/regiment you go into, if your not liked then so be it. It all comes to your personality and leadership skills and how you show that to the troops under you.

14. While I won't attempt to address the "being liked" vs "being respected", perhaps I could make a couple of more general suggestions on the subject of choice of arm and reputations.

The Army is an extremely broad church, which includes officers of many different personalities types who are employed in a huge variety of different roles and jobs. The Army nurtures a competitive culture, meaning that the various different regiments, corps and arms can sometimes tend to behave like competing sports teams; thus you may hear generalisations being made about officers from one or other (such as the "all RMP officers are hated" line that you have evidently heard). While there is a standing joke in the Army about the RMP being hated by the rest of the Army, this stems from the RMP being responsible for dealing with soldiers who have been naughty, in reality people tend to judge individuals on their own merits (despite the stereotypes they may hold about the corps or regiment that person belongs to). You will forever here soldiers telling you that such and such a unit/corps are rubbish, oh except for the one person they know there who is a good bloke... In short don't listen to regimental/corps stereotype chat, because it is invariably bollocks. A bit like the oft peddled fallacy that officers are all poor map readers.

I am not the best person to advise on exactly what opportunities are available for officers in the RMP or RLC (I am not nor ever have a member of either), but I would say that there is potential for an interesting time in either corps. The RLC in particular probably offers more variety than any other part of the Army, anything from being a postman to being a bomb-disposal operator.

In terms of choice of role/corps/arm/etc, everybody has a view. Most will tell you that the part of the army that they are/were in is really the only good place to be and may give good (and less good) reasons why that is the case. Certain parts of the army might be considered more glamorous than others, but again this is hugely subjective and often depends on what is going on at the time (when I first commissioned, light role infantry was regarded as distinctly un-sexy, nowadays in the Afghanistan era, it has become perhaps the most glamorous place to be). You may well hear some teeth-arm/G3 snobbery, such as the comments above about joining the army to be a soldier versus joining the RLC, etc. However, be under no illusion, the infantry (et al) are not much use without logistic support (and military policing support). Bullets and rations do not just appear and I dread to think what the army would be like without anyone conducting the various functions the RMP is responsible for. So in summary, the RMP and RLC need keen and capable officers too, if you fancy either and have the aptitude then you should go for it.

15. A good post, B_C, save for one unutterably bizarre comment - since when has being light role infantry EVER been considered unsexy? :-D

• Like Like x 1