Royal Marines Gucci Rebrand

Greenfly

Old-Salt
SFSG cadre will now run twice a year under FCF. Now 9 week cadre at St Athans & will once again be open to GD mne. Clearly the rotations of the coys will grow a hefty talent pool to go play support group more often.

I was SFSG only a few years ago and the tempo is still pretty unforgiving despite the draw down of herrick, I was surprised by just how much was going on. Busiest draft I have ever had by far. I can only see the size of the unit increasing to be honest to keep up with demands and open up more deployments.

More opportunities to load onto basic para too apparently or so we are being told outside of recce, ML, 30 and SFSG

Remember perce, Jumping out of a plane is the be all and end all to being a Para. To a Bootneck, it's just another AdQual. Coat, taxi

Last edited:
Proving that replacing service personnel with civilians hollows out your force rendering causing issues when needed.
To a degree. However, hollowing out training at class 3, 1 and modular level to the absolute minimum, then posting people so often that they never get the chance to build up expert level experience, is more likely to undermine your capability.

I can give you a good example of what I mean. For the last three exercises we have conducted with HQ ARRC, they have had CIS support from three different units, 16SR, 21SR and 22SR. At least one of these, 22SR, was not involved in any of the preceding tech meetings and was tasked at pretty short notice. How on earth can these people expect to have any personal or corporate expert level knowledge of the requirement? Strangely, their collective necks have been rescued by a small team of civvy contractors who seem to be available for all these event series and know what they are about. The soldiers (Forget the officers, apart from the ex-FofS CO of one particular regiment) build up experience for 5-8 weeks that they will never be called on to utilise again and it disappears down the earth spike.

SFSG cadre will now run twice a year under FCF. Now 9 week cadre at St Athans & will once again be open to GD mne. Clearly the rotations of the coys will grow a hefty talent pool to go play support group more often.

I was SFSG only a few years ago and the tempo is still pretty unforgiving despite the draw down of herrick, I was surprised by just how much was going on. Busiest draft I have ever had by far. I can only see the size of the unit increasing to be honest to keep up with demands and open up more deployments.

More opportunities to load onto basic para too apparently or so we are being told outside of recce, ML, 30 and SFSG

Remember perce, Jumping out of a plane is the be all and end all to being a Para. To a Bootneck, it's just another AdQual. Coat, taxi
Given the RM don't own the Defence Authority to Parachute policy, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I doubt it as Para Regiment recruits are passing out without their wings having only done 5 jumps at Brize due to the backlog created with the drawdown of the C130 fleet and problems created with clearing the A400 for static line parachuting. The other 3 have to be completed in battalion.

Outside of the units you mention I doubt that there will be more places on Basic Parachute Courses allocated to the Royal Marines.

riksavage

Old-Salt
If you believe the Times article today, Cummings is about to take a blow touch to defence. Including the following:

“The Royal Marines commando brigade would be disbanded, losing its artillery, engineers and landing craft. Royal Navy minesweepers would also face the axe“

I hope the Gucci kit order comes with the caveat; can be returned to supplier if not worn!

Also: C130’s and Pumas to go. Good job A400s have been cleared for Para drops (French versions).

Last edited:

riksavage

Old-Salt
So what will SF use. Will they get MC130's ?
Better ask Cummings, he’s the resident expert on everything from social distancing to CASD! If you believe the Times he ripped the service chiefs a new one at the last meeting. Cummings appears obsessed with AI, cyber and Space.

Better ask Cummings, he’s the resident expert on everything from social distancing to CASD! If you believe the Times he ripped the service chiefs a new one at the last meeting. Cummings appears obsessed with AI, cyber and Space.
He appears to be the new PM. Just nobody elected him.

“The Royal Marines commando brigade would be disbanded, losing its artillery, engineers
If the FCF qre going to be a light raiding / ship security force - then that makes sense - although better it doesnt get scrapped so much as reallocated - (at the expense of LI) to land thus retaining 6 brigades

If you believe the Times article today, Cummings is about to take a blow touch to defence. Including the following:

“The Royal Marines commando brigade would be disbanded, losing its artillery, engineers and landing craft. Royal Navy minesweepers would also face the axe“

I hope the Gucci kit order comes with the caveat; can be returned to supplier if not worn!

Also: C130’s and Pumas to go. Good job A400s have been cleared for Para drops (French versions).
I can’t speak to the rest, but losing landing craft, artillery and engineers is one way to read FCF - they’re not present as you’d “traditionally” expect.

Oh, and the MCMs have already been identified for “AI”in or remoting. Again, not surprised.

Thanks, quite a short article with the headliners you mention, plus Comdr StratCom allegedly ‘shot down in flames’:
Cummings held a “getting-to-know-you” exercise with the service chiefs last month, when sources say the “personal chemistry” was “ a disaster”.

General Sir Patrick Sanders, who as Commander of Strategic Command is in charge of all the MoD’s special forces and intelligence units, “boasted” about his work on cyber-warfare but a source present said Cummings “shot him down in flames” leaving Sanders “humiliated”. No 10 disputes this.

Army down to 55,000 with the money spent on AI, Cyber and space. No. 10 apparently doesn’t recognise the accounts of the meeting, keeping 2% of GDP and 0.5% above inflation increase:
A No 10 spokesman said: “It is false to say No 10 plans to cut defence. We will fulfil our manifesto commitments, including to increase the defence budget above inflation. We do not recognise the accounts of the alleged meetings.”

Classic flying a kite; Cummings clearly lost the argument, so has run squealing to the Sunday press. What he doesn't seem to understand is that he cannot fight everyone at once.

Personally I think he has a point regarding Whitehall in general and specifically the MoD.

I'm agnostic.

But Cummings doesn't actually have a great track record at the moment in actually doing hard things well.

Thanks, quite a short article with the headliners you mention, plus Comdr StratCom allegedly ‘shot down in flames’:
Cummings held a “getting-to-know-you” exercise with the service chiefs last month, when sources say the “personal chemistry” was “ a disaster”.

General Sir Patrick Sanders, who as Commander of Strategic Command is in charge of all the MoD’s special forces and intelligence units, “boasted” about his work on cyber-warfare but a source present said Cummings “shot him down in flames” leaving Sanders “humiliated”. No 10 disputes this.

Army down to 55,000 with the money spent on AI, Cyber and space. No. 10 apparently doesn’t recognise the accounts of the meeting, keeping 2% of GDP and 0.5% above inflation increase:
A No 10 spokesman said: “It is false to say No 10 plans to cut defence. We will fulfil our manifesto commitments, including to increase the defence budget above inflation. We do not recognise the accounts of the alleged meetings.”
I doubt that Gen Sanders was in the slightest bit ruffled by Dominic Cummings...

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I don't know about the meeting, but I can categorically say that the Army's Integrated Review plans are still being worked out and are quite a long way from being ready, so any article that has a troop number or any other firm plans in it is a lie.

I'm agnostic.

But Cummings doesn't actually have a great track record at the moment in actually doing hard things well.
Cummings mistakes decision-making with implementation. He's good at forcing a decision, but does not understand that (a) that the detail matters and (b) that you cannot constantly cast your eye over a problem and then walk away from it, abdicating all responsibility for the outcome.

Latest Threads