Royal Marines Gucci Rebrand

Greenfly

Old-Salt
Aye the jokes are flowing over on OAMAAM.

It seems that the thinking is you have the initial 4 weeks of ROP (replacement for the PRMC) prior to forming up as a recruit troop. Then prior to posting they’ll run them through an extra six weeks of Sigs, SERE, further weapon training and a drives course totalling 42 weeks before you hut your unit.
ROP has already commenced and the thinking is it will ease them in by working on basic skills/drills and phys. The attrition rate is similar to PRMC with poor Phys prep and poor attitudes being the main reason for binning. They wear those little summer caps and lumi tabs when cutting about, I think Para joes wear them too? Little soft MTP baseball cap. At the end of ROP, they will be tested physically on a Commando Aptitude Assessment – which will incorporate greater levels of phys with PTI led circuits, determination tests and mental resilience. They say the ROP will reduce the ‘shock of capture’ experienced on arrival at CTCRM as a nod and better prepare them for mainstream Recruit Training and warm them up to reduce the likelihood of Musculoskeletal injuries that plague the early weeks.
As for SERE at the end. I have heard various dits about this but how true it is I don't know. My understanding is that it’s definitely not your level C SF package. It will be level B which is aimed at those personnel deemed as medium risk on the PTCE list, and comprises of enhanced theoretical and practical training training but no practical resistance training. No one is getting bagged and tagged. It’ll be lessons on covert emergency locator beacons and basic survival drills.

To be honest I don’t think they need to fiddle too much with recruit training. They could change the structure and take out unnecessary parts (i.e drill afternoons) and replace that with extra weapons training etc. But all in all good dit’s.

ugly

LE
further weapon training and a drives course totalling 42 weeks before you hut your unit.
Similar to IJLB in the late 70’s/early 80’s. in addition trained solders still under 17 & 1/2 would spend time at regimental depots until old enough.
Often as demo section etc!

Aye the jokes are flowing over on OAMAAM.

It seems that the thinking is you have the initial 4 weeks of ROP (replacement for the PRMC) prior to forming up as a recruit troop. Then prior to posting they’ll run them through an extra six weeks of Sigs, SERE, further weapon training and a drives course totalling 42 weeks before you hut your unit.
ROP has already commenced and the thinking is it will ease them in by working on basic skills/drills and phys. The attrition rate is similar to PRMC with poor Phys prep and poor attitudes being the main reason for binning. They wear those little summer caps and lumi tabs when cutting about, I think Para joes wear them too? Little soft MTP baseball cap. At the end of ROP, they will be tested physically on a Commando Aptitude Assessment – which will incorporate greater levels of phys with PTI led circuits, determination tests and mental resilience. They say the ROP will reduce the ‘shock of capture’ experienced on arrival at CTCRM as a nod and better prepare them for mainstream Recruit Training and warm them up to reduce the likelihood of Musculoskeletal injuries that plague the early weeks.
As for SERE at the end. I have heard various dits about this but how true it is I don't know. My understanding is that it’s definitely not your level C SF package. It will be level B which is aimed at those personnel deemed as medium risk on the PTCE list, and comprises of enhanced theoretical and practical training training but no practical resistance training. No one is getting bagged and tagged. It’ll be lessons on covert emergency locator beacons and basic survival drills.

To be honest I don’t think they need to fiddle too much with recruit training. They could change the structure and take out unnecessary parts (i.e drill afternoons) and replace that with extra weapons training etc. But all in all good dit’s.
From speaking to experienced RM SNCOs I've previously worked with, there is a little bit of a fear that some of the training teams might be responsible for "creeping excellence". Without casting aspersions on good people doing their best, it might be that without the tempering of HERRICK and TELIC to concentrate on what is really important, beastings and "harder in my day" attitudes might be proliferating.

From speaking to experienced RM SNCOs I've previously worked with, there is a little bit of a fear that some of the training teams might be responsible for "creeping excellence". Without casting aspersions on good people doing their best, it might be that without the tempering of HERRICK and TELIC to concentrate on what is really important, beastings and "harder in my day" attitudes might be proliferating.
I have been told that my old lot have used the time since the end of Iraq/ Afghan wisely. A reversion to their two favourite things, PT and bulls**t.

Not sure if it's been covered but exactly what is the point of the new uniform / camouflage pattern? Was there some sort of critical failing of mtp or pcs (other than the ability to iron creases in the shirt sleeves which I thought was rectified.)?

Not sure if it's been covered but exactly what is the point of the new uniform / camouflage pattern? Was there some sort of critical failing of mtp or pcs (other than the ability to iron creases in the shirt sleeves which I thought was rectified.)?
Classic salesmanship.

MTP is so last season.

A new, improved paint splodge colour is the latest thing to be (not) seen in.

It's part of the plan to rebrand MTP as 'ally' in the way that 58 Pattern belts seemed to be.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I demand the Para reg get a rebrand as well,

I want personal rail guns , sturgamite body armour and jet powered Desi boots.
It's part of the blan to rebrand MTP as 'ally' in the way that 58 Pattern belts seemed to be.

Seemed? You mean to say they aren't any more?

In the army fashion stakes, anything of limited availability becomes ally.

Whether this is due to it being issued to special people or even withdrawn from service matters not.

If the special ones were issued DPM, guess what the wannabes would clamour to wear?

I recall the DPM 'jap hat' being the most hated bit of kit, right up until some MLs/ Recce started wearing them in Norway, instead of the 'deputy dawg' hat.

Best thing since sliced bread after that.

Seemed? You mean to say they aren't any more?
Can't speak for now as I've been out for 7.5 years. But it always made me smile when I saw the youngsters cutting about wearing them, when they were probably in Infant School when 58 Pattern was withdrawn!!

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Can't speak for now as I've been out for 7.5 years. But it always made me smile when I saw the youngsters cutting about wearing them, when they were probably in Infant School when 58 Pattern was withdrawn!!
I'm old and sad and on the very rare occasions I wear MTP, I hold the trousers up around my svelte, slender waist[1] with the '58 pattern belt I was issued in 1989 (in a different attempt at part-time service).

These days we get (a) told to wear Action Working Dress - the blue rig - instead, and (b) can sometimes actually get issued AWD. For some reason, for while it was easier for RNR to get MTP combats than Navy rig...

[1] Yeah, right...

For some reason, for while it was easier for RNR to get MTP combats than Navy rig...
Maybe because there’s more of it about?

Are the RNR still cutting about in 4’s? I thought you’d all be in RNPCS by now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Maybe because there’s more of it about?

Are the RNR still cutting about in 4’s? I thought you’d all be in RNPCS by now?
We're meant to be in RNPCS for jobs that need it, like a few weeks on ship. Trying to get it can be... an interesting exercise in frustration, at least if last year's theatre was representative. (Or it might have been Nelson stores being their usual can't-do won't-do selves) My XO managed to sort me out through devious back channels, but I was lucky - I can easily see where others might have simply bounced off the brick wall of "storeman says no".

(If push had come to shove I'd have turned up in MTP and muttered about how it was because I was "extra special"... but it didn't come to that)

(Or it might have been Nelson stores being their usual can't-do won't-do selves)
Yeaaah, they’re not the most helpful bunch (even to us SA’s)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So there's not some sort of catastrophic failing with MTP or the PCS itself they're rectifying,
PCS is pretty flimsy and doesn't last long in the field. I suspect this is really about looking good and getting the RM branding sorted rather than a genuine feeling that PCS is inadequate.

Latest Threads