Royal Marines Seize Tanker

It would seem that the ship's Master is not best pleased at his treatment at the hands of Royal:

'The captain of a tanker seized for carrying Iranian oil has said Royal Marines used excessive force in detaining his ship.

Earlier this month, UK forces helped authorities in Gibraltar who believed the tanker was carrying oil to a Syrian refinery in breach of EU sanctions.

The captain said marines made his unarmed crew kneel on the deck at gunpoint.

Gibraltar police said "minimum force" was used to take control of the vessel. . . '

Marines used excessive force, says tanker captain

Though I think the good Captain (for a Master Mariner) is being a touch disingenuous:

'Asked whether he felt there was anything illegitimate about his ship or the cargo, he said he had "followed company procedures", adding he did not know about the EU sanctions against Syria.'

Riiight: as a Master Mariner of several years experience, you are completely unaware of current global embargos and sanctions?

I jolly well hope those booties will take themselves off and beast their arses with a stick of Southsea rock. The Iranian ship's captain is hardly going to say the Ayatollah is a twat, is he? :cool:

Sanctions is sanctions, basically, when a ship enters waters of that jurisdiction..
Gibraltar enforcing embargoes in Spanish Territorial waters? Isn't this type of conflict usually avoided? Or did the tanker decide to turn North passing Ceuta instead of carrying on West into Morrocan waters?

OllieReeder

War Hero
Gibraltar enforcing embargoes in Spanish Territorial waters? Isn't this type of conflict usually avoided? Or did the tanker decide to turn North passing Ceuta instead of carrying on West into Morrocan waters?
She was not in Spanish TTW - that was simply a twattish claim by Madrid, presumably based on their assertion that Gib is Spanish, therefore Gib TTW are Spanish TTW; a bit like the Iranians claiming that because the Gulf is the Persian Gulf for good reasons of historical nomenclature, they have hegemony over it. The Grace One was detained in Gib TTW, by the Royal Gibraltar Police - RM merely facilitated the safe boarding of the vessel by the plod.

And yes, the Spanish refuse to understand that by their logic, if Gib ought to be returned to them, then Ceuta and Melilla ought also to be handed back to Morocco. "Oh, they are completely different!"

Next they will be wanting back Texas.

She was not in Spanish TTW - that was simply a twattish claim by Madrid, presumably based on their assertion that Gib is Spanish, therefore Gib TTW are Spanish TTW; a bit like the Iranians claiming that because the Gulf is the Persian Gulf for good reasons of historical nomenclature, they have hegemony over it. The Grace One was detained in Gib TTW, by the Royal Gibraltar Police - RM merely facilitated the safe boarding of the vessel by the plod.

And yes, the Spanish refuse to understand that by their logic, if Gib ought to be returned to them, then Ceuta and Melilla ought also to be handed back to Morocco. "Oh, they are completely different!"

Next they will be wanting back Texas.
Gib's territorial waters are huge compared to Gib itself, but only extend half-way to Ceuta.

No way for the Captain to sail through "ineffectual and small" Gibraltar's TTW, to avoid "big" Spanish TTW (as Ceuta extends this even further east than Gib's), so why would the tanker be taken further North than need be on an already long trip?

D

Deleted 60082

I won’t get into this argument (my learned colleague has provided a comprehensive answer, above). I spent the better part of four years steering, diplomatically, contested waters between two well-known countries that are always a gnat’s cock away from twatting each other over their interpretations of a series of treaties going back well over 100 years. Two countries that just love to drag third parties into their arguments to support their respective positions. And then I would have to investigate alleged airspace or maritime violations and suck up some diplomatic abuse and be placed on the MFA naughty step because Air Command (and occasionally Navy Command) thought they knew better.

D

Deleted 60082

Oh, by the way this is my last post. I’m closing my account down after about 10 years. I don’t have the energy to fight stupid all the time; my medical conditions are not improving and I found myself reading posts at 0200. Not healthy.

Insh’allah, I will enjoy my large pension, enjoy my consulting (when I’m up to it) and take pleasure from writing papers on intelligence-based campaigns. I won’t miss twattish islamaphobes and racists like @RoyalGreenJacket who trigger at the mention of Islam or Muslim. I will miss @stacker1 and his contributions (he’s either softened or I have, as increasingly I agree with his comments). Iyi kurban Bayramlar.

Oh, by the way this is my last post. I’m closing my account down after about 10 years. I don’t have the energy to fight stupid all the time; my medical conditions are not improving and I found myself reading posts at 0200. Not healthy.

Insh’allah, I will enjoy my large pension, enjoy my consulting (when I’m up to it) and take pleasure from writing papers on intelligence-based campaigns. I won’t miss twattish islamaphobes and racists like @RoyalGreenJacket who trigger at the mention of Islam or Muslim. I will miss @stacker1 and his contributions (he’s either softened or I have, as increasingly I agree with his comments). Iyi kurban Bayramlar.
Enjoy.

Good luck Crash

OllieReeder

War Hero
Gib's territorial waters are huge compared to Gib itself, but only extend half-way to Ceuta.

No way for the Captain to sail through "ineffectual and small" Gibraltar's TTW, to avoid "big" Spanish TTW (as Ceuta extends this even further east than Gib's), so why would the tanker be taken further North than need be on an already long trip?
I am not saying that the vessel did or did not pass through genuine Spanish TTW - I have not taken enough interest in her previous track to comment - but she was definitely detained in Gib TTW, where I believe she had hove to for her own reasons - crew out of nutty, whatever. A decision which the Iranians doubtless regret bitterly.

OllieReeder

War Hero
They didnt last time, most of the ship borne troops involved went on to become army regiments
I believe Mr Clampers is referring to the much more recent incident when an RM landing craft became navigationally confused and Royal stormed ashore onto the wrong beach, near, but not in, Gibraltar.

Hilarity inevitably ensued.

Fifteen, twenty years ago?

EDIT - have just checked: it was 2002. I happen to know one of the culprits...

Last edited:
I am not saying that the vessel did or did not pass through genuine Spanish TTW - I have not taken enough interest in her previous track to comment - but she was definitely detained in Gib TTW, where I believe she had hove to for her own reasons - crew out of nutty, whatever. A decision which the Iranians doubtless regret bitterly.
Perhaps they received invitations from scantily-dressed 'maidens' to a beach party and hove-to in much anticipation?

ugly

LE
I believe Mr Clampers is referring to the much more recent incident when an RM landing craft became navigationally confused and Royal stormed ashore onto the wrong beach, near, but not in, Gibraltar.

Hilarity inevitably ensued.

Fifteen, twenty years ago?

EDIT - have just checked: it was 2002. I happen to know one of the culprits...
Yup noticed, I usually assume last time was 1702 ish year not hours!
Mainly because we tend to hang onto bits we like

Not the booties I knew
Well, when you've been trapped onboard for a couple of weeks, and your next camel-ride is more weeks away, any port in a storm and all that...

Latest Threads