Royal Marines taking over Afghan duties

Royal Marines have begun taking over operations in part of Afghanistan, replacing 16 Air Assault Brigade, who are ending their six-month tour.

Troops from 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines, based in Devon and Arbroath, are part of a Nato force supporting the Afghan government in Helmand province.

They have begun their mission in the country by joining 16 Air Assault Brigade on joint patrols.

The phased handover to the Marines is taking place over several weeks. The newly arrived troops are expected to remain in the country for at least six months.

Mad_Moriarty said:
Royal Marines have begun taking over operations in part of Afghanistan, replacing 16 Air Assault Brigade, who are ending their six-month tour.

Troops from 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines, based in Devon and Arbroath, are part of a Nato force supporting the Afghan government in Helmand province.

They have begun their mission in the country by joining 16 Air Assault Brigade on joint patrols.

The phased handover to the Marines is taking place over several weeks. The newly arrived troops are expected to remain in the country for at least six months.
Jolly good.
Let's hope his Tonyness doesn't volunteer the country for another war that requires use of any sea-borne assests.

Oh, and the Argies behave.

"I never knew an appeal to them for honour, courage, or loyalty, that they did not more than justify my highest expectations....."

Good luck Royals

Edited to correct a small misquote

Mad_Moriarty said:

Don't the Commando brigade have their own FACs?

I know a bloke who's off to Afghanistan to act as an FAC for them, and it got me wondering.

I did say the Vikings didn't i.
I am Ex-hornhead and i wouldn't lie.

BBM

The marines are here???

I wondered why the place smells better now. I thought it was the sh1t pit but alas it was 16AAB!