Royal Marines Gucci Rebrand

I like the 'dilemmas to adversaries' bit:

"If James gets on a train at at 1530 hrs York which travels to london at 80mph and Susan departs London for York at 1647 hrs travelling at 56 mph, how long will it take until they pass each other? You've got 15 seconds or i'll shoot you!"

A thinking man's unit, clearly.

Published by: MOD/Royal Marines, on 12 August 2020.

Royal Marines Commandos Win Fight To Keep Ranking System.

The elite unit was unhappy with a draft decision to use the same ranks as the Navy.

Royal Marines commandos have won their fight to keep their longstanding ranks.

The elite unit was unhappy with the decision - drafted last year - to give them the same ranking system as the Royal Navy in a move to further integrate the force.

While the Royal Marines are part of the Navy, they are seen as a distinct unit with a unique identity.
The U-turn means the Marines will continue to use the same ranks as the British Army.

Major General Matthew Holmes, the Commandant General of the Royal Marines, told The Sun it had been an “emotive” issue.

"The First Sea Lord recognises our distinct identity. It’s who we are and what drives our fighting power and spirit," he said.

However, Royal Marines will start wearing a new uniform later this year as part of the Future Commando Force programme - designed to overhaul the way they operate.

The Royal Navy says it is the most significant transformation and rebranding programme since the Second World War.

1597409815440.png

Copied to the "All Internet Videos/News" thread.

Why did't they choose to use RAF ranks...plan now makes them akin to RAF Regt. Small dets as point guards and the odd foray in Coy strength. RIP 3 Cdo Bde as an operational formation. It was one of our strengths...European NATO now just the Dutch to have a real unit,...but now they're buggered due to lift reliance on RN...who are binning that. RN are getting rid of a capability, absorbing, rebranding for service budget reasons. :-(

Why did't they choose to use RAF ranks...plan now makes them akin to RAF Regt. Small dets as point guards and the odd foray in Coy strength. RIP 3 Cdo Bde as an operational formation. It was one of our strengths...European NATO now just the Dutch to have a real unit,...but now they're buggered due to lift reliance on RN...who are binning that. RN are getting rid of a capability, absorbing, rebranding for service budget reasons. :-(
Yes but they will all have C8's and gucci new Crye Uniforms each including strides that cost £250 a pair. Something has to go to pay for all that. Probably cut to about 2000 men and end up something akin to the French Fusiler Marine.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer

QRK2

LE
Yes but they will all have C8's and gucci new Crye Uniforms each including strides that cost £250 a pair. Something has to go to pay for all that. Probably cut to about 2000 men and end up something akin to the French Fusiler Marine.
More like akin to the Commandos Marine, which isn't a particularly bad look.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It might be if RM want to be useful. The FCF is a big change and will make RM quasi-SOF, but its not obvious what military problem it's trying to solve.

Last edited:
That is what I meant. I know that they have 5 different commando groups and Commando Hubert SF Divers (and sinker of Greenpeace boats) who wear the green beret in the British style due to their wartime links with 4 Commando. But they also have others with blue berets who are Naval Infantry who do the ships detatchments and guard naval bases. I thought they were all part of the Fusiler Marine organisation?

QRK2

LE
That is what I meant. I know that they have 5 different commando groups and Commando Hubert SF Divers (and sinker of Greenpeace boats) who wear the green beret in the British style due to their wartime links with 4 Commando. But they also have others with blue berets who are Naval Infantry who do the ships detatchments and guard naval bases. I thought they were all part of the Fusiler Marine organisation?
AIUI they both come under FORFUSCO but are not the same.

It is if you want to be useful. The FCF is a big change and will create a quasi-SOF force, but its not obvious what problem it's trying to solve.
Yes but cool new uniforms and ‘re branding’

but its not obvious what military problem it's trying to solve.
To stop Nick Carter whinging that the RN are running an Infantry Bde...

Nick Carter destroying support arms since he commissione.
Perhaps that's why he likes the AR so much - having been dismissed there by his Regiment as a Captain...

Latest Threads