Royal Marines Seize Tanker

The tanker was over the Suezmax scaling so had to go round the horn.

To expand on it however, PanaMax and SuezMax are terms used in NavArch to describe vessels designed to be of a size to get the maximum displacement, dimensions and cargo capacity while still fitting through the waterways described. So, Panama and Suez Canals.

Anything bigger often gets called Capesize, meaning it has to transit around one of the two capes.
Question answered before I asked

Did the tanker take the long route round horn of Africa?

Thanks

Maybe I am thick too but in the first para:

"a violation of European Union sanctions against Syria."

Perhaps you didn't open the article?
And which of Panama, Singapore and Iran are in the EU?

I was going for a Kenneth joke but got distracted by food and didn't finish it.

" Oh, Allo mr Orn,, I'm Julian and this is my friend sandy, how nice to vada your jolly old eek, were with Bona shipping if you want anything up your canal, no size limit is there sandy?" "Oh no Mr Orn, the bigger the better, I mean the Suez and panama take all sizes, don't they Jools?" " Oh yes, its true what he said Mr Orn, some of our friends like big ones don't they sandy, and up their canals," Thank you gentlemen, what I need is some oil shipped discreetly to a foriegn power that has been put under an embargo, could you help me?"..." Well Mr orn, I mean what sort of oil, there's Vaseline and KY jelly oil"
" no gentlemen, you misunderstand, I want to ship 10,000,000 gallons of crude, through the back door" "Oh mr orn, crude we do, don't we jools, good at crude, especially up canals, and by the back door, its what we do best, and we have our own flag of convenience don't we san" "That's right Mr Orn raindow colour it is, very bona"
" Well thank you gentlemen, that's all very enlightening, how fast could you get it up the canal?"
"Oh Jools, isn't he bold, he wants it right away, and up the canal, how can we both refuse"

Written in the style of the original scripts of 50+ years ago, so you PC knobs,........... back off!

Round the horn, starring Kenneth horn, Kenneth Williams, Betty Marsden, Hugh Paddick, Bill Pertwee and Douglas smith with the The Fraser Hayes 4.. Broadcast from 1965-68.

Last edited:

endure

GCM
Round the Horn?

That's a bloody long detour.
Round the Cape of Good Hope not Cape Horn.

My first trip to sea in 1975 was on the British Progress (225,000 dwt) built in 1973 specifically to go round the Cape of Good Hope as Suez had been shut since 1967. She had a fully laden draft of 64 feet which meant she just about managed to get through the Channel into northern Europe.

Given that the oil crisis was in full swing and we were slow steaming at 9 knots it took 56-58 days from the Gulf to Europe, 2 days alongside in some godforsaken oil terminal and 56 days back again.

The only relief we got was a helicopter out from Cape Town with fresh stores and the mail.

Suez re-opened in 1975 but she was far too big to transit so was scrapped in 1985.

Lovely ship - big steamer - no bloody clanking all the time.

" Oh, Allo mr Orn, I'm Julian and this is my friend sandy, were with Bona shipping if you want anything up your canal, no size limit is there sandy?" "Oh no Mr orn, the bigger the better I mean the Suez and panama take all sizes, don't they Jools?" " Oh yes, its true what he said Mr Orn, some of our friends like big ones don't they sandy, and up their canals," Thank you gentlemen, what I need is some oil shipped discreetly to a foriegn power that has been put under an embargo, could you help me?"..." Well Mr orn, I mean what sort of oil, there's Vaseline and KY jelly oil"
" no gentlemen, you misunderstand, I want to ship 10,000,000 gallons of crude, through the back door" "Oh mr orn, crude we do, don't we jools, good at crude, especially up canals, and by the back door, its what we do best, and we have our own flag of convenience don't we sandy" "That's right Mr Orn raindow colour it is, very bona"
" Well thank you gentlemen, that's all very enlightening, how fast could you get it up the canal?"
"Oh Jools, isn't he bold, he wants it right away, and up the canal, how can we both refuse"

Written in the style of the original scripts of 50+ years ago, so you PC knobs,........... back off!
See I knew there was one, though I didn't put as much thought as that into it.
Have a 'bloody well done', rather than a poxy thumbs up likey thing.

NSP

LE
Round the Cape of Good Hope not Cape Horn.

My first trip to sea in 1975 was on the British Progress (225,000 dwt) built in 1973 specifically to go round the Cape of Good Hope as Suez had been shut since 1967. She had a fully laden draft of 64 feet which meant she just about managed to get through the Channel into northern Europe.

Given that the oil crisis was in full swing and we were slow steaming at 9 knots it took 56-58 days from the Gulf to Europe, 2 days alongside in some godforsaken oil terminal and 56 days back again.

The only relief we got was a helicopter out from Cape Town with fresh stores and the mail.

Suez re-opened in 1975 but she was far too big to transit so was scrapped in 1985.

Lovely ship - big steamer - no bloody clanking all the time.
This 'un...?

Photo credited as taken in 2013. Listed as "decommissioned or lost" on MarineTraffic, though.

NSP

LE
No that's her successor built in 2000ish which is still knocking around as MV Ridgebury Progress. This is mine

View attachment 402209
Interesting. MarineTraffic has mine down as built 1973. I suppose some duffer could have posted the wrong pic. Tsk!! That'd never happen on here!!

endure

GCM
Interesting. MarineTraffic has mine down as built 1973. I suppose some duffer could have posted the wrong pic. Tsk!! That'd never happen on here!!

There have been 4 British Progresses altogether. BP like re-using names. It's cheaper and they're easier to remember ;-)

" Oh, Allo mr Orn, I'm Julian and this is my friend sandy, were with Bona shipping if you want anything up your canal, no size limit is there sandy?" "Oh no Mr orn, the bigger the better I mean the Suez and panama take all sizes, don't they Jools?" " Oh yes, its true what he said Mr Orn, some of our friends like big ones don't they sandy, and up their canals," Thank you gentlemen, what I need is some oil shipped discreetly to a foriegn power that has been put under an embargo, could you help me?"..." Well Mr orn, I mean what sort of oil, there's Vaseline and KY jelly oil"
" no gentlemen, you misunderstand, I want to ship 10,000,000 gallons of crude, through the back door" "Oh mr orn, crude we do, don't we jools, good at crude, especially up canals, and by the back door, its what we do best, and we have our own flag of convenience don't we sandy" "That's right Mr Orn raindow colour it is, very bona"

Round the horn, starring Kenneth horn, Kenneth Williams, Betty Marsden, Hugh Paddick, Bill Pertwee and Douglas smith with the The Fraser Hayes 4.. Broadcast from 1965-68.
Cheers mucker! Perfect comedic timing there :)

Yokel

LE
It has been suggested on Twitter that the Wildcat HMA2 was from RFA Tidesurge. Having what might be considered pre positioned assets (apart from the Marines who were flown out), able to respond at short notice, to a wide range of tasks.

Imagine the extra problems that would have been caused if helicopters had to be flown out.

Latest Threads