Royal medal query.

Spent a good part of the day watching the coverage from Normandy. What an astonishing generation those men came from.

I noticed Prince Charles in uniform with an array of medals that almost matched the spread you'd find on a septic corporal's dress uniform. Given that many of them are the sort of thing that gets given to royalty for being able to find their way downstairs unaided I wasn't really paying attention - but I'm sure that one of them was LSGC! Err, what? How the hell? Was he ever a ranker?

Spent a good part of the day watching the coverage from Normandy. What an astonishing generation those men came from.

I noticed Prince Charles in uniform with an array of medals that almost matched the spread you'd find on a septic corporal's dress uniform. Given that many of them are the sort of thing that gets given to royalty for being able to find their way downstairs unaided I wasn't really paying attention - but I'm sure that one of them was LSGC! Err, what? How the hell? Was he ever a ranker?
LS&GC became eligible for officers in 2016. Here’s the Queens:

I cannot see a LSGC. The various jubilee medals and some foreign decorations.

He is the heir to thrown, he can wear what the f*ck he wants, and if he isn’t entitled, by the stroke of a pen, that can change.

STOP BEING A KNOB ^~

Ah - didn't know that. I suspect the definition of 'Good Conduct' might have changed since I was in then! Thanks for the update.

And I guess if anybody's entitled to a LSGC Her Maj would rightly be at the front of the queue...

Last edited:
She has been shorted on clasps for her Army medal.

I could argue she has 8 years more service with the Army as she entered ATS in '45...

but I'd be wrong.

She actually has 11 years more service with the Army, as she was appointed Colonel-in-Chief of the Grenadier Guards in '42.

14350518-7102599-image-a-31_1559647833401.jpg

The heir to the throne the Order of the Bath (1) and several medals including what appeared to be Extraordinary Companion of the Order of Canada (2) the Queen's Coronation medal (3) the Silver Jubilee medal (4), a Diamond Jubilee medal (5) and the New Zealand forces decoration (6) Also seen was a medal for Long Service Good Conduct (7). He also wore two breast stars, for Order of the Garter (Knight) (8) and The Most Ancient and the Most Noble Order of the Thistle (Knight) (9) under his row of medals and ribbons

It's rather odd how many medals he wears given how much emphasis the Royals put on 'less is more'. And we all know who he is anyway.

And shouldn't the Queen have had a TD / VRSM by now? I bet her discharge paperwork is still stuck in some PSAO's in-out tray somewhere.

View attachment 397324

The heir to the throne the Order of the Bath (1) and several medals including what appeared to be Extraordinary Companion of the Order of Canada (2) the Queen's Coronation medal (3) the Silver Jubilee medal (4), a Diamond Jubilee medal (5) and the New Zealand forces decoration (6) Also seen was a medal for Long Service Good Conduct (7). He also wore two breast stars, for Order of the Garter (Knight) (8) and The Most Ancient and the Most Noble Order of the Thistle (Knight) (9) under his row of medals and ribbons
Charlie's is by some distance the second most impressive rack in that picture.

Charlie's is by some distance the second most impressive rack in that picture.
And I know what HRH was really thinking in terms of preferred evening wear for Melania.
Melania-Trump-01.jpg

And did anybody see the French Order of Agricultural Merit he was wearing around his neck at Bayeux?

We hand out honorary orders to foreign politicians and heads of state all the time, and in return they bestow theirs on our royals. The OAM is actually their second ranked order, behind Legion D'Honneur.

His UK and Commonwealth gongs will be permanent and as a matter of courtesy he will additionally throw up those from the country he is visiting or is visiting us. It's also not diplomatic to wear a decoration from a perceived enemy or rival. This means that the royals have multiple sets, and they might need to change several times. Gongs do not have the same significance for them, as apart from the campaign medals they are as much a diplomatic tool as anything else.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
It's rather odd how many medals he wears given how much emphasis the Royals put on 'less is more'. And we all know who he is anyway.
I suspect he doesn't get a lot of choice - particularly with the foreign medals.

If he's been give the 'Order of the Slightly Sullied Virgins, Third Class" by the Peoples Democratic Republic of Kleptomania, he might cause offence and a mini diplomatic incident if he's out and about and its not included in his rack.

Wordsmith