Royal Marines taking over Afghan duties

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mad_Moriarty, Oct 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Royal Marines have begun taking over operations in part of Afghanistan, replacing 16 Air Assault Brigade, who are ending their six-month tour.

Troops from 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines, based in Devon and Arbroath, are part of a Nato force supporting the Afghan government in Helmand province.

They have begun their mission in the country by joining 16 Air Assault Brigade on joint patrols.

The phased handover to the Marines is taking place over several weeks. The newly arrived troops are expected to remain in the country for at least six months.

2. Jolly good.
    Let's hope his Tonyness doesn't volunteer the country for another war that requires use of any sea-borne assests.

Oh, and the Argies behave.

3. And NI doesn't kick off again

4. "I never knew an appeal to them for honour, courage, or loyalty, that they did not more than justify my highest expectations....."

Good luck Royals

Edited to correct a small misquote

5. Good luck Cabbagehats. Be safe

:) Give 'em Hell.

6. Don't the Commando brigade have their own FACs?

I know a bloke who's off to Afghanistan to act as an FAC for them, and it got me wondering.

7. The Royals have some big boots to fill - which I'm sure they will

8. Anyone know who is next after the Marines?

9. that'll be the TA again 8O

10. I know, but not telling on the open forum :wink:

11. oh, you must be hanging with the big kids yes? (I bet your spec-ops kits' gaffa-taped to fck isn't it?) :p :p

12. Yes.

13. -The Vikings. It's been well publicised.

14. CCF, ACT and the ATC will be doing air support in their gliders.

15. i think you will find it is the R.L.C. heard some big wig talking about it last week.