Royal Marines recreate the Iwo Jima flag raising!!

Here's a good one, Somebody forgot to tell the boys it was only four US Marines in the original photo not 16 odd!!

reminds me of something else to be honest.................

is that forty cdo or four zero cdo then ? ...................

now retiring to safe distance (quickly).............. :D :D :D :D muhahaha (demonic laugh!)

40(forty cdo rm)---a coy(the saints)----Madness, looks like a monks chain(see 3para mortars/45(four five cdo)--say no more!

stop takin the piss out of tha royl marins that who i want 2 joyn

No fecking chance you little smart arrsed cnut

Thats alpha coy, 40, if it hasn't already been pointed out

i thought the saints was the nickname of the rhodesian light infantry did 40 cdo have a large influx of rhodeis in the early 80's

Saints might well be nickname of RLI but as far as I know Ian Charteris was the favourite author of some previous OC. ( Charteris wrote the Saint books). No influx of Rhodeis in early eighties but I did have a Tp Cdr in '82 but he was the only one. I stand corrected on this!

Can't make up my my mind if they're putting it up, taking it down or stealing the fcuker

What ever happened to the US Marines in that Famous photo?

Mike Strank
b. 1919 Jarabenia, Czechoslovakia.
d. 1945 Iwo Jima, Japan.

Strank died on March 1, 1945. He was hit by a mortar as he was diagramming a plan in the sand for his boys.

Harlon Block
b. 1924 Yorktown, Texas.
d. 1945 Iwo Jima, Japan.

Harlon was killed by a mortar blast hours later on March 1 at the age of 21.

Franklin Sousley
b. Sept. 19, 1925 Hilltop, KY.
d. March 21, 1945 Iwo Jima, Japan.

Franklin was the last flag-raiser to die on Iwo Jima, on March 21 at the age of 19.

Ira Hayes
b. January 12, 1923 Sacaton, Arizona
d. January 24, 1955 Bapchule, Arizona

When Ira learned that President Roosevelt wanted him and the other survivors to come back to the US to raise money on the 7th Bond Tour, he was horrified. To Ira, the heroes of Iwo Jima, those deserving honor, were his "good buddies" who died there.

At the White House, President Truman told Ira, "You are an American hero." But Ira didn't feel pride. As he later lamented, "How could I feel like a hero when only five men in my platoon of 45 survived, when only 27 men in my company of 250 managed to escape death or injury?"

Rene Gagnon
b. Manchester, N.H. March 7, 1925
d. Manchester, N.H. October 12, 1979

Rene Gagnon was the youngest survivor and the man who carried the flag up Mt. Suribachi. He was the first survivor to arrive back in the US.

John Bradley
b. July 10, 1923 Antigo, WI.
d. January 11, 1994 Antigo, WI.

"Doc" Bradley was a Navy Corpsman who "just jumped in to lend a hand." He won the Navy Cross for heroism and was wounded in both legs.