Royal Marines Gucci Rebrand

Interesting in all this business, that the UK seemes to have halved the number of deployable fully formed light brigades that include integral guns, engr, sigs and log. I appreciate that the wider brigade units remain (for now at least) but the brigade seems to have moved permanently away from fighting at formation and probably BG level.

Interesting in all this business, that the UK seemes to have halved the number of deployable fully formed light brigades that include integral guns, engr, sigs and log. I appreciate that the wider brigade units remain (for now at least) but the brigade seems to have moved permanently away from fighting at formation and probably BG level.
Is this the effective merger of 7 and 11 Bdes?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I can tell you that these units are currently trialling new kit and equipment and trialling working in these smaller teams, as well as conducting training which is more along the lines of raids and strike ops. Whilst the future aim is often labelled as a 'littoral strike' role, the corps will certainly not be limited to this area.
This is where the risk comes in to FCF I think. It's not clear that they're actually going to be asked to do small team raids or strike ops in the future even if they train for it. There aren't many that need doing and there are a couple of other units that are pretty good at strike ops already.

I suspect the future probably looks like a lot of STTTs unfortunately.

This is where the risk comes in to FCF I think. It's not clear that they're actually going to be asked to do small team raids or strike ops in the future even if they train for it. There aren't many that need doing and there are a couple of other units that are pretty good at strike ops already.

I suspect the future probably looks like a lot of STTTs unfortunately.
The RM would prefer it if you call them SALT and MLATs. That way only a Commando could do it.

Slime

LE
Mid-1980s, when you declared that "Hawk/Jaguar replacement" was somehow mangled into an air-superiority fighter to stop the RAF buying F-15As.

You know the time, back when the proposals looked like this:-
View attachment 486761

Clearly, nothing like the operational aircraft - you can see how the project had to be transformed.

Remember when this sleek, svelte, agile little beauty was going to be the USAF's new Advanced Tactical Fighter?
View attachment 486762

Funny how projects change from early proposals, to "what actually works", isn't it? Or the way this:-
View attachment 486763

was originally meant to look like this:-
View attachment 486764

Now, go and try to actually read some of your references, rather than just colouring in the pictures.
As a little story.
The most impressive air display I ever saw was from the EAP over Filton.

Not only was the aircraft VERY manoeuvrable, but it was still very manoeuvrable at very low speeds, so perfect for getting into a prolonged turning fight.
At the time I remember thinking that what some Phantom pilots were ‘masters’ in at low speed seemed like childs play for the EAP.

Another aspect of the ‘show’ was just how low the aircraft got while also turning very rapidly. At a conventional air show the altitude would have been seen as a near miss or error.

integral guns, engr, sigs and log
There are none or few of those assets to support a light Bde and apart from that there aren't any fully configured light Bdes just hollow 'ghost' formations, it is all a massive con but we still increased the number of Divisions and no doubt will continue to do so.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There are none or few of those assets to support a light Bde and apart from that there aren't any fully configured light Bdes just hollow 'ghost' formations, it is all a massive con but we still increased the number of Divisions and no doubt will continue to do so.
Three divisions, two MBT regiments at the moment I think.

As a little story.

Not only was the aircraft VERY manoeuvrable, but it was still very manoeuvrable at very low speeds, so perfect for getting into a prolonged turning fight.
At the time I remember thinking that what some Phantom pilots were ‘masters’ in at low speed seemed like childs play for the EAP.

Another aspect of the ‘show’ was just how low the aircraft got while also turning very rapidly. At a conventional air show the altitude would have been seen as a near miss or error.
Yup...we had a jet go tits up at Warton whilst being a Target for ADV testing radar upgrades. Watched it do its stuff a couple of times. TP (David Eagles???) chatting to our jockeys said said something along the lines of "'eff the furriners, build 250 of this baby right now."

To keep on thread, it was much better than a C8

Cromarty

Old-Salt
Ok, back to uniforms. I think they should issue destination specific camouflage uniforms.

Hmmmmm..... that little black dress for today i think Sarn't Major (Chief/Colour/Flight).

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
As a little story.

I was at Duxford a few years back with @re-stilly watching the Typhoon display. That thing can hang in the air on afterburner, and turn slowly on a sixpence. It's bloody impressive.

Slime

LE

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, it got Mussolini, Otto Skorzeny and a Luftwaffe pilot off of the top of the Gran Sasso...
I have never seen an air display like it. It hangs in the air like a dragonfly and can turn without banking seemingly on the spot. Uncanny if you've not seen it.

Desperately difficult to shoot down, apparently.

Because if you didn't give the Royals nice gucci kit you could pay some civvie pilot to intercept the Bears. Thus the UK budget is fixed.

You're welcome. I'll take my consultancy fee in USD.
The fee shouldn’t be an issue. Send me your name, address, bank account details and social insurance number and I will see what I can do..

Latest Threads